Crafting thoughts

Started by Bestatte, May 17, 2003, 07:49:31 AM

My logic is pretty weird so bear with me here...

Disclaimer: I already acknowledge the risk factors involved in various things, but I'm discounting them for a moment...

Clothworkers have no way of making cloth. They have to buy it if they want to turn cloth into clothes or bandages.

Other crafters don't -have- to do this - they can find what they need (again, discounting the risk factor), if they so choose, thus producing an "infinite" profit margin when they successfully create whatever it is they want to create.

I propose a weaving skill added to clothworking. And include foraging on the clothworker skillset.

Require the weaver to be somewhere where a stationary spinning wheel exists, and allow either a handloom for smaller lengths of fabric (for scarves and sashes and pouches and the like) or bigger stationary looms in Houses, or in the Ministry of Trade for those who don't belong to Houses, for a small rental fee (virtual fee, like paying the bard to sing songs, for example).

This would allow the daring clothworker, or the adventurous clothworker, to go out and get their own raw fibre and spin it into cloth.

Possible inclusions:

Flax = to make linen, since linen is made out of flax. The plant is fibrous, and has something akin to nettles which generally causes ones' hands to bleed when harvesting it. So the plant could be made fairly easily accessible since there's the damage factor to consider when attempting it. The seeds are also used as a laxative, so the seeds could be turned into curatives and poisons by physician types.

Cotton = to make sandcloth and non-descript cloth or just plain cotton cloth. Again, picking cotton is grueling work and makes your hands bleed, so it could be made fairly accessible in certain areas of the world. Cottonseed produces oil used in honing and sharpening weapons, and can also be used as a laxative.

Silk = already exists in the documentation...maybe implement it as an actual fibre one can harvest?

This concept would also change how "lengths" of fabric exist. There could now be varying lengths of lengths... so a caftan or djellabah wouldn't require the same amount of cloth as 2 pairs of gloves, for example. One would no longer have to ruin a couple hundred 'sids worth of fabric attempting to create a single sash, because they would now need less fabric in the first place.

In addition, someone with the clothworking or bandagemaking skill would now be able to turn one large length into 2 smaller lengths, and those smaller lengths would -not- be capable of creating larger items. Or they could weave smaller lengths themselves, if they don't want to buy them or "craft" a larger into two smaller.

Thoughts, anyone?

This is good... But I'd like another change earlier.. Please make some birds nest nearby 'nak... So some rangers may use their hollow bones to craft arrows. So 'naki rangers may use archery without needing too much coins. I once saw a bird nearby 'nak, but then tarantulas came and pursued her away I guess. Let her come back... I promise I won't hit her again.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Keeping in mind I dont know much about this... could it be added as a branch skill?  I mean after much working with cloth, one would learn more about how it is made.

Another branch skill could be tailoring.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

To add to the list you have of fabrics:

clumps of escru wool: Probably more common in the north.
then I dont know, the raw form of damask maybe.

I like it.

Awesome Idea! I love it, gives a whole better take on it since for most of the common folk the price of linen is daunting for something that would be made by hand normally. Branching it would be allright I suppose, though If that were the case I'd rather you started with the cloth working and branched to making things with it.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I'm not against the idea of creating fabrics, but I believe the play balance issue was addressed when the tailor subclass was created.  Unlike most crafting subclasses, tailors get the barter skill.  With practice you can get significant discounts on your materials costs and significant bonuses to your selling price, which off-sets the inconvinience of having to buy your raw materials.  That doesn't help much when you are first starting out, but everything sucks when you are first starting out - foraging or hunting for materials when you have no armor or no mount isn't a walk in the park.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins