Movement Delay

Started by brytta.leofa, November 04, 2008, 03:08:44 PM

Quote from: Yokunama on November 06, 2008, 05:38:06 PM
Thats a bad suggestion to combat.

Can you be more specific?  I'm not suggesting increasing movement delays, but possibly rearranging them.

Quote from: Yokunama on November 06, 2008, 05:38:06 PM
I think theres some misunderstanding. Theres 20 rooms until I reach my quit location.

You're arguing against preventing spamwalking altogether?  I'll leave that idea's defense to its more vigorous proponents. :D  My idea on the subject was that movement delay might be longer for spamwalking than it is otherwise.  Either way, you could certainly walk/run the 20 rooms without queuing the commands in the same time you can currently.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I believe what Yokunama means is, when he needs to quit urgently, typing "4n5ese" and then queuing a "quit" is useful sometimes.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

November 18, 2008, 12:01:01 AM #27 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:04:09 AM by elvenchipmunk
If I type east, I would like to move east immediately. I don't want to wait for a delay to kick in, and then move east. I see no reason for a delay to be added before moving into a room. The delay afterwards works fine I think.

As for guarding, well, pick one direction, guard it, and if the target doesn't walk (or run/sneak/fly/whatever) that way then tough luck, I say. If this were implemented and there was a delay before moving, who's to say that the guarder should be able to block someone from leaving? How would that even work? The only time that should work occurs when the guarder is closer to the exit they would like to guard, which is already represented by pre-guarding an exit.

One more thing. I don't think spamwalking should be limited in a coded fashion. A responsible player does not spamwalk when they shouldn't (in the wilderness, chased by raiders and such), whereas a player who is not responsible will likely get a comment from staff or a player complaint, and upon receiving said comment/complaint will likely think twice about spamwalking in certain situations again. So once again, I don't think any coded restrictions should be placed on spamwalking.

My answer is no, I do not like this suggestion.

-Elvenchipmunk
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I -hate- "delay" move "delay". It just simply makes movement too slow and clunky for my tastes. It is the number one irritation I had with SOI. It just simply felt like it took too long to move anywhere. I'm already running into enough time constraints playing Arm as it is now days. I don't need things to go even slower.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

No one is talking about going slower. The proposal is simply to take the delay that happens after movement and make it happen before, rather than after.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Or splitting it between the before and after points.  But again,
Quote from: Tisiphone on November 18, 2008, 09:32:41 AMNo one is talking about going slower.

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 04, 2008, 07:24:50 PM
NPCs would need to be dealt with. While much more "realistic", I'd prefer not to lose more characters to raptors because the move lag happened beforehand, rather than after.

This, and NPCs that flee on sight would be an issue, too. I'd hate for hunting to become that easy, or sneak/hide to lose some of its worth.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on November 18, 2008, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: Tisiphone on November 04, 2008, 07:24:50 PM
NPCs would need to be dealt with. While much more "realistic", I'd prefer not to lose more characters to raptors because the move lag happened beforehand, rather than after.

This, and NPCs that flee on sight would be an issue, too. I'd hate for hunting to become that easy, or sneak/hide to lose some of its worth.
'IF' and 'ELSE' checks are your friends in these sorts of situations. I agree about losing characters to NPCs, but 'IF' and 'ELSE' checks ought to do the trick.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 18, 2008, 09:32:41 AM
No one is talking about going slower.

Actually I was.
I'd like to see it slowed down and spam walking ended, and despite the horrified responses that the idea receives still haven't heard a good counter argument.
... but I was derailing Brytta's thread and it isn't the question on the table. There's merit to the original idea.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on November 18, 2008, 10:03:55 AM
I'd like to see it slowed down and spam walking ended, and despite the horrified responses that the idea receives still haven't heard a good counter argument.

The problem I'd have is that maps are inherently calibrated to a certain range of movement speeds.  People in 'nak, for instance, who are based in the Byn, the Merchant's Quarter, or the Noble's Quarter already spend a fair chunk of time just walking between their "day" schedule and their "night" schedule.

Cut road length in half and it would be a different story.

Melding with my idea: I don't think a pre-movement delay should ever be very long, regardless of the size of the total delay, lest it start to feel laggy and painful.