Draw Shield

Started by fourTwenty, November 01, 2008, 04:32:07 AM

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 13, 2008, 05:15:22 PM
They're called bucklers because they buckle to the forearm. What you have there is a picture of a small shield.

I knew that...

>_>

I'm looking through docs and I think I was mistaken. I'm thinking of the buckler sized shields that archers used. About the size of a buckler, it was used by ranks of archers, rather than single duels like fencers.

QuoteAnother system of protection used by the Byzantines and the Arabs was the use of a shield on the bow arm. This approximately eighteen inch diameter round shield was strapped to the bow arm leaving the hand free to handle the bow. It provides protection from arrows that you do not see coming, as well as giving an active defense against those that you do see.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Maybe it should be a warrior only skill, to represent their prowess in battle. Or maybe we could branch to it from shield use.

Talking about how realistic/unrealistic it would be to draw a shield seems kind of stupid in this case. I mean, if I can deflect an arrow with my sword I'm quite sure I can remove a shield, slide my arm through the strap, and grip the handle without having to completely quit fighting. Though it should take a penalty, maybe like when you pick something up. But I really see drawing a shield as MUCH more realistic and easily imaginable than lots of shit that's already IG.

Plus I really -really- would like to be able to do this.  :P
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 13, 2008, 07:48:26 PMI mean, if I can deflect an arrow with my sword I'm quite sure I can remove a shield, slide my arm through the strap, and grip the handle without having to completely quit fighting.

Wow....you got the Deflect Arrow feat? Cool beans....when do you branch to "Quivering Palm"?
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Bilanthri on November 13, 2008, 08:10:48 PM
Quote from: fourTwenty on November 13, 2008, 07:48:26 PMI mean, if I can deflect an arrow with my sword I'm quite sure I can remove a shield, slide my arm through the strap, and grip the handle without having to completely quit fighting.

Wow....you got the Deflect Arrow feat? Cool beans....when do you branch to "Quivering Palm"?

Never, I took the "Dashing Swordsmen" prestige class instead. +5 to attack as long as I make a witty pun.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?