New to the game.

Started by wolfcub, October 28, 2008, 01:54:39 PM

I was recommanded to play this game by my brother, who, for a number of years had played the game himself. I have limited contact with him and in such have no way to ask questions that might not be answered by the help files and so forth. I first would like to state, hello, and I'm loving the game so far and wish to run straight into my question:

Is there any way to join as merchant house as a worker (for example a hunter or scvanger) withou having to go through a character in-game, in cause of days when or if a recruiter isn't on? And if not, is there a way to have an "appointment" made for a meeting with said recruiter?

Thank you for your time.

Quote from: wolfcub on October 28, 2008, 01:54:39 PM
Is there any way to join as merchant house as a worker (for example a hunter or scvanger) withou having to go through a character in-game, in cause of days when or if a recruiter isn't on? And if not, is there a way to have an "appointment" made for a meeting with said recruiter?

Welcome to Crackaggeddon :)

Recruiting for most organizations happens 100% in character, in the game. So the short answer to your question is "No, you need to find them ICly."

For additional help, you can keep using these forums of course, but a lot of newbies find that talking to a helper: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php is very...helpful.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I believe that generally speaking ... the only way to get into a merchant house without going through a player is to go through a staff-member ... and they'll probably ask you to go through a player if there's an active merchant house PC leader in your area.

Of course that's just my opinion, but I think it's shared by most of the folks here.

My advise would be to maybe post an IC message on the board in one of the popular taverns (keeping the posting rules and regulations in mind ... ie most folks don't read so it should be in the form of a "so and so came in and said ..." format) making your desire to find work known, and also just start asking PC's you meet if they know who to talk to about being hired by a merchant house.

If they give you the name of the PC leader, you can start trying to contact them via the way to arrange a meeting yourself.

Hope that helps, and enjoy the game, I loved it when I first really started playing and getting into it ... heh, not that I don't love it now but ... man, the first high is always the best.  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'd suggest checking the rumor boards and asking around in the bars. If you're lucky, you might run into a recruiter while asking around. If you're less lucky, you should at least glean a name, so that you can attempt to contact them through the Way.

If you're not sure wtf the Way or contact is (I didn't find out about it for awhile, when I was new), check HELP PSIONICS, HELP CONTACT, and HELP BARRIER.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Add-on thought: Hanging out at the tavern and asking PCs who's hiring, and for what jobs, is the most probable technique to lead you to whoever is the current most-active, most-interesting leader PC. ARM is a game where the fun you have is often dependent on those around you, and the current hottest leader in your area is a good bet for getting involved in plots and fun.

What I'm saying is, while it's OK to have determined ahead of time "well, my guy wants to join the Byn (or Salarr, or Kadius, or whoever"...that organization may or may not be where things are happening right now. When I made my first PC, I'd decided ahead of time that she would work for Kadius, and she did, and...it was boring. So I'd recommend flexibility, and going where things are hot right now. Hot = fun for you = serious addiction = a committed player for the rest of us to steal boots from for years to come ;)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

It's not just a matter of joining the most popular clans, either. Sometimes, a clan will have a dozen people in it, because the leader will hire anything that has a pulse. That doesn't make it a good clan to be in, but it does ensure that you'll have some company. On the other hand, a clan with hardly anyone in it, might have more restrictions, or more criteria in hiring. Which means, it won't be as popular, but its employees might be more one-on-one RP attention that the other clans might not get, simply because of the numbers involved.

Then there's the whole time constraint issue. If you can't ever find a leader PC (and you've exhausted all reasonable attempts to find one), then it might not be a good clan for you, because you won't ever have someone available to report to, or pay you, or give you tasks to do. If the leader plays at a completely different time of day, then he won't ever be able to check up on you and make sure you're doing your job, or need anything, or are even still alive.

Lastly, just a little bit of advice - if you are looking for "just any old job" and don't care who you work for, then be patient in your search. Not every employer is willing to hire someone who doesn't care, because loyalty is already a fleeting thing in the world of Armageddon - an employer might want someone who at least offers a -chance- of being a dedicated employee.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Welcome to Armageddon.

Thanks for the boots.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Welcome to Armageddon. Becareful, it is addictive!!
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Welcome to Crackageddon!

Blast you, Malifaxis!  I wanted those boots!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

>Steal boots Malifaxis

Welcome.

Welcome to Arm
If you were to write the imms, they could let said recruiter know to look for you, as well.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Welcome welcome. 

I also heartily recommend being really flexible when selecting a clan to try and join, since I'm in agreement with people who say that your first clan often makes or breaks your experience here.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Welcome to Armageddon.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Welcome to the community.

Please bring all your starting 'sid to the front gate at dawn, and i will teach you all about the wild.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

On behalf of the Armageddon staff, welcome!

A bit of advice...

When (and I do mean when...not if) your character dies, go ahead and get upset. Rant and rave and fume and spit. But if you do it for more than 5 min that's too long. Make a new char. If you don't have at least a dozen chars that have bit the big one in stupid ways, then you're not really getting the whole experience. ;)

>hide
You search for a place to hide.

>mount bahamet

*beep*
Welcome to Armageddon
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

I find stating off with a 'stick out' char eg. lazy, neat freak anything that goes against the Arm grain is not likely to live as long, but that's cool I made a char for each area and one for exploring outside, they all met tragic, or Syntax error deaths.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Another good approach (which won't be to many people's taste but I want to throw it out there), is to create a loyal, obedient minion-type and join an important clan.  By simply sticking around, following the rules, and being in proximity to "power," you'll learn a great deal about the game beyond the mechanics of wandering outside and getting eaten.  You won't just learn basic survival/code/syntax knowledge, but you'll also be introduced to plots and begin to get an inkling for the true potential of the game.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on November 19, 2008, 10:42:08 AM
Another good approach (which won't be to many people's taste but I want to throw it out there), is to create a loyal, obedient minion-type and join an important clan.  By simply sticking around, following the rules, and being in proximity to "power," you'll learn a great deal about the game beyond the mechanics of wandering outside and getting eaten.  You won't just learn basic survival/code/syntax knowledge, but you'll also be introduced to plots and begin to get an inkling for the true potential of the game.

Yup. Took me a while to figure this out.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.