Armageddon Delays.

Started by UnderSeven, May 16, 2003, 05:01:07 PM

A while back I was suggesting arm needed a little more delay and lately I'm thinking either we've been gradually getting it, or my connection is getting gradually slower.  None the less, the thing is, delay on arm and lag on arm really appear to be the same thing.  It makes it so your commands stop untill delay catches up.  Frankly I think this is a poor way to handle delay and as other muds can prove, by far not the only one.

My proposition is this:
When in delay, commands should be enterable, for instance look, score, exit and other such information commands that would not interfere with what the char was up to.  In addition a command such as stop should be implemented.  This would allow someone to stop whatever it is they are doing that is giving them delay.  Granted this would only affect prior delays such as steel:
You quietly approach your target.
Stop
You back away quickly.
Or movement delay.
South. . .
stop. .
You stop in your tracks.
Why do I feel this should be here? Because I think a lot of our delay is unrealistic.  Some of it makes sense, such as kill delay, but even then you should still be able to do some commands such as look or assess.  I even feel some of our delay causes problems, such as that nasty follow quirk where if you follow someone faster than you the delay can end up lasting several minutes, meaning you can't do anything, even fol self.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll be disagreed with, which I find dis heartening, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

P.S. I know not all delay locks up your ability to enter commands, some of it, you can enter a command which will end what you are tring to do.  But I still think the implemintation of a stop command would be nice as a sort of universal way to stop doing something while in delay.

To my knowledge, quite a few of the commands involving delay will allow you to look, assess, score emote and stat without breaking them, Mostly it is just the combat commands which do not allow you to do anything untill the delay is up.

Also, most of the unbreakable commands that don't allow you to do anything during the delay, they delay after the fact, so a break command would not be of much use....hhhmm, come to thing of it, every commant that I use that has delay before you can emot, look etc through, only the ones with delay after and the ones with delay before and after can you not do so...I am sure that is by design.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job