Applying poison to an edged weapon

Started by Desert Wanderer, May 16, 2003, 01:48:44 PM

Is there any particular criteria for applying poison to a sharp edged weapon?  Would it be considered a bug that the code won't let me apply poison to an axe, or is this a balancing feature?

Yes, I have read the help file, it says large weapons.  I picture a great sword, a polearm, longsword or broadsword a large weapon, an axe however is a compact wedge like blade that probably should be able to have poison applied to it.

I am interested in any thoughts on this, and thanks for your time.

-DW

Here is what the help file says:

SKILL_POISONING  (General)  

With this skill, one can attempt to poison a weapon, food, or drink. The poison instilled in such an item varies according to the potency of the actual poison used.

Syntax:
poison <object>

Examples:
> poison waterskin
> poison knife

Notes:
Your character must be holding the poison (i.e., es) in order to use this
skill. Any object to be poisoned needs to be in your inventory.

Failed attempts may result in poisoning your character.

Some weapons are too large or too blunt to poison effectively.

Delay:
none

Most chopping type weapons are essentially blunt instruments with a wedge effect.  Yes, they may have an edge and that edge may be sharp -- however, the attacking style is a "chop," a single wallop, not a long drawn slice or a deep puncture.  As such, they don't have much in the way of penetration into most wounds, and thus would be (essentially) ineffective if coated with poison.  Since the code looks at *whether* you strike your target (rather than *how* you strike your target) prior to attempting to apply a poison effect on the victim, the best way to avoid the problem is to prevent most chopping weapons from being poisoned in the first place.

On the other hand, small knives and daggers are generally designed to nestle themselves deep into a victim, and while not creating as large of a surface wound, create a much -deeper- wound.  Most poisons are most effective when a) a large amount is applied, and b) it has a long time to soak in.  The best way to get that is a deep wound, allowing the poison to be applied the full depth of the wound and preventing the wound from being swiftly cleaned.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Alright, that makes more sense for me.  Thank you for the well thought out response Savak.

-DW