A proper theater

Started by Salt Merchant, October 01, 2008, 05:26:46 PM

I'd like to see coded support for theatrical plays added to the game.

It could be done somewhat like the arena in Allanak, where people sit in the stands and the stage is below. But it would also involved the addition of props that could be manipulated by both those on-stage and "behind the stage", with some of the results visible to the audience.

For example:
- costumes
- backdrops
- on-stage structures such as a building side with a balcony
- trees, carts and other props for the stage that can be set out

All of which could be looked at as though the audience member were in the same room somehow.

"look stage:gith:shield"
"look stage:tree"

etc.

More like Greek and Roman theater than modern times, though.
Lunch makes me happy.

You know... I hate to say this... but...

Ask IC?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

How do you ask IC, for coded support?

"Oh yeah Lord Oash, I know we have that building with the stage. But I mean, I'd like to see people on the stage, wearing costumes and such."

"Right. You can. Just watch."

A bunch of bards emote out some stuff, some of which the audience can see and some of which they can't, because some of it isn't coded to be see-able.

"See, Jojo the Clown just said "Hi there!" and I could see him playing with his rubber red nose, but he wasn't -wearing- a rubber red nose before he got on stage. And he didn't emote turning around to put it on...cause the game code doesn't allow you to see people putting on or taking off clothing if you're in front of the stage and other people are behind it."

Lord Oash oocs, "please keep it IC."

You ooc, "well how do I ooc talking about part of the game code not existing to allow characters to see things they -would- be allowed to see, if the game code existed?"

The entire game crashes, because you are trying to divide by zero.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 01, 2008, 06:43:19 PM
You ooc, "well how do I ooc talking about part of the game code not existing to allow characters to see things they -would- be allowed to see, if the game code existed?"

Find out IC.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm pretty sure the current in game theaters have these things.

Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 06:50:40 PM

:D Someone -always- posts a message like this. More or less along the lines of talking about an ocean and then someone invariably says a puddle's already in the game, implying that that's good enough. It usually isn't.

I'm talking about something a lot more elaborate than what's currently in the game. If anything, what's in the game has been deteriorating. Look at the Bard's Barrel. It -used- to have a stage. The supporting shop has a few little bits of supporting props. Hardly anything at all.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 01, 2008, 07:06:35 PM
Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 06:50:40 PM

:D Someone -always- posts a message like this. More or less along the lines of talking about an ocean and then someone invariably says a puddle's already in the game, implying that that's good enough. It usually isn't.

I'm talking about something a lot more elaborate than what's currently in the game. If anything, what's in the game has been deteriorating. Look at the Bard's Barrel. It -used- to have a stage. The supporting shop has a few little bits of supporting props. Hardly anything at all.

Actually I think they're referring to something else.  I'm not 100% but I do think that the staff have either put this in game, or aware of the need for it.
It is a good idea though, and I'm pretty sure if you went through ic channels you could get something built/purchased/etc.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

October 01, 2008, 07:19:12 PM #8 Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:23:31 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 07:08:20 PM
K.S.S.

Do you mean, K.I.S.S.? Keep it simple, stupid?

I'm not a great fan of simplicity (in a game). It tends to get boring quickly.

At the risk of reductio ad absurdum, if simplicity is to be highly valued, then there's a whole lot in this complicated game that must offend your sensibilities and should be removed.
Lunch makes me happy.

Oh yeah. There's an 'it' in there.

It gets boring, but complex things like that are a nightmare to maintain for staff and players a like.

I'll say simply this, "Salt Merchant, you don't play in Tuluk, do you?"
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on October 01, 2008, 09:53:15 PM
I'll say simply this, "Salt Merchant, you don't play in Tuluk, do you?"

Not so much, but I have had characters visit the bard district there and didn't really see what I was trying to describe. There was a sort of costume shop with a limited selection.  ???
Lunch makes me happy.

Tuluk is well equipped with entertainment venues.

I've actually RPed an elaborate dramatic play in a different MUD (One that also was not coded for it) with a group of other people.  It did involve a bit of OOC planning that moreorless worked the same way as explaining on a forum that "this is the schedule, this is what everyone's role is".  For the most part, it involved a lot a lot of emoting, change ldesc, and cooperation.  It involved emoting walking past backdrops and describing them fluidly there (necessary since the code for backdrops wasn't available there either.) and I also had the aid of a character class which was able to perform illusions, this dropped a kind of an echo in the room to describe music and ambiance.  In addition, I had a tailor that could provide costumes.  Even without the extra help however, I think elaborate emotes that took in the whole scene were by far the most useful tool we had at our disposal.

I'm not advocating that coding is not necessary.  It would make the process completely different, more complete, and much easier.  I just want to encourage you to pursue any artistic ideas you have with your character regardless.  You can work around it at least for now and even later if they don't enter the code you'd prefer.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 11:21:09 PM

You could throw a whole elaborate dramatic play in one of those booths.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on October 01, 2008, 11:52:16 PM
Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 11:21:09 PM

You could throw a whole elaborate dramatic play in one of those booths.

But can you imagine mudsex in one of the theaters?

Someone should do that. And then if someone walks in on them, send me the log... Of them being walks in on. Not the other part. Ugh.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

There definitely is support for this already.  In fact, if you looked around or asked the right people, you would learn more.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

October 02, 2008, 12:35:45 PM #18 Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:41:29 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Nyr on October 02, 2008, 08:23:43 AM
There definitely is support for this already.  In fact, if you looked around or asked the right people, you would learn more.

I suspect there is support to some extent, but:

1. Can characters design and deploy different backdrops without staff intervention?
2. Can the "curtain be lowered" so that activity on the stage is invisible while props are switched around and backdrops exchanged?
3. Can a message be included when the curtain is raised? (e.g. "The curtain rises, revealing a desert beneath the night sky").
4. Is there separation between the stage and the audience (so that audience actions are divided up and don't generally detract from
    the play, for example, when someone decides she needs to start eating)?
5. Can people look at the actors without having endless "<x> looks at <y>" pop up?
6. If there is separation between the stage and the audience, can my character as an audience member for example look at a prop on the
    stage or at the scimitar that one of the gith actors is holding?
7. Are there a full range of, for example, animal costumes available? Tribal costumes? Humanoid costumes? (without staff intervention)
8. Does someone wearing a costume show that in his sdesc?
9. Can various levels of lighting (and smokes or mists) be employed and appear in the stage room's desc?

etc. etc.

Congratulations if all of these are implemented in the game, but I'd be very surprised if they are. That is my point; there is plenty of room for useful elaboration.
Lunch makes me happy.

Er... you're embarking on a detailed critique of something that you didn't realize existed in the game until today?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on October 02, 2008, 12:47:05 PM
Er... you're embarking on a detailed critique of something that you didn't realize existed in the game until today?

I'm not trying to criticize anything. I'm presenting some ideas. If my tone comes across as being critical or disapproving, I'm sorry.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 02, 2008, 12:35:45 PM
Quote from: Nyr on October 02, 2008, 08:23:43 AM

I suspect there is support to some extent, but:

QuoteCongratulations if all of these are implemented in the game, but I'd be very surprised if they are.

You should be moderately surprised, then, and you should also look into this in-character.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on October 02, 2008, 12:58:43 PM

You should be moderately surprised, then, and you should also look into this in-character.

Yes.  Please do.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

As stated, Find out IC. I think you will be more than moderately surprised.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

October 04, 2008, 12:58:21 AM #24 Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 01:06:05 AM by Ampere
Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 01, 2008, 05:26:46 PM
More like Greek and Roman theater than modern times, though.

Greek theatre would be boring, even if you believed in that stupid crap.  Seen Agamemnon in the round?  Kill me now. Some are good.  Lysistrata.  Everyone enjoys a good cock joke; especially if it's two hours -long-... Now that I think about it... Medea was awesome. Greek theatre -is- awesome.  Correction, modern interpretations of greek theatre are awesome. I don't need to see a bunch of men in masks intoning their bs to the gods.

Roman theatre is fairly analygous with the modern western form. Seeing as we based it off them...

Medieval/Renaissancey?  NO MORALITY PLAYS. GAWD. Commedia dell'arte would be the shiznit though.

I tried a clown.  Problem was, unless a person has actually seen a real clown, they're not likely to get what I'm going for.  It's difficult to translate the context without paragraph emotes.  Which nobody would read anyway. Real clowns are awesome.  They're angry.  They're disturbing.  They're hysterical.

Theatre is -alot- of work. Good luck

EDIT: Disclaimer - I'm so tired that the floor is breathing.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

October 04, 2008, 02:45:21 AM #25 Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:47:24 AM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Ampere on October 04, 2008, 12:58:21 AM
Greek theatre would be boring, even if you believed in that stupid crap.

But... but... I want to have the option to put on a crappy play that relies on deus ex machina to resolve the plots!  :'( Greece had its Euripedes; why can't Arm?
Lunch makes me happy.

October 04, 2008, 11:36:21 AM #26 Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:39:30 AM by Ampere
Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 04, 2008, 02:45:21 AM
Quote from: Ampere on October 04, 2008, 12:58:21 AM
Greek theatre would be boring, even if you believed in that stupid crap.

But... but... I want to have the option to put on a crappy play that relies on deus ex machina to resolve the plots!  :'( Greece had its Euripedes; why can't Arm?

Go for it.  Lots of violence.  Lots of sex. --- Could you omit the chorus? As a courtesy.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)