Bartering Multiple Items

Started by jcljules, September 21, 2008, 09:55:35 AM

I just recently discovered that you could offer (item) (item) to trade items with shopkeepers. Its a great feature,  and I'd like to use it a lot with my characters. Unfortunately, you can only trade a single item for one other one; I'd like to see a feature that would allow offering a merchant five obsidian chunks for that expensive armor, instead of having to sell them and then buy the armor. Also, this gets around the problem of merchants not having any coins. Ideas?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on September 21, 2008, 09:55:35 AM
I just recently discovered that you could offer (item) (item) to trade items with shopkeepers. Its a great feature,  and I'd like to use it a lot with my characters. Unfortunately, you can only trade a single item for one other one; I'd like to see a feature that would allow offering a merchant five obsidian chunks for that expensive armor, instead of having to sell them and then buy the armor. Also, this gets around the problem of merchants not having any coins. Ideas?

Good idea for arm.2 but in arm.1 the merchants are all programmed to handle "like" items. In other words, the Salarr *armor* shop won't accept raw goods in exchange for finished products. One thing I thought would be neat though, is if you saw something like this:

inv
a 40-sid sword
You are in the Salarr sword store, and you want to buy item #10, a 100-sid sword.
offer sword #10
The merchant says, in Salarr-accented sirihish, "I gi' ye m'swor' fer yer swor' plus sixt'sid, yarr."
offer sword 40 #10
The merchant says, in Salarr-accented sirihish, "Yarr, good deal."
and takes 40 sids, plus your 40-sid sword, and hands you the 100-sid sword which you got for a 20 sid discount because you have max haggle :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've idea'd these both many times IG over the years.

There are, I think 2 NPC merchants IG right now that will take raw goods in trade for the items they make...personaly I think almost all of them should.

And being able to barter more then one item should be allowed as well, it only makes sense that you should be able to barter the materials to make 3 bows for one finished bow.

I've always loved the barter item deal and actually have idea'd that in certain places it is the only method that should work. I mean really, what use do most the delves, specialy blackwing have for little bits of obsidian too small to even make arrow heads from?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Serious.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: X-D on September 21, 2008, 06:26:11 PM
I've idea'd these both many times IG over the years.

There are, I think 2 NPC merchants IG right now that will take raw goods in trade for the items they make...personaly I think almost all of them should.

And being able to barter more then one item should be allowed as well, it only makes sense that you should be able to barter the materials to make 3 bows for one finished bow.

I've always loved the barter item deal and actually have idea'd that in certain places it is the only method that should work. I mean really, what use do most the delves, specialy blackwing have for little bits of obsidian too small to even make arrow heads from?

I agree completely. I would absolutely love to see this added more than anything to the game; I always find it a bit strange when clans that ICly aren't supposed to like 'sids are willing to accept huge amounts of them for goods.

Barter systems rock. Seems more realistic in zalanthas that majority of the population would be running on a barter system anyhow. And it seems escpecially likely populations would be running a barter system after a cataclysmic fall of society and structure as 2.arm alludes to.

I'm not sure how best to code it, but I know something like the system in fallout 1+2 would be neat, sans graphics. Perhaps we could have a text "sell basket" and a "buy basket" that we could just add too until coming up with a final deal and price that could now be haggled about?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

September 24, 2008, 05:00:34 PM #6 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:19:59 AM by The7DeadlyVenomz

> offer shield for sword
The Merchant says to you:
   "Nah, that's only worth about one-fifth of what a sleek copper sword is worth."

> offer shield arrow for sword
   "Nah, that's only worth about four-fifth of what a sleek copper sword is worth."

> offer shield dagger dagger arrow for sword
   "Hey, now. That's an offer I can deal with."

> barter
The Merchant takes a worn wooden shield, a couple of flint daggers,
and a grey-fletched, iron-headed arrow from you and gives you a
sleek copper sword.

Editted to add the qualifier 'for' per X - D's suggestion.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yes, though you are missing one thing that would be needed, the trigger to let it know which section the offer is, like "into" is for crafting.:) offer dagger dagger arrow for sword (or item number). I doubt if modifying even the current script for barter and even haggle would be too hard to allow for multiple item barter. Just couple lines to add up the values of what is before "for" or after.

Course, to really make it nifty you would need to make it so you could go the other direction as well.

Offer iron for #1 #7 #14 (when #= items of a combined lesser value then what you are selling)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I like this idea a lot  :)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Seems like everyone likes this idea; I really like 7DVs implementation of it. Think we'll ever see this in game?