Alternatives to clan cooks

Started by Xygax, September 11, 2008, 03:14:07 PM

Which of these alternatives do you prefer, and why?  "If other", please be specific.

Remove them entirely.
Cooks should only remove hunger.
Cooks should deliver crappier food.
Leave them the same.
Other.
Quote from: Yam on September 22, 2008, 05:14:33 PM
You guys should probably stop posting those lists as they all get edited for speculating about/containing IC information.

Everyone note, my list above is completely hypothetical.

If any of those clans already do, or dont, have clan cooks is not reflected.

That is simply the setup I would prefer if I had my choice.

Again, there are no verified facts posted in my list.

(Better?)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

September 22, 2008, 05:42:33 PM #176 Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:52:11 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Salt Merchant on September 22, 2008, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: Desertman on September 22, 2008, 05:01:21 PM
Tzai Byn = No/Yes = No for lower ranks (Sergeant and below). Yes for upper ranks. (Lieutenant and above)

That would suck.

Let me say it again. That would suck.

New Runner? No food, no water, you paid THEM 300 coins, you're not allowed out of the city on your own, you either have no armor or no coins left, dependent as a baby on the Sergeant. Why not just rename the clan the "Coocoo's Nest", with mama Sergeant out hunting all of the time to bring back worms to feed the ravenous fledglings?

I was actually thinking that the runners/troopers/sergeants would be forced to use coins from their contracts to buy food.

Anyone who knows shit about the Byn, knows that a self respecting mercenary would NEVER be caught "hunting" as you put it, for their food.

The next arguement being..."Well, what if we dont have a Sergeant who is active enough/good enough to get us enough contracts to keep us fed?"

Impeach that bitch. The next time you go out on a training run, make sure he has an accident because you and the rest of the boys are tired of his piss poor leadership and being hungry all of the damn time.

I guarantee you any Runner/Trooper who has ever played under me can vouch that basic food and supplies would be no problem to obtain through funds gotten from contracts.

I dont want to post numbers, because I kept formulated excel charts for each RL week reflecting the exact number of coins paid to each member of my unit, but trust me, if a Byn leader is worth a shit, his Runners will atleast be able to swill crap ale and eat travel cakes until they make Trooper. And then, they will be living relatively well.

The Byn is my baby, I love it, like a mother would love her only fatherless child that gets picked on by all of the other kids. I hate the fact it has gotten a NEWBIE CAMP face painted on it over the years. Some of the best roleplayers I have ever encountered, scratch that, THE BEST roleplayers I have ever encountered were Byn mercenaries. It is not a newbie camp, I dont care what anyone says, thats not what it fucking is.

If you have a Byn leader who does a shit job and cant supply his mercenaries, he doesnt deserve to be a Byn leader. I might be a bit of an elitist about it, but I dont care if its due to IC or OOC reasons, if your Byn leader is a shit Byn leader, that fucker needs to resign, or he deserves to be killed. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

(I will also note that due to some "changes" instated recently by Byn staff, if I agree with them or not is irrelevant, supplying yourself based on contract money would be about 50% easier than it was the last time I actually wore stripes. So feel free to DOUBLE my enthusiasm posted above regarding a Byn mercs ability to feed themselves.)

I think it's actually ok that there is more than one way to approach clans and cooks and rangers and things. I don't think any one is inherently better than another. If you show up willing to play with a certain (ooc) generosity of spirit you can't go too far wrong.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

That list just pertains to how he would like to see it. I agree with Desertman, except for the Bynn, of course.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on September 22, 2008, 08:02:49 PM
That list just pertains to how he would like to see it. I agree with Desertman, except for the Bynn, of course.

What I want for the Byn reflects what would be the most fun for me personally. Of course, that doesnt mean it reflects what would be best for the clan over all.

I have been trying to figure out a way to get this "Newbie School" tag off the greatest clan in the game for years. Taking away the infinite food for newbies is just one more step in that direction, so that definantly gets my vote.

If I was a man looking for a job, and I picked one up in a compound that I am not aloud outside from, except in evenings, and on contract. I would expect to be fed.

I also like the idea of food become a more important resource, one worth de-throneing your sarge for.

As an outrageous super noob I can't imagin living without some tasty support,

As I get a little more involved and experienced I see that it isn't so bad, but I still needed that sweet Buxom stew to get me started.

I suppose this didn't help at all, to not be a 'I love everyone, fence sitting forum noob' I vote leave them as is, but would still play regardless.

Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Yet another thread, brought back to life by AJM, the thread NEEEEEECROMAAAAANCAHHH!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 19, 2008, 07:01:57 PM
Yet another thread, brought back to life by AJM, the thread NEEEEEECROMAAAAANCAHHH!
Which is, as I view it, better than creating another thread on the topic. Noobs reading old threads makes me happy.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Me too, especially since I wasn't here when this thread was in its prime. Yet I'm playing now and any action taken by the imms based upon the thread would affect me.

I do not like them, Sam I am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

What I mean is, WTF? Please, please, don't mess with the cooks. For some people in clans, being able to get regular meals of some sort is important. I would rather keep things as they are. As LoD noted, the food objects allow for some really good roleplay at times. As props. Also, I am not in favor of worsening the food, of limiting the quantity or any such thing.

When you have an active, thriving, clan where there are more than a few PCs recruited, I would not like someone to go hungry because we 'ran out'. It would be just another hurdle to throw into the faces of those PCs trying to lead the clan in whatever capacity they might. I am not in favor of moves that takes away their support base, at all.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: deviant storm on December 04, 2008, 08:51:12 AM

When you have an active, thriving, clan where there are more than a few PCs recruited, I would not like someone to go hungry because we 'ran out'. It would be just another hurdle to throw into the faces of those PCs trying to lead the clan in whatever capacity they might. I am not in favor of moves that takes away their support base, at all.

Most of the times that limiting the food was mentioned, it was talking about pne PC only being allowed to gt a certain amount per game day, that keeps them from filling up a pack full of free food and what-not.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 04, 2008, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: deviant storm on December 04, 2008, 08:51:12 AM

Most of the times that limiting the food was mentioned, it was talking about pne PC only being allowed to gt a certain amount per game day, that keeps them from filling up a pack full of free food and what-not.

Erm, why would that be a problem? Most of the cooks are at estates that are FOREVER away from where most people RP. Walking all the way back EVERY TIME you get hungry? No thank you. Put some bread or ginka fruit in your pack and get going!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I think all Clans should have go to and provide their own meat and material that clan cooks can then use. It'll give some more stuff to do at least, especially when I've noticed, alot of people tend to have pantrys with a billion uneaten food items in there while relying on the adjacent cook.

I think they should go away completely -- however, I believe a few things would be helpful here.

1)  make bodies of some of the animals easier to carry.   Maybe a hunter can buy a special sling which can hold the corpse or something -- but a way so the emphasis is on hunting for food.

2)  For small PC clans Imms can simply keep the food and water supply up.  But, for larger PC clans (5 or so) offer the job to a PC.  Like the Byn could hire a cook/ aide.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on December 09, 2008, 11:22:43 AM
I think they should go away completely -- however, I believe a few things would be helpful here.

1)  make bodies of some of the animals easier to carry.   Maybe a hunter can buy a special sling which can hold the corpse or something -- but a way so the emphasis is on hunting for food.

2)  For small PC clans Imms can simply keep the food and water supply up.  But, for larger PC clans (5 or so) offer the job to a PC.  Like the Byn could hire a cook/ aide.
>get body
>pack body mount
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

The way they are now, I believe for lower-ranks like hunters who bring in masses of meat from hunts and such - The meat never finds any good use. It literally sits there for IC months before someone either pulls them out to spam-cook or junks them.

For the poll, I choose "Other" because I think it's possible to have a mixture of everything.

Leave the cooks - But put a daily limit to what they serve or make it to where they serve servant-ranked clan members at certain times, throughout the day.

Hungry but just got in at the middle of the night? Tough luck - That's why you need to chow in the morning when the cooks are making food en-masse for everyone.

Dawn, High Sun, and Dusk would be the ideal times, I'd think. Dawn - Everyone's up and about to ride out. High Sun would be typically slow if the hunters are out, but it would satisfy low-ranked crafters and any other folks who didn't ride out with the rest.

By the time Dusk rolls around, people should be calling it a day and heading back in.

If your starved but their not serving - That's why we have clan food-bins filled with, what would you know, FOOD!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

December 13, 2008, 04:38:57 PM #190 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:43:38 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 13, 2008, 03:19:23 PM
The way they are now, I believe for lower-ranks like hunters who bring in masses of meat from hunts and such - The meat never finds any good use. It literally sits there for IC months before someone either pulls them out to spam-cook or junks them.

For the poll, I choose "Other" because I think it's possible to have a mixture of everything.

Leave the cooks - But put a daily limit to what they serve or make it to where they serve servant-ranked clan members at certain times, throughout the day.

Hungry but just got in at the middle of the night? Tough luck - That's why you need to chow in the morning when the cooks are making food en-masse for everyone.

Dawn, High Sun, and Dusk would be the ideal times, I'd think. Dawn - Everyone's up and about to ride out. High Sun would be typically slow if the hunters are out, but it would satisfy low-ranked crafters and any other folks who didn't ride out with the rest.

By the time Dusk rolls around, people should be calling it a day and heading back in.

If your starved but their not serving - That's why we have clan food-bins filled with, what would you know, FOOD!

The accumulations of food in the clan stores represents several RL years of play. If the clan members became dependent on the stores and hunting to feed themselves, I predict the accumulations would be eaten up in no time and clan members would start starving as soon as their coin ran out.

Think about it. Say there are six active members. So they go out on a scrab hunt. They'd have to bag six scrabs, skinning them perfectly, and cooking the meat perfectly, to have two pieces of meat and a scrab head each. After eating that, they're all hungry again in two hours RL and back out they go, two hours later. Oh, but wait. Now there's a heavy sandstorm going and no scrabs left in the wastes. What to do?

The game just can't sustain that level of hunting, and eighteen pieces of meat every two hours would wipe out the storeroom fast. Even worse if there are a bunch of stay-at-homers depending on the hunters.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on December 13, 2008, 04:38:57 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 13, 2008, 03:19:23 PM

The accumulations of food in the clan stores represents several RL years of play. If the clan members became dependent on the stores and hunting to feed themselves, I predict the accumulations would be eaten up in no time and clan members would start starving as soon as their coin ran out.

Think about it. Say there are six active members. So they go out on a scrab hunt. They'd have to bag six scrabs, skinning them perfectly, and cooking the meat perfectly, to have two pieces of meat and a scrab head each. After eating that, they're all hungry again in two hours RL and back out they go, two hours later. Oh, but wait. Now there's a heavy sandstorm going and no scrabs left in the wastes. What to do?

The game just can't sustain that level of hunting, and eighteen pieces of meat every two hours would wipe out the storeroom fast. Even worse if there are a bunch of stay-at-homers depending on the hunters.
You kind've missed the entire reason of my post.

In fact, I only mentioned the food-bin as something to use for emergencies.

I suggested that cooks, instead of turning around and tossing out a freshly grilled steak each time you asked - A Cook was only "open" to serve anyone with the rank of servant during Dawn, High sun and Dusk.

Your argument makes it seem as if I planned on removing cooks all-together.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Heh, I really wonder if many of you have ever played even a middling good ranger or warrior with hunter sub.

With any that I have ever had, I could easily feed an active clan of up to 8 PCs while hunting less then 1 RL hour per day, And this includes cooking fails. With 2 good rangers or warriors even, there would be so much food left over it gets silly. And this can be done both north and south.

When I had my last bynner, Tarq, who was a warrior/merc. Taking 3 PCs with him, one being a ranger, and hunting for about an hour a day for a RL week. We were able to fill 8 large bags completly Full of meat...with ease. Thats like 60-90 items per bag. I estimated that as enough food for the entire PC population of the clan for 1 IC year. And if you have one or two good PC cooks, you actually end up with even more food then you started with.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Some of us don't like to overhunt so badly.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on December 13, 2008, 05:28:52 PM
I've always thought the people worrying about overhunting were a bit on the TOO realistically roleplayed side.

My personal view is unless the admin stop scrabs from being generated, kill the bastards!

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 05:30:39 PM
I've always thought the people worrying about overhunting were a bit on the TOO realistically roleplayed side.

I always thought people who hunted like that were way on the H&S side.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Quote from: fourTwenty on December 13, 2008, 05:34:26 PM

When I have been employed to kill and skin things, it's what I did.  I never did it indy, not to the amount we are talking here, because you really can't make all that much profit off killing six scrabs in a single trip.  After a few pieces are sold to the merchants you're done and now you have all these stones of goopy insect parts to carry around.

If your employed as say a Salarri hunter where you feed six real people, plus countless vnpcs, you hunt every day you work, taking one or two days off a week for your own time.  That's your job.

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: fourTwenty on December 13, 2008, 05:34:26 PM

When I have been employed to kill and skin things, it's what I did.  I never did it indy, not to the amount we are talking here, because you really can't make all that much profit off killing six scrabs in a single trip.  After a few pieces are sold to the merchants you're done and now you have all these stones of goopy insect parts to carry around.

If your employed as say a Salarri hunter where you feed six real people, plus countless vnpcs, you hunt every day you work, taking one or two days off a week for your own time.  That's your job.

1 RL week. 8 bags of meat. 60-90 items. = Overhunting

Working enough in 1RL week to "feed an entire clan for a year" is not your job. It's overdoing it.

You say Potato, I say Pototo.  We agree to disagree.

JaRoD

Actually, there was a reason for it and VERY IC.

Second, Oooh, one IC day per RL day hunting...Wow, how horrible. Over hunting my ass, a good ranger can fill a large bag rather quickly and with suprisingly few kills. Four people taking 4 animals each is far from over hunting, you would not think a ranger going out 1 time per IC week taking 4 animals as over hunting.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job