A discussion of stats.

Started by Jingo, September 07, 2008, 02:57:44 AM

??? Doesn't a year IG time take a month and a half RL time? So mutiple years to balance out your stats would be multiple months

I think I've had a handful of characters live that long, regardless of stats.

Ah, true enough I guess....

But still, pretty much the only way to get any stats below average in the first place is to make a character really old/young, and improper prioritization in accordance to age and class/race selection.

Yeah I'm just arguing for the sake of it.

I don't agree that bad stats happen due to extremes in age and priority alone.  In truth, I've had the character gen sit me with something like poor below average poor average on a perfectly situation for class/race/role stat priority.  Rerolled into pretty much the same thing.  Some times, the bones don't roll like you want them to.  And for what its worth, there's no question at all that stats have a *massive* impact on play for any coded activity, but that doesn't mean the character is going to be totally worthless.

boooooo stats
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on October 13, 2009, 05:16:42 PM
boooooo stats

hahahaha... oh I know the feeling well my friend.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Your strength is very good, your agility is extremely good,
  your wisdom is exceptional, and your endurance is extremely good.

My fear of getting stats like the above on a character planned to be a throwaway is why I don't make throwaways.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

But if you don't make throw away's you never get stats like that. Ginka can sense these things.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on October 13, 2009, 08:53:27 PM
But if you don't make throw away's you never get stats like that. Ginka can sense these things.

No kidding. Back in my early Arm career, when I only played throw-aways, almost every single character of mine had amazing stats.

Not so much anymore.

Yep. I wonder if it's an algorithm that just checks the length of your character description and background, and gives that an inverse relation to your stat rolls to make the more you care about the concept, the worse the rolls turn out.

Quote from: musashi on October 14, 2009, 03:19:20 AM
Yep. I wonder if it's an algorithm that just checks the length of your character description and background, and gives that an inverse relation to your stat rolls to make the more you care about the concept, the worse the rolls turn out.

No joke. My longest-lived, best-statted character had an mdesc and a biography that were each a grand total of four sentences long.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Well...there's something to be said for conciseness (especially in mdescs!). Perhaps the game is trying to endorse it? ;)

Playing a character with bad stats is not fun.

Quote from: Yam on October 17, 2009, 03:48:12 AM
Playing a character with bad stats is not fun.

Some of my favorite characters have had one or more stats that were pathetic. Actually, I can't think of a single character I've had with awesome stats that ended up memorial. One character had stats that were across-the-board abysmal, to the point where there were severe playability issues.  Worst stats I've ever seen; I strongly considered a second hour suicide.  But I ended up having plenty of fun, due mostly to his clan leader and peers.

The circumstances my PCs are in seem to count a lot more than the character's stats, as far as fun is concerned.

Am I the only one that uses wisdom as a dump stat anymore?

The way I figure it, if I get a character with decent strength, agility, and endurance, I can manage to make him last for a good while..... So I'm a-okay with learning at a snail's pace.

But that's just me.

-shrug-

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 17, 2009, 08:12:37 AM

The way I figure it, if I get a character with decent strength, agility, and endurance, I can manage to make him last for a good while..... So I'm a-okay with learning at a snail's pace.

But that's just me.

-shrug-

Excluding certain exceptions, I'm in agreement with you.  I know one player (a few years back), who had eg for every stat except for below average wisdom.

They suicided.

But that's just me.

-shrug-

It would be interesting if wisdom actually affected your skill caps in a global fashion.  I suspect something would have to be done about skill branch points if this happened, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

But that's just me.

-shrug-

I've dumped everything but endurance, depending on the character concept. Endurance is the one thing I don't think I could stand having a Poor in, regardless of the character.

I dump endurance because I like to live on the edge.

I just play people under the age of 35 and let Ginka dump Strength and Endurance for me automatically ... because that's just how I roll. 70 hps FTMFW.

:'(