Tools vs. crafts

Started by Salt Merchant, September 03, 2008, 05:42:36 AM

I'd like to see some indication of a tool or tool being used during crafting. It isn't always obvious which tool will be useful for which purpose, as things stand. I don't think that's reasonable: it should be obvious whether a tool is useful or not.

For example, instead of seeing a message similar to this upon beginning to craft something:

Positioning the sandcloth, you begin to work with the soft material.

One would see instead:

Positioning the sandcloth and using your pair of embroidery scissors, you begin to work with the soft material.

It wouldn't just go by the tools held in one's hands. If you hold an auger or a lumber axe while making sandcloth wraps, they'd not be mentioned as they don't participate in the outcome. Only if the tool is actually used for the purpose would they get a mention.
Lunch makes me happy.

I'm not sure about the idea as posted, but...

I imagine, in the current version of Arm, something like, "This tool is used for stonecrafting." could be added into the assess command. Its basically a description change. It would be a time-consuming and tedious task, but with the current crafting project ongoing... it would prove very, very useful to players. Maybe if enough people mentioned that they wanted something like this, a sympathetic imm might volunteer.

Plus, I'll buy them beer.

I know it can be seen (forget when), but I really really really (lots more reallys!) like the original idea.  It gives people a sense that buying all those 'prop-type' items is for a reason, not to mention the people that don't (which I've been guilty of) when its for something you really should need (ie a needle for clothworking...duh!).

Also good for newbies, they get a sense of what is useful to them, for example, I know I had a conversation about what the awls were useful for (google came up with leatherworking or woodworking, but I never did find out what Arm ones were good for).

Perhaps if you were tailoring while holding a lumber axe, you'd be more likely to rip the cloth apart because you're a fool? :)

In short, Salt Merchant's idea is GOOD!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I'd prefer to keep it how it is and use emote to add my own style to my crafting.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: helix on September 03, 2008, 05:59:54 AM
I imagine, in the current version of Arm, something like, "This tool is used for stonecrafting." could be added into the assess command.

This is already in the game.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

September 03, 2008, 11:27:41 AM #5 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:48:06 AM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 03, 2008, 10:44:12 AM
Quote from: helix on September 03, 2008, 05:59:54 AM
I imagine, in the current version of Arm, something like, "This tool is used for stonecrafting." could be added into the assess command.

This is already in the game.

Not in a very helpful way. A vague description that doesn't provide much guidance when materials are useful for more than one sort of crafting ability.

The truth is that the system is inconsistent, too. Why should a hide scraper be useful in making a hide scraper, for example, while a hammer and chisel, a file and a stone rasp are not? The character is often left not really knowing which tool to apply to a particular material, when in fact she or he really should know, especially when increasingly skilled.
Lunch makes me happy.

I think tools can either provide a bonus to a) a specific craft skill and b) a specific material type.  I am not 100% on the second, but I think that is why there are things that help with clothworking and frabricworking, for instance.

As for determining if something is going to be useful, there is a way of doing that already, if you are observant.  Problem is that it is only going to be effective at certain points in time.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on September 03, 2008, 02:27:15 PM
As for determining if something is going to be useful, there is a way of doing that already, if you are observant.  Problem is that it is only going to be effective at certain points in time.

And only for materials that can be used to create more than one product of the same class.

I'd prefer a clean and direct means. It only makes sense for this.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: jhunter on September 03, 2008, 10:27:36 AM
I'd prefer to keep it how it is and use emote to add my own style to my crafting.

I would expect it to be a personal echo, not a room echo.  The room would still see, "The lanky-haired woman starts crafting/whatever it actually is).

Just helps crafters know what things are used for, what tools they might like to keep to hand, or what to research for the less well known crafts (I wouldn't know where to start with emoting for tanning, but I know roughly how a needle works for tailoring, for instance!).
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi

September 04, 2008, 09:32:53 AM #9 Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:01:30 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Kyviantre on September 03, 2008, 08:54:50 AM
Perhaps if you were tailoring while holding a lumber axe, you'd be more likely to rip the cloth apart because you're a fool? :)

>ep scimitar
You brandish a bloodied wicked clawed scimitar

>es axe
You hold a dual bladed war axe.

>craft cloth cloth cloth into a blue hooded aba
Are you f-in' crazy?  You'll rip it to shreds!

:D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Makes sense!  If you've got weapons in you're hands, you're going to be ham-fisted when it comes to delicate crafting! ..nice concept for a half-giant though...using an obsidian shortsword as a needle :D