Hot Button Issue: Sexism

Started by Ampere, August 20, 2008, 10:21:33 PM

Quote from: Clearsighted on August 21, 2008, 07:56:17 PM
Quote from: Desertman on August 21, 2008, 07:13:39 PM
My raiders are typically VERY sexist.

My raiders are usually rapists.

(I only play straight characters, so, yeah)

Its hard for me to play a mean raider rapist without being sexist.

My PC's consider the opposite sex nothing but a vessel for his own enjoyment. Something he catches, like prey, like a lesser creature, then holds down, and gets his enjoyment, before killing them. Its hard to treat that object like it isnt naturally designed to be your subordinant and still play the role realistically.

So yeah, its ok to be extremely sexist sometimes, depending on the PC.

There are some who would claim that not raping men and women equally means you are blatantly running roughshod over the docs and are a horrible Arm player because of it.

So if I'm playing a merchant and you don't rape my PC, expect me to be extremely offended at your sexist intolerance.

/Sarcasm
//Or was it?

Yeah well, I don't think you just proved what you were trying to prove.
Rape is pretty much by definition a sex crime.  The idea of a guy getting raped is somehow still outlandish and amusing to us.

Running around raping women is pretty obviously sexist.  And if you want to get deeper into it, I don't really have any respect for anyone who wants to spend their free time pretending to rape women anyway. 
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I don't think feminine clothing equates to sexism.

I don't think men wearing skirts equates to non-sexism.

I do think the game needs more kilts, though.  Perhaps they will be the popular style in one of Arm 2's cities.

Quote from: staggerlee on August 21, 2008, 10:12:57 PM

My PC's consider the opposite sex nothing but a vessel for his own enjoyment. Something he catches, like prey, like a lesser creature, then holds down, and gets his enjoyment, before killing them. Its hard to treat that object like it isnt naturally designed to be your subordinant and still play the role realistically.

There are some who would claim that not raping men and women equally means you are blatantly running roughshod over the docs and are a horrible Arm player because of it.

So if I'm playing a merchant and you don't rape my PC, expect me to be extremely offended at your sexist intolerance.

/Sarcasm
//Or was it?

Rape is pretty much by definition a sex crime.  The idea of a guy getting raped is somehow still outlandish and amusing to us.

Running around raping women is pretty obviously sexist.  And if you want to get deeper into it, I don't really have any respect for anyone who wants to spend their free time pretending to rape women anyway. 

I think Desertman meant it more from an angle of sexual orientation.

Is he being a sexist by not having his character rape as many men as he does women... or is he just playing a straight rapist?

Personally, I don't think sexual attraction to (and by extension, rape of) one gender over another automatically equates to sexism.

Of course, rape is not a sex-motivated crime, primarily, but this is not the place to get into it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on August 21, 2008, 11:54:14 PM

I think Desertman meant it more from an angle of sexual orientation.

Is he being a sexist by not having his character rape as many men as he does women... or is he just playing a straight rapist?

Personally, I don't think sexual attraction to (and by extension, rape of) one gender over another automatically equates to sexism.

Unfortunately it's hard to argue that without getting into this:

Quote from: Fathi
Of course, rape is not a sex-motivated crime, primarily, but this is not the place to get into it.

And you're absolutely right, that's not something that needs to be discussed here.
I probably shouldn't have said anything about the rape thing, it just gets under my skin and is somewhat off topic.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I have only ever been raped by Zalanthan insects, and I am pretty sure those instances have been solely for procreation.

Quote from: Yam on August 22, 2008, 12:15:43 AM
I have only ever been raped by Zalanthan insects, and I am pretty sure those instances have been solely for procreation.

One of my elves was insect-raped for the enjoyment of the population of Allanak.  :'(

And he survived!

Until he got raped again by Davaz  :'(

F U KURAC!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

My character is treated differently because she's a girl. Should I roleplay as though other people aren't roleplaying that my character is treated differently because she's a girl?

Hm.

I don't really want to do that.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 22, 2008, 12:13:29 PM
Should I roleplay as though other people aren't roleplaying that my character is treated differently because she's a girl?

Yep. Has always worked for me. Sometimes they just need a good, hard beating before they can understand that, yes, women ARE fighters and women ARE authority figures in Zalanthas ;) Warning: May cause groupies.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

My character is treated differently because she's a girl. Should I roleplay as though other people aren't roleplaying that my character is treated differently because she's a girl?

When playing youngish male characters, I haven't had a problem with youngish female characters ogling them, trying to buy them drinks at random, or striking up awkward and pointless conversations.

But I certainly don't let that stop me from doing it in reverse. :D
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

August 22, 2008, 12:57:24 PM #59 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:00:06 PM by Desertman
Quote from: staggerlee on August 21, 2008, 10:12:57 PM

/Sarcasm
//Or was it?

To verify, I only do rape RP IRL.

I am strictly a fade to black person in game regardless of if I am raping my latest victim or just having a "mate".

Though I dont think I have ever really had a mate, but if I did, I would be fade to black only.

And...Running around raping women is pretty obviously sexist.

If you are trying to say that my having a sexual preference for females and a sexual aversion to copulating with males makes me sexist...Well fuck it, I'm sexist, I dont put my penis, virtual or not, into anything that doesnt have a vagina.

I would really hate to think that the arguement here is..."If you arent bi-sexual, you are sexist."

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Malken on August 21, 2008, 07:34:19 PM
Quote from: ale six on August 21, 2008, 07:24:20 PM
The girliest, sexiest girls are played by guys.

My insanely huge AIM list of real life women playing girliest, sexiest girls on Arm and providing me with endless dramaz daily prove j00 wrong!

Hehe, ok ok, I'll be the one to ask....

RL girlfriend?

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 22, 2008, 12:35:45 PM

When playing youngish male characters, I haven't had a problem with youngish female characters ogling them, trying to buy them drinks at random, or striking up awkward and pointless conversations.

But I certainly don't let that stop me from doing it in reverse. :D

You obviously don't play around any of my characters.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Desertman on August 22, 2008, 01:00:55 PM

My insanely huge AIM list of real life women playing girliest, sexiest girls on Arm and providing me with endless dramaz daily prove j00 wrong!

RL girlfriend?

Is that a yes or no question? Or you want to know which one in the AIM list is my gilfriend, or, gasp, her GDB handle?!

My girlfriend plays often around my current character, now you have to find out who my character is!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on August 22, 2008, 01:12:31 PM
My girlfriend plays often around my current character, now you have to find out who my character is!

And her characters are some of the least girly I've ever seen.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 22, 2008, 01:14:25 PM

And her characters are some of the least girly I've ever seen.

Watching both of them makes me feel very girly, in a manly kind of way. Or maybe that's manly, in a girly kind of way.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

August 22, 2008, 01:18:03 PM #65 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:19:43 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Desertman on August 22, 2008, 01:00:55 PM

RL girlfriend?

Is that a yes or no question? Or you want to know which one in the AIM list is my gilfriend, or, gasp, her GDB handle?!

Wanted to know which GDB handle was your RL girlfriend. Thats juicy gossip. :)

And I know who your current pc is. hehe. I often fap it to your mudsexorz, you need better scan. Bwaahahha.

Quote from: Desertman on August 22, 2008, 01:18:03 PM
And I know who your current pc is. hehe. I often fap it to your mudsexorz, you need better scan. Bwaahahha.

Or to actually want to use it!

I like me an audience ^_^

Er, sorry for the derail, you can all go back to hating beautiful young ladies, now!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: ale six on August 21, 2008, 07:24:20 PMThe girliest, sexiest men are played by girls.

I've played some pretty girly men.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Malken on August 22, 2008, 01:23:38 PM
Quote from: Desertman on August 22, 2008, 01:18:03 PM

Or to actually want to use it!

I like me an audience ^_^

Er, sorry for the derail, you can all go back to hating beautiful young ladies, now!

I use your mudsex emotes IRL.

The wife is there, all bent over, I have printed out copies laying on her back....Reading glasses on....I must admit, sometimes, some of the things you do, are very hard to pull off IRL. The thing with the shoe and the half a kalan fruit was by far, the most taxing. (We substituted a cantelope for the kalan fruit, its all we had on hand at the time, and I was already hot and bothered from reading the text.)

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 22, 2008, 01:09:40 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 22, 2008, 12:35:45 PM

You obviously don't play around any of my characters.

More's the pity.

I do wish to point out that playing a male (and, presumably, a Tisiphonic female) under the age of 20 would be pointless without the look echo.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 22, 2008, 01:31:57 PM
I do wish to point out that playing a male (and, presumably, a Tisiphonic female) under the age of 20 would be pointless without the look echo.

The look echo is hot.

In fact, I wish characters would "look" more. It can be very meaningful.

Quote from: Sokotra on August 21, 2008, 09:35:46 PM
Wow, I think we are trying to get a little too deep here.  I think the feminine shoes just means they are girly shoes.  Feel free to wear them if you have a male PC, I guess.  Not my cup of tea, exactly... but I won't say anything except "nice shoes".  Heh.

Hm . . . perhaps I wasn't being clear enough, although I think you actually summed up the question in one sentence:

QuoteI think the feminine shoes just means they are girly shoes.

In a world without ANY gender differences aside from child-bearing, does such a concept as "girly" exist?  As in, characteristics that a girl would be more likely to have than a boy?  This has actually been one of the few persistent stumbling blocks for my own rp, right alongside the Zalanthan concept of the inner life (Do they have a concept of the subconscious per se, for example?) and how to approach abstract things like Compassion and Honor that are typically considered pillar virtues in the Western world but may not exist in the same forms in our shared fictional playground.
     I realize that an OOC decision was made to present a gender-neutral world.  I applaud this.  What I'm trying to get at is how to incorporate this, as much as is feasible, into the role-play.  As a necessary OOC creature, it's never going to be a perfect fit, but I'd still like to try.
     For some reason, adapting thought-patterns and IC behaviors to be in line with despotic hierarchies and a pre-Renaissance (let alone Enlightenment) mindset hasn't been as difficulty as this particular bug-a-boo.  Sorry for rambling.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I always thought that 'feminine' and 'masculine' with regards to clothing were meant to communicate their shape and look to the players, not any manner of cultural biases to the characters.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on August 22, 2008, 02:03:11 PM
I always thought that 'feminine' and 'masculine' with regards to clothing were meant to communicate their shape and look to the players, not any manner of cultural biases to the characters.

So a "masculine" shoe might have, say, a more blocky style than a "feminine" shoe, but be worn interchangeably by either sex?

Something like that, yes. Bears up pretty well when you read the mdesc, I think.