Sex!

Started by The Lonely Hunter, May 10, 2003, 03:08:44 PM

Sex command?

No sex, I should be in control of everything!
43 (62.3%)
I like it! Give me a chance to get a disease or become pregnant!
26 (37.7%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: May 10, 2003, 03:08:44 PM

I was thinking about how many PCs have sex on Armageddon, virtually (fade to black type) or actually played out. I think more then half have done it at some point.

Now, I think adding a 'sex' command could be very cool.

(private echoes)
The tall, dark, sexy man has entered the sex command.
-sex sexy- You agree to the sex.

It could add a random chance based on some factors if the female becomes pregnant or, if one of them has one, a chance of passing a temp std.

It would be intresting to see some noble running around with 'stained' pants because he caught the drip heh. Other diseases can sap the PCs max stam/stun for a time, just be a RP tool with no coded effects, or whatever else you can think of.

Random Sat thoughts! What do you think?
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Ooh... I've seen it done as an add on to the mount command.... Well not quite but at least some rather ... ODD messages when trying to mount other races... Acctually, I do beleive I've seen some sex code as an addition to the mount command... SHRUG.

But I think it'd be better off to have something like that so you don't get all the negatives while carrying someone that you currently get when subduing them.

Hmm... I voted for it but don't have any real opinion...

The small, spindly, half-elf rides in from the east, mounted on a massive burly-haired half-giant.

Boo yah!

Creeper who also things that things that are like carriages and wagons but require people to pick up and carry would be interesting... but is also alittle off track.
21sters Unite!

I'm not entering a vote, because neither of the options reflect me thoughts on this. And they are varied:

1. 'Sex' -command as a means of declaring consent would get my vote. Or perhaps a 'consent' command could be there.

2. 'Sex' as a way to establish it happened and that there is a chance of pregnancy or STD would be fine, but coded propabilities make me wonder.

-Balancing the disease so that half the PC population, or more as this command would likely make casual encounters very easy, aren't affected by them could be hard.

-What about those who were mudsexing, but did not use the command? I don't think anyone wants to watch it all to catch these twinks.

-My main concern with it is a personal one. Where would it end? If female PCs are forced to be pregnant, will an abortion command follow? I know this exists at least on one MUD. If it were to become reality on Arm, I would stop playing. Having suffered a miscarriage, it would be too painful to see tragedy trivialised.

I'm sorry, I cannot explain what I think without going into detail.
f time conversions are giving you a head-ache, visit: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

Ug.

I can understand some means of establishing ooc concent. But a sex command? Not everything needs to be hard coded. What happened to role play?

I frankly am so not into roleplaying having kids. That's real life for me. Maybe someday I'll want to roleplay being pregnant/having a child. But I can't forsee it. If that day comes, then I'll role play it to the best of my ability.

The std's? Well, I might roleplay that some day. Might be kind of fun. Or if some imm wanted to send 'you just caught the clap/crabs/whatever'. Then I'd roleplay it out.

But as it's been proposed, I'd have to vote against a 'sex' command. It does nothing to add to the role play, as far as I am concerned.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

A little too unwieldly and a little too realistic for my tastes.

I think kids and STI's can be decided on by the players involved.  Also, what if they were to consent to the act, but in the course of play something happened to interupt them so it never actually happens.

Things are fine the way they are.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

*chuckles*  There are some interesting things in place along those lines.  My personal stance is 'just say no', that rp'ed sex on Armageddon tends to be under 18 year old players fulfilling their adolescent desires and rarely to never adds anything to the game... this is not (and is possibly far from) official staff opinion.

I am a hearty advocate that rape in any form should be outright banned as well, as in 9 out of 10 cases it is males threatening females and bringing an ooc western view into a game, men don't often threaten men with rape, nor do women threaten men... in a world where there should be -no- differences between the genders from a social standpoint, I find this horribly jarring.

-Shinigami, Evil Anti-Sex Storyteller of Tektolnes
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Shinigami says:

Quoterarely to never adds anything to the game

I'll show you how it can add a lot to the game in about 6 months or so.

Quote from: "Bhuff"Shinigami says:
Quoterarely to never adds anything to the game
I'll show you how it can add a lot to the game in about 6 months or so.

Awww.  Come on, tell us now.  I am bored and have nothing to do.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Anyhow, I'd never share those logs!

However if your bored chat in mIRC?

Quote from: "Bhuff"Anyhow, I'd never share those logs!

Tease!   :wink:

QuoteHowever if your bored chat in mIRC?

IRC, ICQ and AIM are all evil, eeevil programs and I won't have anything to do with them.  I blame them for the spread of using "4" instead of "for" and "U" instead of "you," things I consider unforgivable, and icky.  :roll:  Sorry.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I can see this adding a lot of realism to the game as far as women are concerned.

Let's think about the mortality rate of denizens of Allanak. In order to have a growing population, women would have to have a LOT of children. Would I be wrong in saying the average could be 10 children and up? At least five children for a family, right? I think this is an realism issue that needs to be addressed, and I've always sorta scratched my head when I see the Amazonian warrior princesses striding around, beating up all the men.

If two characters have sex, then they should expect a child to come. I don't think it should be completely up to them. It should be somewhat of a risk that they have to take.

Children are part of the roleplaying experience, for a women. If you are going to play a woman, you should either expect to be a mother at some point, or use other measures to prevent it and roleplay that accordingly.

Or... maybe this is an issue where playability takes precedence over absolute realism.

It's been said many times that in Zalanthas, women are physical equals of men. Let's not ressurect this dead horse again. ;)

Plus there's stuff like mul mix, etc.. which I'm not entirely sure how it works, I assume your characters take it once every few days or something if they have an active sex life.. which could be entirely virtual, with VNPCs when you're logged out and your character is living their virtual life in the virtual crowds. Which is admittedly what I tend to do with characters of mine that are supposed to be sex fiends. There's enough already, to keep myself occupied with and have fun roleplaying out, without my characters spending a good chunk of their time hidden away with some other PC going at it. ;p

The real worry behind RPing sexual situations for me, is that the person on the other side of the screen is someone that has the problem keeping character and player separate. I.E. whether or not the person I'm RPing with is mature enough to handle, well, mature RP.

Yeah, honestly I dislike roleplaying sex(and even hitting on a woman)a lot, and try to avoid it.

But still, this command could easily be used for fading to black situations. It just makes sense that a woman has a chance of getting pregnant when she has sex.

What if the other person doesn't consent? Will you then have better luck at sexing them if they're subdued? Will it determine how much enjoyment you had out of it?

I know these are silly questions, but I think "sex <target>" "the man has sex with you" would be cheesier then "Bonzai!" and the Imms got rid of that  :cry:

Shouldn't it be a skill?   :)

Considering you have to fail to get better...  8)

Quote from: "God"
I don't think it should be completely up to them. It should be somewhat of a risk that they have to take.

That was my point, thank you. I cant say I've ever personally found a PC RPing out some sort of STD and I've only seen a small handful actually with child. If you have sex, these things happon.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

-Rathustra

I think Delirium said it best.

Playability over realism.

People play the game for enjoyment and not every person who has a female PC is going to want to play a baby machine.  I'd say the majority of them probably won't.

If people want to play it that way they will, if not they won't.

Considering all the criticisms about Tuluk having had a PC baby boom in recent times, I really don't think child bearing is all that under played to make any such command necessary.

As for Sexually Transmitted Infections, there is no real list of Zalanthas STI's out there that I'm aware of.  Considering the harshness of the world, the various genetic mutations, and the seemingly all around tougher build of Zalaanthan humans when compared to Earth humans, I think one could argue that STI's are not as wide spread as they are on Earth perhaps through some sort of built up resistance.  

People having to worry about STI's all the time seems like much more of an Earth thing that I don't think needs to or should carry over to Zalanthas, and frankly its more realism than I want out of the game.
iva La Resistance!

God wrote:
QuoteChildren are part of the roleplaying experience, for a women. If you are going to play a woman, you should either expect to be a mother at some point, or use other measures to prevent it and roleplay that accordingly.

You realize how this sounds? You are telling a good portion of the players how they must rp. It's like saying 'if you play a man you should expect to be drafted by Tek/Utep and put to hard labor for three months, or escape and roleplay it accordingly'.

If you are not an imm, you have no right to tell me how I am supposed to roleplay. Simply because I am female and play females does not mean I have to rp pregnancy any more than I have to mudsex or play my characters in a certain way.

Men and women are considered equal on Zalanthas. Women are not expected to behave or conform to western standards. Yes, we can take measures in game such as mul mix and rp such out. We do it now. Why do we need you telling us we have to be pregnant? Or some command telling us how we have to play things out?
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I'm in the boat that says playability over realism, simply because a hard-coded feature like that takes away the players consent to roleplay our a scenario like that.  Let's keep in mind that people play this game to ESCAPE real life, not to re-visit it all over again in zalanthas (no I don't have herpes!   :shock:  ).

I'm not going to tell anyone that they can't do a triple backflip sommersault windkick because that's incredibly unrealistic.

I'm not going to tell anyone that they can't go outside the protected confines of a city because it would be more realistic for their character to value his/her life more.

I'm not going to force female PC's to forgo whatever future they had planned and play out child rearing because its more realistic.

And I don't think it's fair to force people to role-play out STI's that they didn't consent to, simply because its realistically possible for them to get one in the game.

When you start limiting the player's imagination and freedom in the game, things just go downhill and become less fun for everybody.

Hell...:passes out some of his xanex:

If it were put in it could be for those who wanted to use it. I dont think I ever said, "Lets put this code in and make everyone who has sex use it!"

It would just be an option for those who liked to gamble and take the chance. For those that didnt want to take the chance and decided that they are immune to being pregnant or to diseases then more power to them.  :wink:
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"Hell...:passes out some of his xanex:

If it were put in it could be for those who wanted to use it. I dont think I ever said, "Lets put this code in and make everyone who has sex use it!"

It would just be an option for those who liked to gamble and take the chance. For those that didnt want to take the chance and decided that they are immune to being pregnant or to diseases then more power to them.  :wink:

Yeah, I can see it being useful for people who are trying to get pregnant and don't want to declare success unilaterally.  Then again, you could just pull out some dice and roll to see if you've got a bun in the oven, if you are into random factors.  

AC

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"For those that didnt want to take the chance and decided that they are immune to being pregnant or to diseases then more power to them.  :wink:

Plenty of PC's have kids without any command in place already.  The lack of a command or the lack of using a future command doesn't mean people play their PC's as immune to pregnancy.  No one has needed a command to decide pregnancy up until now and I feel that most mating situations are handled realistically by the playerbase.

As I said above, I'm against STI's for various reasons, prevalent STI's seeming to be much more of a modern day Earth problem than anything else, although do correct me if I am wrong.  I am curious, though, as to why some people are so interested in seeing sexually transmitted infections coded when we suffer from a lack of coded normal diseases an illnesses (aside from the one obvious case).  Is it just something against Roleplayed sex in general? To me it seems silly to have coded STI's when we would have only one coded normal illness of sorts.  

Incidentally, for anyone interested, at least once of my character's mates and I used www.mypregnancytest.com to determine if she was pregnant or not.  I'm not sure how realistic the odds are and all of that, but the outcome is random and it will even randomly choose the sex of the child.
iva La Resistance!

Quote from: "Fedaykin"Incidentally, for anyone interested, at least once of my character's mates and I used www.mypregnancytest.com to determine if she was pregnant or not.  I'm not sure how realistic the odds are and all of that, but the outcome is random and it will even randomly choose the sex of the child.
And the father!  Wheeee!

But I agree that most people handle it appropriately.  I remember when the local herb shop only carried one pack of mul mix per reboot!  That was akward.  Helpful hint:  It goes farther if you "taste" it instead of "eat" it.  It goes farther still if you just emote it.   8)

And it's only a real problem for the curvy chicks.  The gaunt or muscular females probably aren't fertile anyway, because lack of body fat leads to temporary infertility.

Angela Christine

QuoteAs I said above, I'm against STI's for various reasons, prevalent STI's seeming to be much more of a modern day Earth problem than anything else, although do correct me if I am wrong.

You hear a man's voice shout from the north:
"Got the clap?  Buy my sand tonic!"

That's a hard-coded NPC there, selling STI cures :? .

Modern day?  Hardly... "Cures" for such std's as syphilis and gonorreah have been documented back as ancient Egypt, and some of the first recorded contraceptives were created by worshippers of the Night God Setukh (alligator feces mixed with eggs) in that society.

AIDS is new, and there are slews of them yet to become nearly as popular.  A recent study showed that as many as 1 in 4 college students in North America had at least one form of std, the most prevalent being clumedia(sp).

So... sti/d's have been around quite a while, they just haven't been a topic of "polite conversation" until recently...

-Shinigami, Incurable Syphlitic Rash of Tektolnes

Quote from: "Shinigami"-Shinigami, Incurable Syphlitic Rash of Tektolnes

Finally, a title that suits you! Good for you! :P
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Consider this: Perhaps all the mutations have caused it to be much more difficult for females to conceive children, or carry a child to full term, and that's why there are so few pregnancies.

And while we're on the subject, perhaps someone should code in contraception.  Oh say, like prophylactics made from tandu intestine, perhaps?  If it's good enough to wrap meat in for sausage, wouldn't it be good enough to "wrap meat" in before sex?  (Provided the female in question does not have vagina dentata, har har!)  :lol:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Hey.. I have never even seen ONE MUD that has sucessfully coded se, pregnency etc.. .. can I get a few examples to check out how it is solved before I make up my mind on this subject?

Kavir did it, but it was pretty lame.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

FiranMUX does it quite well, from what I hear.(I don't play womanizers much)

The main problem is that people there isn't any contraception(to my knowledge) right now, and people still have sex for ten years without having a kid. If this was coded, it would just add a little more depth and challenge to the game.

I don't see it as that big of a playability problem, if some sort of herbal contraception is brought out and abortion is used. If a warrior woman sleeps around, she's going to have to take the necessary precautions. If she doesn't, she has a little problem that she can decide how to take care off. She can play a mean mother, throw the kid away, or leave it with some people or something.

So, am I stretching when I say that in order for the populations in Zalanthas to grow or even stabilize, women have to have 5-6 children in their lifetime? That wouldn't be true? My grandmother had 9 children, and people in the primitive ages would have even more.

Quote from: "God"The main problem is that people there isn't any contraception(to my knowledge) right now, and people still have sex for ten years without having a kid. If this was coded, it would just add a little more depth and challenge to the game.

Actually, there is at least one, and its been mentioned a few times throughout this thread, so I'm not letting the cat out of the bag.  Mul mix is a fairly common and well known herbal contraceptive, named 'mul' mix because Muls as a race are sterile and it prevents pregnancy.
iva La Resistance!

I believe that this is a line which would begin to blur the function of Armageddon as a roleplaying game.  I ask you, would you want a rape code that would work better if someone were subdued, sleeping, or paralyzed?  Many would feel justifiably disgusted by it.  I don't think that a code such as this has any purpose in the game at this point in time, and the responses of others have made this clear.  Players will roleplay the way they want.  If coding sex is allowed, why wouldn't molestation or sexual assault be added as well?  The path is wary and very disturbing at that point.  If we aren't ready to handle such realism, than surely we can keep up usage of dice and webpages.
Vendyra

1/3 of you people want this code? Yikes.

I just feel like this code is really beside the point of Armageddon. We're playing survival, politics, adventure, or something along those lines in this dangerous scary world. If we're adding code, I'd rather see new code that enhances those aspects of it. I've never minded people having relationships and such, it really can add something, but I never considered it enough of a focus to justify something like this. Maybe I'm just naive, and a lot more of this goes on than I think.

Seriously though-- if I was new to a mud and I found out there was a sex command, I'd turn tail and run for the hills. Or maybe we'd recruit more people this way... but imho probably fewer people we'd really like to see around.

I hope thats not offensive to anyone.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

Yeah, but imagine how much fun powergaming would be!!

And if you think the discussion over training backstab on training dummies has been overdone - just wait until someone wants to know if they can practice *this* on the dummy.

:twisted:
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

You people need to get out more.

*snicker*
Tlaloc
Legend

:lol: I can't add anything else, laughing too hard.

-Shinigami, Insidious Laughter of Tektolnes

Yeah, though I don't see a burning need for this type of code, I wonder what people would think of a "sex" command for interacting with NPC prostitutes?  What would be even cooler would be an "escort" command:

The rough, scrabbled-bearded man enters the tavern with the skinny, half-elf prostitute hanging on his arm.

Oh, btw, if men and women are really equal in Zalanthas, why do I seem to see more female prostitutes than male prostitutes in the game?

You just don't frequent the right clubs...

Many of them are 'catamites' for hire.

-Shinigami, Takes One For Tektolnes