Sparring.

Started by RogueGunslinger, August 08, 2008, 01:56:54 PM

People are far more likely to be killed in the ring in a fight, than in a sparring match.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Yam on August 09, 2008, 11:06:10 PM
X-D is right. Full on combat sparring really shouldn't be safe.

Plenty of people died in medieval tournaments. Zalanthas =! soccer.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Wouldn't a tournament be more analogous to the Luir's pit fights than to sparring?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Not necessarily. I imagine Byn sparring to be pretty damn competitive.

Only the best runners get to go on contracts to make money. So they would probably want to constantly beat down the other runners and make sure they they get the lion's share of the contracts. Same goes for troopers. This is probably not true for other sparring clans.

In general though, boxers are not sparring to fight life-or-death battles. Bynners, Kuracis, Kadians, Salarris, et al are. Training might be a fair bit more rigorous in that case. All members of a combat troupe depend on one another for support. If someone is lagging behind, they get the shit beat out of them until they learn to fight, leave, or die.

This isn't to say that most members should try to purposefully incapacitate and injure their sparring partners (except in the case of the Byn), but that they should not pull punches to the point of taking the danger and pain out of training.

On the other hand it isn't very fun to constantly get beaten half to death and not improve. I'm pretty sure that the staff intend to implement skill percentage flags in 2.arm. I may be wrong though. If I'm not, then this would pretty much eliminate any of the aforementioned problems with sparring.