Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

I was recalling a time I played a d-elf and I was watching some pc hunt down and skin some feathered creature. I was thinking about how elves are supposed to be clever, sly and thieves. So I slipped on up behind the pc and as it was pilling feathers to one side I was picking them up. The pc was obviously oblivious, emoting out cutting up the thing.. I can not remember if I made a mad grab for a handful of  what the pc had gathered and ran, letting myself be seen, but i seem to recall it that way. I also may have only thrown a few semote out there thinking that was the only emote one should use when doing something sneaky. I got a hard smack down from staff for it, took away my karma and everything. I was told that it wasn't proper to only use semote when stealing or something along those lines.
It was early in my arm experience and I must say I have come to understand the point that staff was making.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Kalai on December 07, 2010, 09:30:14 AM
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 07, 2010, 09:26:27 AMMap? The staff encourages it in one of the start up docs. I graph papered soooo much Zalanthas in my first year.
I always got to a point where they didn't quite line up, I realized I must have made a mistake trying to graph a certain way, and my map was henceforth unsalvagably inaccurate.  :(
That may or may not have been an error on your part.  This happens ALL over in this game.  There are places where you can go 1n1e1s1w (numbers aren't exact, but the point remains) and end up in a different room than you started in.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Potaje on December 07, 2010, 01:33:58 PM
I also may have only thrown a few semote out there thinking that was the only emote one should use when doing something sneaky. I got a hard smack down from staff for it, took away my karma and everything. I was told that it wasn't proper to only use semote when stealing or something along those lines.
It was early in my arm experience and I must say I have come to understand the point that staff was making.

Wait.. I'm actually confused about this..

You stole from someone while hidden.. Used semotes.. and got karma taken away?

Curious to know why? I thought you were supposed to use semote when you emote like that if youre stealing? Or a hemote (aren't they like.. the same thing kinda?) But you lost karma? Over this? Mmmm.. Clarify more pls. Just.. n00b here and am curious.
Czar of City Elves.

Semotes are SILENT emotes and are used whenever an action you're making won't make a sound. Nobody will ever see you use a semote while hidden.

Hemotes are hidden emotes, and there is a chance of someone seeing them when you use one of these.

During the HRPT last year, my hours-old character was somewhere around Luir's when darkness fell.  
About five minutes later, my he fell in some sort of canyon or something.  He stumbled in the dark a bit, fell again and ended up getting himself completely stuck in a hole somewhere, walking around in circles in the dark.  He walked around and around long enough that I had to wish up for some sort of help.  After explaining that I wasn't even a noob, just an idiot, -someone- kindly gave me a lantern and I made my way back to the Outpost to see what the hell was going on.  Two rooms before I arrived at Luir's, the darkness lifted.  Nearly the entire time that the whole world was in darkness, I was walking around in a fucking hole...

I also managed to miss every single HRPT and big thing that happened. Always was between characters or something. Luirsfest? Never. Darkness falls and a new moon appears? Yeah, another time, maybe.

Could be worse...I spent that entire HRPT loading a damn wagon up, then when we went out to see what all the fuss was about, my 60-day character got insta-zorched.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

during the HRPT:

I was a northie in the south with a certain merchant house. We where getting a wagon loaded and getting ready to ride out, I blinked and everyone was gone from the compound, I ran around the compound looking, not finding anyone, but I did find two mounts sitting un attended outside the compound gate, I shouted about and wait'd a few minutes and sought minds, but nothing so I grabbed a mount and decided it was best to get out of the city.
while making my way I think I mus of blown past the wagon, but I swear I never saw it in my path, I made for one of the gates and started to see bodies, passing a couple of riders that shouted to me not to go towards the gate as I passed and I looked up to see people on fire. I thought, 'Oh' that can not be good. I reined up and wheeled around as a Fiery deamon was taking notice.
Funny thing is i happen to find my way to the wagon as my boss at the time was yelling at me in my head for taking his mount. Funny thing that wagon ends up blazing, after I caught up to it and boarded.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: My Account Notes
-  seems to be scribbling pictures of genitals on temple walls in nak. Npcs present in room at time. <<Nough said...>>

- wished all: "Okay. It worked. Thanks. Now my pants will stay up while I'm rapping!"  :)  <<Noob, learning the difference between 'belt' and 'waist' locations>>

-  To prove to the world that he isn't a homosexual.     <<A comment on my dwarven focus >>

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: Potaje on December 07, 2010, 07:44:14 PM
during the HRPT:

I was a northie in the south with a certain merchant house. We where getting a wagon loaded and getting ready to ride out, I blinked and everyone was gone from the compound, I ran around the compound looking, not finding anyone, but I did find two mounts sitting un attended outside the compound gate, I shouted about and wait'd a few minutes and sought minds, but nothing so I grabbed a mount and decided it was best to get out of the city.
while making my way I think I mus of blown past the wagon, but I swear I never saw it in my path, I made for one of the gates and started to see bodies, passing a couple of riders that shouted to me not to go towards the gate as I passed and I looked up to see people on fire. I thought, 'Oh' that can not be good. I reined up and wheeled around as a Fiery deamon was taking notice.
Funny thing is i happen to find my way to the wagon as my boss at the time was yelling at me in my head for taking his mount. Funny thing that wagon ends up blazing, after I caught up to it and boarded.
I'm pretty sure I was link-dead on that wagon.

Even though I've been playing here for over eight years now, I've never had a really big, memorable, world-shaking role.

One day I got sick of it, and decided to app a Jihaen templar. It was approved. I logged into the game, and met my immediate supervisor: Elithan Winrothol.

THUNDER STOLEN
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Aupholt was an interesting Jihaen.  Definitely not the ninja cookie-cutter.  I enjoyed that character a lot.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 07, 2010, 08:30:04 PM
-  To prove to the world that he isn't a homosexual.     <<A comment on my dwarven focus >>

This made me laugh, Jack.  :)  That's awesome.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

I was playing a nilazi/physician in Allanak that decided to attach herself to the nearest form of power.  I became a Clerk in the AoD.  I even got promoted early because I was so efficient and so necessary (there had been a recent death and there were no Sergeants or above besides the Templars).  I kept the place in water and food and all sorts of stuff, mostly because I was being tricky and using my magicks in clever ways.  Everything was going great.  I was actually fairly well branched, but nowhere near powerful, just clever... then an HRPT happened.  I will direct everyone to this post:
Quote from: Marshmellow on December 06, 2009, 11:34:22 PM"I said that out loud, did I not?"
Yeah.  That was me.  What did my character say out loud, in front of two templars (I think?), a bunch of soldiers, a few gemmers and I think some Bynners were there?  Well, it was supposed to be a think, but something went horribly horribly wrong when my character says something to the effect of, "Huh, I wonder if that's related to the magick I can call on?"

Yeah, suddenly everyone looks at my character.  I could have sworn that I'd used think, so I had no idea why I was suddenly the center of attention.  Then someone says something about how what my character said sounds suspiciously like nilazi magicks, considering the thing my character had said it about.  I blink.  I scroll back.  I facepalm.  Then the madness starts!

I fled and actually got away with about 1/4 my hp left only to die to what I still consider a twink kill by some jerk later that same day.

You were Aupholt, 5DV? I always thought you were the guy who played Ardan.

There was a long string of rad Jihaens back then, that's for sure.

@marshmellow: where's the shame in that, sounds awesome. Even the necromancers of the void have their slips of the tongue.

Shame?
Quoteonly to die to what I still consider a twink kill by some jerk later that same day.

My first clanned character joined up with Borsail. About an IG week later, I realized I was bored with sitting around sparring, and wanted to go explore the awesome desert some more. (An attitude which is relentless to this day still.)

I wasn't super bored, and longing to do it, but my character was thinking via talk about possibly deserting. One of my fellow recruits was sitting next to me. I was like, shit.. Since I said it.. Now i'm committed. So I ran off into the desert, and got ate by a silt horror trying to go hide out in Red Storm.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: jstorrie on December 08, 2010, 04:52:56 AM
You were Aupholt, 5DV?
Yes, I played Aupholt Negean. It's funny. His sdesc was something like, "the sturdy, full-bearded man." At the exact same time he was brought into the game, they brought in another Jihaen. His sdesc was "the immense, crescent-bearded man" or something like. Two big, burly bearded Jihaens, purely by coincidence. Between working under Elithan and having a colleague that looked pretty much exactly like him, Aupholt was kind of doomed to obscurity from the get-go. This was reinforced by the fact that he spent much of his (post-virtual) life working on/preparing for Elithan's King's Age celebration... and then was eaten by halflings before he could even attend.

Still, I'm not complaining. It was an incredibly fun role, and I got to do and see some pretty cool stuff before he died. My advice to future templars/nobles/so-and-sos? Just roleplay. Don't worry overmuch about creating or facilitating plots. Just stay in character, and do what your character would do. The rest comes naturally.

Oh, and send reports to staff. Send reports to staff. Send reports to staff.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit on December 08, 2010, 09:55:59 AM
Quote from: jstorrie on December 08, 2010, 04:52:56 AM
You were Aupholt, 5DV?
Yes, I played Aupholt Negean. It's funny. His sdesc was something like, "the sturdy, full-bearded man." At the exact same time he was brought into the game, they brought in another Jihaen. His sdesc was "the immense, crescent-bearded man" or something like. Two big, burly bearded Jihaens, purely by coincidence. Between working under Elithan and having a colleague that looked pretty much exactly like him, Aupholt was kind of doomed to obscurity from the get-go. This was reinforced by the fact that he spent much of his (post-virtual) life working on/preparing for Elithan's King's Age celebration... and then was eaten by halflings before he could even attend.

I always got you two confused.  Also, my fault on the "eaten by halflings" bit.  Unless you were the one that was killed in an unrelated halfling event, in which case I was involved, but probably not the direct cause.  I have a few logs of some major halfling incursion on the North Road where we were all fighting to get to Ayun Iskandir.  I don't remember if I submitted them or if this is even related.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Spent more than a month special-app'ing a mul.

He died in a week...

...during a sparring 'accident'.

When I started playing Buckle I narrowly avoided dying to a scrab within the first day of played time on my character.

December 08, 2010, 05:50:48 PM #497 Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:53:22 PM by Barsook
Deleted.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Yeah, there probably are a lot of people who don't know that, so you probably shouldn't be posting it on the GDB.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I once applied for a mul and upon entering the game, a templar was animated to lead me to stand at the gates of the Borsail estate.
I waited.
And waited.
And waited some more.
And then I waited.
And then I did this for a while more. Then I stored when I found out no Borsail PCs existed at that time.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.