Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

When I rp and see that I've made a typo I feel instantly ashamed.

In an attempt to hide my shame I will try to flood the screen with lots of emotes and tells out of nowhere to distract the person from realizing I've made a typo, especially if it's during a serious/intimate moment.

I know it does not work, and it only enhances my shame.
Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence in society.
~Mark Twain

Quote from: Evoru on September 30, 2012, 12:40:48 AM
When I rp and see that I've made a typo I feel instantly ashamed.

In an attempt to hide my shame I will try to flood the screen with lots of emotes and tells out of nowhere to distract the person from realizing I've made a typo, especially if it's during a serious/intimate moment.

I know it does not work, and it only enhances my shame.

Ironically I just made a typo two posts back. I shall leave it like that in honor of you! I just shamed myself on the Shame topic. DOUBLE FAIL. :D
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

Most of my charas have such thick accents, I dont even know where's an intentional typo and when it's unintentional. It's harder to hide in emotes, so I decided not to emote, period.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: SmashedTregil on September 30, 2012, 12:45:23 PM
Most of my charas have such thick accents, I dont even know where's an intentional typo and when it's unintentional. It's harder to hide in emotes, so I decided not to emote, period.

So you play dwarves?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

When I was a wee noob playing my first character, I would sit in the Gaj looking for other weak looking people and lead them into a certain tavern in the Labyrinth, where I would proceed to kill them for their stuff in a crowded room full of people. I think I did this three or four times, and nobody in my clan ever thought to tell me how dumb I was being.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 27, 2012, 04:21:20 PM
When I was a wee noob playing my first character, I would sit in the Gaj looking for other weak looking people and lead them into a certain tavern in the Labyrinth, where I would proceed to kill them for their stuff in a crowded room full of people. I think I did this three or four times, and nobody in my clan ever thought to tell me how dumb I was being.

Yup. Happened to me.

The stupid part is that it was considered acceptable at the time to lead newbies somewhere and kill them.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Pretty much all my characters are shameful.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

October 31, 2012, 06:49:18 PM #957 Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:24:00 PM by Schrodingers Cat
[redacted]

Please do not derail threads on the GDB.  For instance, this is a thread about things related to the game in a subforum about the game.  While the thread is humorous more often than not, we do have rules for a reason, and without rules...why...there would just be mass chaos, posts everywhere about anything!

Back on topic, though:

I didn't know how lantern oil worked, either, until I looked.  :(
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

The shameful things I've ever done very quickly summed up:

One was a really, really horribly stupid death on my second PC. Not one, not two, but three idiotic mistakes in a row.
And a really horrid and not very realistic gossip post when I was playing that Borsail bastard noble.  :-\
And some frustrated GDB posts that probably weren't as vague as I had intended for them to be.

Strangely, none of THIS ever appeared in my account notes afaik, not specfically.

The bad account notes I probably DO have (based on staff emails) are based on something I still, and always will insist wasn't my fault at all, and ensuing frustration at staff that resulted from it (that was my fault I suppose). But whatever, life goes on right?

Moderated the thread and banned a poster for continual derailing and baiting of staff.  If you have an issue with staff please address it via the request tool.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on November 01, 2012, 08:14:04 AM
Moderated the thread and banned a poster for continual derailing and baiting of staff.  If you have an issue with staff please address it via the request tool.

I find it poetic and ironic this took place on the Shame thread :D

One of my biggest MUDing shame moments took place on another game. I had a summons and I wanted to see how strong it was. So in my tired, 3am, off-peek mind, attacking my own summons seemed like a good idea. How better to test it, I thought to myself. It killed me in three rounds. I couldn't even flee. Another clansman found my body (it was non-permdeath) and laughed his butt off at my silliness. I still facepalm when thinking about that.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

Sdesc: the dusty, colorful carpet

Description: This carpet is stitched of cotton, with a brilliant display of colors across it's stitching. A ladder-like diamond design snakes it's way up and down the middle of the carpet, the middle of the diamonds a deep blue, the edges of them lined with yellow. Opposite these diamonds are a matching set, the inside of this pattern being red instead. Several small tufts of thread hang from the corners of the carpet's body, dyed black.

Guild: Wind Elemantlist

Sub-guild: non-applicable

Race: (Formerly) Human

Abilities: Absence of the use of the "say" command. Lacks any accent skills. Ability to "fly" and "land" at will. Able to be mounted.

Reasoning: Possessed objects are not readily available whatsoever.

Background: This carpet used to be a human who went by the name of Valin. Valin was a wind elementalist interested in enchanting a carpet to fly at will, allowing him an easy mode of transportation. While trying to enchant the carpet, Valin mistakenly bound his consciousness to the carpet, also enchanting it in the process. The enchantment allowed the carpet the abiltity of flight, and the bounding of his consciousness to the carpet also allowed the basic senses to be accessed by Valin in his current form.

Current focus: Find a way to bound himself back to his body.

first special app in 2009

Quote from: Jingo on October 27, 2012, 05:59:36 PM
Quote from: HavokBlue on October 27, 2012, 04:21:20 PM

Yup. Happened to me.

The stupid part is that it was considered acceptable at the time to lead newbies somewhere and kill them.

Wait, so I should stop?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

January 03, 2013, 01:42:25 AM #964 Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:50:05 AM by Aruven
Quote from: Dakota on July 03, 2012, 04:56:04 PM
My biggest shame actually and its still embarrassing for a lot of reasons.

I once set up an epic RPT with my indie group where I would lead an army of Salarr, Kurac and His Legion to launch a surprise attack on another clan. Spent ages on it and people seemed pretty excited. Staff was well notified with reports, etc. Was going to be epic.

Then I logged in on the day it was to happen.. to find out the other lynch-pin for this plot to happen, Kilaski "Mr. Emo" Salarr died a few hours before. Once he died, Salarr backed out. Once Salarr backed out, Kurac backed out. His Legion backed out as they their was no way in hell they were going to be out alone with my rogue group.

I spent the next few hours IG totally depressed getting contacted by a hoard PCs who hadn't heard their clans backed out as well as having to break the news to some staff that were nice enough to log on to look over the RPT.. Having to tell everyone it was off was so shameful and pathetic.

I wanted to bury my head in the sand, store and never play arm again; it was so embarrassing.

Haha, I JUST saw this and the other posts following and had a good laugh. If it makes you feel any better, my greatest shame happened "a few hours before" this, which thankfully I cannot elaborate on.

"Hey, I ought to play in <particular facet> of the game. I like it, and I could stand to learn more about it."

Five hours in, I die to sorcery. With no idea two seconds ago that it was going to happen. And I'm pretty certain it wasn't preservation.

I just stared at the screen, and laughed. I laughed in amusement and disbelief, and I laughed a couple more times through the next day about it.

Anyway I hope this inspires others to try something they generally don't do. With names that they don't plan on using for long-lived characters.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Aruven on January 03, 2013, 01:42:25 AM

I once set up an epic RPT with my indie group where I would lead an army of Salarr, Kurac and His Legion to launch a surprise attack on another clan. Spent ages on it and people seemed pretty excited. Staff was well notified with reports, etc. Was going to be epic.

Then I logged in on the day it was to happen.. to find out the other lynch-pin for this plot to happen, Kilaski "Mr. Emo" Salarr died a few hours before. Once he died, Salarr backed out. Once Salarr backed out, Kurac backed out. His Legion backed out as they their was no way in hell they were going to be out alone with my rogue group.

I spent the next few hours IG totally depressed getting contacted by a hoard PCs who hadn't heard their clans backed out as well as having to break the news to some staff that were nice enough to log on to look over the RPT.. Having to tell everyone it was off was so shameful and pathetic.

I wanted to bury my head in the sand, store and never play arm again; it was so embarrassing.

Haha, I JUST saw this and the other posts following and had a good laugh. If it makes you feel any better, my greatest shame happened "a few hours before" this, which thankfully I cannot elaborate on.

Being over the clan at that time, I was really looking foward to that RPT and was rooting you guys on.

What I did IC that no one should know even after a real life year.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Rahmi on January 07, 2013, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: Aruven on January 03, 2013, 01:42:25 AM

Being over the clan at that time, I was really looking foward to that RPT and was rooting you guys on.

Kaves died somewhere around that time, which was a shameful preventable death itself.

Aparently it was a bad time for that clan.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I once shitmugged a guy. Found his corpse in the Gaj dorms like 10 minutes later.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 11, 2013, 01:06:27 PM
I once shitmugged a guy. Found his corpse in the Gaj dorms like 10 minutes later.
Anywhere else I would assume that means you held him up in a back alley and shanked him. Here...

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

For all the talk of shitmugging, I've thankfully never witnessed it.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I killed another fellow because I forgot how you 'disengage'. I felt SO stupid that I quickly ticketed a request with the log of the event that a resurrection was required and I am willing to accept any punishment - forced retirement, removal of karma, whatever - and got responded with 'no'.. I then messaged the player of the character I killed, mentioning it was my stupidity and he should have pressed for resurrection. He was fine with it, his character disappeared and had no hard feelings, and it made me feel even worse.

Still, even today, whenever I remember my idiocy: "Stop... no no stand... no what? Oh 'dis*BEEP*en'.. 'But you're not fighting anyone.'" I shudder. I wasted someone else's well thought-out character just because I have the memory of a large watermelon.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on May 05, 2013, 06:05:03 AM
I killed another fellow because I forgot how you 'disengage'. I felt SO stupid that I quickly ticketed a request with the log of the event that a resurrection was required and I am willing to accept any punishment - forced retirement, removal of karma, whatever - and got responded with 'no'.. I then messaged the player of the character I killed, mentioning it was my stupidity and he should have pressed for resurrection. He was fine with it, his character disappeared and had no hard feelings, and it made me feel even worse.

Still, even today, whenever I remember my idiocy: "Stop... no no stand... no what? Oh 'dis*BEEP*en'.. 'But you're not fighting anyone.'" I shudder. I wasted someone else's well thought-out character just because I have the memory of a large watermelon.

I've been there.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Didn't know about stat/score/skills until my 4th character.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.