Why do we kill (ICly and OOCly)

Started by Dakurus, July 16, 2008, 07:47:54 PM

Quote from: spicemustflow on July 17, 2008, 02:14:19 PM
Desertman, you're an asshole and your reverse raiding reeks of abuse.

I am indeed.

I dont see how I am abusing anything really....please explain.

If by abuse you mean playing a commoner who wears commoner clothing and ingoring the fact that my "Leet Gear" doesnt reflect my skill level is abuse...I guess you are right.

I didnt realize I was required to by uber gear if I am a skilled fighter...Sorry, I think.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

July 17, 2008, 02:52:41 PM #76 Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:56:36 PM by Vessol
I kill when people give me funny looks.

say (muttering at ~bar) I think tha' bastard gave me..th' EYE!

Edit: Oh and my first and only raider ever was unlucky enough to attack a 'gicker as his first target. *zap!*

Quote from: Vessol on July 17, 2008, 02:52:41 PM
I kill when people give me funny looks.

say (muttering at ~bar) I think tha' bastard gave me..th' EYE!

Edit: Oh and my first and only raider ever was unlucky enough to attack a 'gicker as his first target. *zap!*

Yeah, the only time I would suggest raiding on the basis of "gear"...is when that gear happens to be a dull black gem. Hehe.

(Not that your target was a gemmer, just saying)

Quote from: Desertman on July 17, 2008, 02:50:58 PM
I am indeed.

If by abuse you mean playing a commoner who wears commoner clothing and ingoring the fact that my "Leet Gear" doesnt reflect my skill level is abuse...I guess you are right.

I didnt realize I was required to by uber gear if I am a skilled fighter...Sorry, I think.

What you do is no better than raiders who might prey on folks in newbie gear.  You go out, likely alone, confident only for the fact that your character has been active for a long time and should therefore be better than anyone he's likely to come across.  The only reasons for your confidence are OOC factors.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I am indeed.

I'll explain. if your character is a seasoned "desertman" it would make no sense for him to venture out of the gates and not protect himself from the dangers like dehydration, beasts, raiders etc. It would make sense that he wears camouflaged sandcloth, armor, facewraps cloaks and weapons, and not go sid mining in patched trousers and scruffy boots, like a desperate beginner. Your "clever tactic" of bating the raiders would never occur to your character and stems only from OOC knowledge of his player. Which is hardly fair, don't you think. It's also unfair of raiders who take advantage of newbies, but it doesn't change the fact that you're a cunt :).

Conan did it.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

-Chargen Background:  Really, so many things are set there, including the willingness and likelihood a character of mine will pkill.
-Attitude:  I don't play characters that believe in the santicy or value of life, generally, unless it is something specific to the character.  So think child soldiers in Africa.
-Frustration:  I've had a PC channel frustration with other topics into killing another PC, because it was, at least, -something- she could do.
-Because they were a mul with a bad attitude even before they became a nilazi?
-Or, that reminds me, mul rage
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

July 17, 2008, 03:47:19 PM #82 Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:49:53 PM by Desertman
Quote from: spicemustflow on July 17, 2008, 03:30:11 PM

I am indeed.

I'll explain. if your character is a seasoned "desertman" it would make no sense for him to venture out of the gates and not protect himself from the dangers like dehydration, beasts, raiders etc. It would make sense that he wears camouflaged sandcloth, armor, facewraps cloaks and weapons, and not go sid mining in patched trousers and scruffy boots, like a desperate beginner. Your "clever tactic" of bating the raiders would never occur to your character and stems only from OOC knowledge of his player. Which is hardly fair, don't you think. It's also unfair of raiders who take advantage of newbies, but it doesn't change the fact that you're a cunt :).

Actually he is a skilled dirt poor Byn mercenary who simply never had the obsidian coins to buy Leet Desert Camo gear as you put it.

*shrugs*

I play dirt poor commoners, even if it means throwing away coins to keep that persona.

My most recent PC who encoutered this..."Being raided because of his lack of cool gear" problem/opportunity was a 30 day warrior who just never wore armor.

Ironically, I was a raider, but because I didnt wear gear, I had a ton of raiders try to raid me, based solely on the fact I didnt wear gear.

And my pc didnt wear gear, simply because that was a facet of his unique personality.

Please refrain from name calling, atleast until you know what you are talking about, and even then, please refrain from name calling.

We can disagree with each other, and still be nice about it.

I gotta say Desertman's thing 'is' pretty ... out there. Oh, it's well explained, but ... still on the very edge of OOC, perhaps a little past it. It's like giving your character a small description, and wearing very little, just so you can get confused with NPCs. You have every reason to describe your character however you like, as long as it's 4 lone, and you've got every reason to wear whatever you think you can afford or is sensable. But in the end ....

I've killed two PCs on my own, and out of my own volition (Every other ones were mostly leader inspired). I regret killing the first PC to this very day. Oh it had a 'very' good reason, I spent about 50 rl days with thinks/dreams/biography preparing for the kill. But then, instead of giving the pc a fun death, I stumbled upon an opportunity and one hit killed him. No emotes, nothing. Felt pretty ashamed afterwards. Even figured how to even it out a bit, but the details would be IC.

Second kill was fairly simple. The guy kept being a nuisance to me, and other people my character was allied with. Had to go ... just had to.

Quote from: FatDot on July 17, 2008, 03:50:42 PM
I gotta say Desertman's thing 'is' pretty ... out there. Oh, it's well explained, but ... still on the very edge of OOC, perhaps a little past it. It's like giving your character a small description, and wearing very little, just so you can get confused with NPCs. You have every reason to describe your character however you like, as long as it's 4 lone, and you've got every reason to wear whatever you think you can afford or is sensable. But in the end ....

I've killed two PCs on my own, and out of my own volition (Every other ones were mostly leader inspired). I regret killing the first PC to this very day. Oh it had a 'very' good reason, I spent about 50 rl days with thinks/dreams/biography preparing for the kill. But then, instead of giving the pc a fun death, I stumbled upon an opportunity and one hit killed him. No emotes, nothing. Felt pretty ashamed afterwards. Even figured how to even it out a bit, but the details would be IC.

Second kill was fairly simple. The guy kept being a nuisance to me, and other people my character was allied with. Had to go ... just had to.

Ooh...You mean like making your pc have the sdesc...The brown-haired man...and then making him a natorious sorcerer?

Yeah, I have to agree with you, that is pretty bad.

July 17, 2008, 04:04:18 PM #85 Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:05:59 PM by spicemustflow
Desertman, when I said you were a cunt :) I didn't mean any offense, I put a smiley face. I was just disagreeing strongly with your tactics. And a person who was skilled and experienced in anyway wouldn't go out raiding without a proper gear, as he would know that he is risking far more than it's worth.

As for previous discussion: What you wear ICly is what you want to wear. I personally have played chars that didn't like to wear heavy armor. They liked to move fast and easy instead. Wtf is wrong with that?

If you wore all noob gear and talked like a noob. "Hi, where can a person get some weapons?" while running a 20 day char, that would be abuse. But wearing common commoner garb? Hello... any assasin worth two shits wants to BLEND IN, not looking like a fucking assasin.

In 6 years or so of arm I've only pk'd a few times on purpose. Sadly I have more accidental Pk's then real ones!

One because I was a Salarri Sarge, and I found an elf wearing a salarri cloak a few days after noticing a missing recruit. Bye bye elf.

One with a templar. Their kind cannot be allowed to live *IC reasons

One with my current char! Their kind cannot be allowed to live * IC reasons

Aside from that I have four or five accidents,

three pk's with a half giant that was just too friggen scary for his own good.

Two with that same templar while I was learning the power of using hit within the city.... whoops.

Oocly I only really kill when the role demands it. Like the sarge, like the templar. My templar did many other things that were public displays, making folk kiss the soldier statue feet for an IC day and so forth.

Allthough I do get an ooc thrill in a fight or conflict, I always find it more thrilling when the other person escapes, and especially after some tense rp following attack + escape. After that happens, every moment in the game is exciting and tense. If the other person dies, it's like. Job done. Now what?

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

July 17, 2008, 04:12:12 PM #87 Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:15:19 PM by Desertman
Quote from: spicemustflow on July 17, 2008, 04:04:18 PM
Desertman, when I said you were a cunt :) I didn't mean any offense, I put a smiley face. I was just disagreeing strongly with your tactics. And a person who was skilled and experienced in anyway wouldn't go out raiding without a proper gear, as he would know that he is risking far more than it's worth.

That entirely depends on what you consider proper gear.

I was extremely succsessful at raiding in the gear I chose...so through method and achievement, I would have to say it was "proper" for my character.

OOCly, I kill because I'm a sociopath that likes to tie people up in my basement and watch them die by starvation or slow amputation (depending on my mood) for all the bad things anyone has ever done to me.

ICly, I kill if it seems in character to do so.. but I like to play good guys, so I don't do much of this. I save all my killing for RL.

;D
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: sarahjc on July 17, 2008, 04:16:22 PM
OOCly, I kill because I'm a sociopath that likes to tie people up in my basement and watch them die by starvation or slow amputation (depending on my mood) for all the bad things anyone has ever done to me.

ICly, I kill if it seems in character to do so.. but I like to play good guys, so I don't do much of this. I save all my killing for RL.

;D

Amputations are the best....

Put salt on the stumps, they thrash like you wouldnt believe.

Quote from: Desertman on July 17, 2008, 04:12:12 PM

I was extremely succsessful at raiding in the gear I chose...so through method and achievement, I would have to say it was "proper" for my character.

You were extremely successful because you were relying on OOC assumption of the other players by pretending to be a newb who's scraping a bit of black, not because your gear was ICly appropriate for any sane person who'd go out in the desert.

Quote from: spicemustflow on July 17, 2008, 04:38:45 PM
Quote from: Desertman on July 17, 2008, 04:12:12 PM

You were extremely successful because you were relying on OOC assumption of the other players by pretending to be a newb who's scraping a bit of black, not because your gear was ICly appropriate for any sane person who'd go out in the desert.

I WAS the raider, I wasnt baiting raiders.

So a genuine "experienced" raider goes into the harsh desert, in a gear that doesn't protect him from from the elements, beasts, and blades, and he thinks it's fine, even though everyone has heard grim stories about the dangerous sands? And sun. And other raiders. And wild necks. And so on.

Can we end the derail of an otherwise good thread please? Take it up in PMs if you want.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

July 17, 2008, 07:00:31 PM #94 Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:03:36 PM by Sokotra
Quote from: spicemustflow on July 17, 2008, 05:19:04 PM
So a genuine "experienced" raider goes into the harsh desert, in a gear that doesn't protect him from from the elements, beasts, and blades, and he thinks it's fine, even though everyone has heard grim stories about the dangerous sands? And sun. And other raiders. And wild necks. And so on.

Some people Zalanthans just need a bit of sandcloth and a skin of water.

And I don't see how his "reverse raiding" would be abuse.  That's silly.

When I -do- kill, and it really is pretty rare, it is usually either because I have a friend to help me accomplish it, or the guy is wearing a full or full-looking set of armor, or has a really cool looking sword.

That is to say, though, that I've never just outright been like stand;draw;draw;kill, I always try to emote with people. Be friendly, see if they're worth killing. Sometimes I'll use a Kruth Deck or a pair of dice and roll or draw, see what comes up, and then decide. (I like to make people think -I- didn't want to do it. I'm so shneakay!)

But then, I'm not really a raider. I honestly don't -like- killing, but OOCly I know that if I don't, they'll contact and get my sdesc, or look at my armor, or tell them my entire mdesc if they can. Honestly, I havn't done that in a long time. I saw a like, Umber-skinned Elf or something, and said it was some skinny, with -really- dark skin. I can't think of a reason to say "umber-skinned" unless I'm an artist and use that word a lot IC.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I did have one character for whose reactions to various stimuli I rolled a die, but she was supposed to be stone-cold crazy.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 17, 2008, 07:10:44 PM
I did have one character for whose reactions to various stimuli I rolled a die, but she was supposed to be stone-cold crazy.

Options on a 1d6

1. Drink more ale.

2. Pick nose.

3. Blurt out something completely unrelated to the current situation.

4. Homocide.

5. Pick nose, drink more ale, then homocide.

6. Dance naked.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 17, 2008, 07:00:31 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on July 17, 2008, 05:19:04 PM

Some people Zalanthans just need a bit of sandcloth and a skin of water.

And I don't see how his "reverse raiding" would be abuse.  That's silly.

Sometimes, you just have to consider the source.

I try to look at such things from a Staff perspective.

If I were on Staff, and I saw someone raid-baiting would I be more inclined to:

a) Think this player exceptionally clever, and chuckle to myself.

b) Load up an escaped mul raider and subdue;hit, strip them naked, and leave them lying in the sands for being a complete fucking idiot.

c) Roll my eyes and put a nasty note on their account, and possibly remove everything but their city elf merchant option.

d) b and c

If you guessed "d," you were correct!

That being said, here's my take on the matter:

Master swordsmen don't go out and mine 'sid for a living...and if they did, they wouldn't remain master swordsmen for very long.  When was the last time you saw a UFC fighter bagging groceries at H-E-B?  There's a reason top competitors in every sport get sponsorships out the ass:  because being really good at -anything- requires a lot of consistent training and practice.  I don't care if you were in the Byn for 10 fucking years:  if you've been doing nothing but mining 'sid for the last 5, when you pick up that sword, you're more likely to cut your own arm off than anything else.

I hope you're just joking about this whole reverse-raiding thing...because you're coming across as a serious douchebag.  That's the kind of dumb shit I'd expect from Delerak.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.