Why do we kill (ICly and OOCly)

Started by Dakurus, July 16, 2008, 07:47:54 PM

Quote from: jstorrie on July 18, 2008, 05:03:48 PM
Quote from: Sokotra on July 17, 2008, 07:20:29 PM
4. Homocide.

The gayest crime around.

Only if it's against you.

Heh, nice catch, though.   Homicide is the actual topic here, though.. stop derailing.  ;)

July 19, 2008, 04:45:23 AM #153 Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:25:25 AM by Yokunama
Quote from: Desertman on July 17, 2008, 11:10:02 AM
I play characters and beef them up....put on relatively "newbie like" gear, and then walk out to the local raiding grounds.

Then, you admitted that your characters tend to come from the same mold?

Quote from: Desertman on July 17, 2008, 12:53:49 PM
Do I have the OOC thoughts..."Lets go reverse raid someone"...sure, but IC'ly, I am just going sid hacking in my comfortable sandcloth clothing.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me, but I think you have the wrong concept of thinking and converting it into your character. Your OOC thoughts should be: "What would my character do today? How would he/she handle this situation? (Including whatever questions you may be face with concerning your character)"

The raider, on the other hand, is in the wrong also. If you think someone is a newbie, try to take an advantage of it, and act upon it, you'd be stepping onto the line of OOC abuse.

Quote from: Desertman on July 17, 2008, 11:10:02 AM
To answer the question, I typically only kill other PC's, because its fun.

Hmm...
This makes me wonder how many of your kills were prompted ICly, or if they the result of your boredom OOCly.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

What you are saying makes sense, Yokunama, but it is a game after all.  People do things to have fun.  Others look at the game like it is real life, which is kind of going overboard.  I understand some people want to take the game more seriously then others, but that goes both ways.  I don't like being killed for stupid reasons either, and I pretty much always have mercy on no matter the situation (unless it is a very extreme situation) because there's always an IC excuse I can come up with for leaving the character alive or thinking the character is dead and not thinking OOCly "They haven't turned into an inanimate corpse object, so I better hit them again to kill them."

PvP is fun, whether it ends up in killing or not.  It ends up in killing for a lot of people, which I don't exactly agree is necessary, but again.. it's a game.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 19, 2008, 10:18:13 AM
What you are saying makes sense, Yokunama, but it is a game after all.  People do things to have fun.  Others look at the game like it is real life, which is kind of going overboard.

If people get bored with their roles, they can simply store.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

My characters tend to come from the same mold and I make no excuses of it, becaues that's how I like to play them and that's the sort of characters I enjoy playing.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

July 19, 2008, 03:06:47 PM #157 Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:12:08 PM by Sokotra
Quote from: Yokunama on July 19, 2008, 02:51:31 PM
Quote from: Sokotra on July 19, 2008, 10:18:13 AM
What you are saying makes sense, Yokunama, but it is a game after all.  People do things to have fun.  Others look at the game like it is real life, which is kind of going overboard.

If people get bored with their roles, they can simply store.

All of the roles will be boring if you do not "do things to have fun".  Heh.  I'm not saying you should just kill on an OOC whim for the heck of it, but there are a lot of easy ways to come up with IC reasons to be involved in PvP combat for the fun of it without going outside your role.  Nobody... or most of us... don't want the -game- to be a chore or a job where you simply fill an empty slot and grind away without any fun.

Quote from: manonfire on July 18, 2008, 05:32:30 PM
I'm an adrenaline junkie.

Me too.

I just live in the fast lane -- When my character is in line to do something, he does it. If that means killing someone, so be it. If it means torturing someone, so be it. If it means my character's torture or death, so be it.

When you begin to let go of a character as being an extension of your true psyche, and accept it as a facet of your imagination, you will be surprised how fun it is to die in Armageddon.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Because I love going through an elaborate plan, from plantation to fruition, and seeing the emotes people make before their character dies, knowing I forever claimed their life.

I enjoy killing because I think it's fun.

Does that make me sick?

To defend younger, weaker members of your family, tribe or clan.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I kill because it's the only thing to do. There is no arguing, you have no friends and everyone must die.
Someone will kill you for saying hey screw yourself, which is appearantly a reason to kill.  You get mad?
kill people, you get happy? kill people. Someone smudged your boot in a crowded room, better kill everyone
in the room just to make sure you got the right one.
Who would you kill for a klondike bar?

August 14, 2008, 02:47:22 AM #162 Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:20:27 AM by The Archbishop
Bump that
Who would you kill for a klondike bar?

Every PKill I make, I do because I think, 'Hey, I hope this is that douchebag FightClub.'

Note that it's in quotes.  That's an actual thought.  It's not a flame, it's an example.  I would never say that in order to flame someone, especially someone like FightClub.

The reason I pkill varies from PC to PC.  It basically boils down to "Do I have to kill this person for the betterment of my PC's existence?"  If yes, then yes, I need to kill them, and I do so with some roleplay (usually, unless they're a freakin pansy, and can't take it).  If no, then yes, I kill them, in order to put them out of my misery.

I am guilty of letting people live that I shouldn't have before, and it has always come back to haunt me (which is awesome).
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

IC'ly, hmm...

If I am just a raider, well, I ony go for people that are wearing nice expensive stuff, not bad-ass silt-horror armors and custom made weapons.

If I'm someone with a plan, I try to not kill anyone that could be of use. But normally, I'll run into someone that just pisses me off in game. 'Your insane.' "I'd kick your ass if I had a job." You know. I've heard some dumb things.

People that brag about how good they are... just so happens a few of my characters have managed ot be better. I love killing those folks that sport big guns they don't have.

OOC'ly? Well, I'm in the military.

OOCly, I get my jollies from killing PCs.

August 15, 2008, 11:38:02 PM #167 Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:39:55 PM by Clearsighted
Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 18, 2008, 04:31:44 PM
I think the only time a character of mine really spontaneously (and successfully) killed (directly caused at least, though not having personally delivered the killing blow) another character was when some Bynner insulted a gemmer of mine, and then insulted his mate, and then challenged her to a duel outside the gates.  If I remember correctly, he followed them out, ended the whole thing before the guy even drew his blades, and then immediately turned to his mate (as though he'd just done nothing more significant than swatting a fly) and started arguing with her about how accepting a duel was a foolish risk (and she was upset with him for not letting her have a little sport).

Given the vulgarity of the insults and the fact that my character's mate was in danger, I felt that it was justified.

EDIT: Though... on second thought, I do wonder what would have happened if we'd simply stripped the guy and let him live.  It might have been an interesting and humiliating conversation with his sergeant, explaining that he lost his stuff because he insulted and tried to kill a gemmer's mate.  Damn, now I feel bad.   :(

Poor Bynner.

Personally, I prefer my gickers to be resting next to an obsidian deposit before I 'challenge' them to a duel.

Other then that, my IC motivation for killing is virulent, hateful racism.