Tell your first character's story...

Started by NoteworthyFellow, July 03, 2008, 11:24:45 AM

July 03, 2008, 08:31:37 PM #25 Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:46:01 PM by Delstro
My first two+ characters didn't do anything.
I had an elf, to which I forgot the name, and he was a Southron C-elf Assassin, the first character this guy meets is a Guild Dwarf that wants to go onto this roof to watch the streets below for a secret entrance. Trying to climb 1 room up, I try "U,enter" U,enter" until I got frustrated, and u,u,u,u,u,u. Well, it turns out my first two ups worked and I climbed up too high. So Now I have to go down. I fall all the back down and pass out. I wake up with this dwarf standing over me, and he shakes his head and climbs back up. I stand and try to go up, but fall on my neck. I am out again. Another 15 minutes or so, I wake up with that dwarf over me, we climb back up the roof and we sit and watch the street for a while, looking for a secret entrance. We sit there for an hour, but nothing happens, so we try to climb down and I fall on my neck. After another 15 minutes, I wake up with the dwarf standing over me. He tells me some stuff, and I go back to the south side. I pass the world famous Gaj and I see some leaves in this plant, "Oh cool!" I think. I needed food and they looked edible. Get all plant.

4 npc soldiers destroyed me.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Winterless, I liked Adara. I didn't get to see much of her because I stored to play a Tuluki noble, but I was the little 'rinthi woman who followed her around.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I liked Adara too. 8)

My first character was an c-elf warrior named Aizwaz. He was pierced all over and had a noble fetish. Those two qualities made for some fun RP as he stared lustfully at a noble lady in the Barrel, only to be hauled outside by her and a Templar who plucked one of his piercings out. When confronted about what his problem was, all Aiz could say in his defense was that, "She's... so... clean!" Yeah, that Templar had an Aizwaz piercing collection after a short while.

He also had an exceptional agility and could bash scrabs on day one and kill tarantulas by day two. Thinking he was all bad ass, he got into it with a gith woman that disarmed him, thumped him over the head with a mace, and it was lights out for my first PC.
Amor Fati

My first character was back in the mid-90s.  I created the character, logged in, typed "WHO" and saw 6 people. Wandered around a bit and saw no players. Logged out and never logged back in again, not for many years.

The first character I have a clear memory of was Morgi, a mutant in Allanak and a ranger -- the only ranger I've ever had that's lived a significant length of time. Morgi is third on my character list -- but I remember nothing about the second other than that he died fighting a scarab.  Morgi was a hunchback with a distended pot belly (yeah, huh), a 'melted' saggy face, and an understandably sour disposition.

I had read that the Byn was a good clan for newbies, so Morgi hacked at the obsidian deposits to get the 'sid, then and joined in short order.  I remember going on a hunt with my Sargent, being bored at sparring practice, and going on a couple contracts. Of the contracts, I can only remember being left behind to guard the mounts with the other runners while the 'real' characters went off to fight/die/have fun.

Poor Morgi had an abysmal wisdom, so he perpetually sucked at everything he tried to do -- he wasn't going to make Trooper with any speed.

The only other characters I have have any memory of from that time was the two Sarges -- although at this point I've forgotten their sdescs and names. One was a woman with red hair (I think) who was scary tough, and died on a contract.  The funeral afterward was nice.

Both the character and I were shocked to discovered that there were a whole bunch of mutants in Tuluk.  So one day, I got super bored of sucking at sparring, mounted up, and decided to head to Tuluk.  I'd had never even been as far as Luirs (which I think at the time was infested with Mantis). Promptly fell off the Shield Wall. There may have been something aggressive at the bottom, because I was staring at the Mantis screen seconds later.

Human ranger in Tuluk.

Decided to go looking around on foot in the Grey Forest.

Death by halfling warrior #13507.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

My first character :Kidral.  Enlisted with Salarr as a guard and spent about a decade with them and made it up to Sergeant, and then got fired. A fellow Sergeant from salarr wanted to help him out and so talked to his friends at Kurac and got him a job with them. Took a wagon from Tuluk all the way down to Red storm, wasted with some old kuraci agent. All the other recruits at red storm thought the house hired a trainer or something to put them into shape because Kidral was quite the good fighter by now. Anyhow, he ended up eating something poisoned and dying right in the barracks. Bummer. 

My first memorable character was probably Xavier. A stout ass dwarf with a focus to kick some ass. Joined Kurac, made some buddies. Ended up 'borrowing' a war bow from his Sarge's cot, and nearly getting the poor guy killed over it. Ended up going on a long ass scouting mission in the middle of the Tablelands with one of his buddies for upwards of three RL months, with no contact from the House. Ended up finding some seriously still IC shit. Whole army of Kuracis show up to investigate said shit. Xavier ends up biting it to....Some really fucked up shit...But just before, he subdues his sarge, and his best buddy in the whole wide world, throwing them one room away, before shouting "FAREWELL, SWINE!", a comment that to this day is on my account notes.

I'm uncertain as to whether its the staff saying "Kudos, that's a really badass last few words" or "Hey man, there ain't no fuckin' pigs in fuckin' Zalanthas, man."
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Hmm.... Think his name was Jekar (I modeled him off of G'kar from B5).
Warrior/something crafter.... Went to by a kank, some large bags, and a glasshacker (actually bought a chisel first and had to go back in after it wouldn't work).
Worked for a few days, got robbed, got mad about being robbed, tried to suicide by walking off the shield wall...lived...
fell in a few holes in the tables lands, decided i was going to keep him and start making a living off all the stuff people left in holes... started back to Nak. Was killed by a gith.

fin
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 04, 2008, 12:48:25 AM
Winterless, I liked Adara. I didn't get to see much of her because I stored to play a Tuluki noble, but I was the little 'rinthi woman who followed her around.
Quote from: Fnord on July 04, 2008, 01:07:11 AM
I liked Adara too. 8)

Aww... thanks guys. I'm glad that y'all enjoyed her... I'm glad that some people remember her. Makes me feel all speeshul... *sniffle*  ;D

Barzalene was a secret assassin, translator, with hair the color of heartbreak and she was either a brown-haired woman or desert-shaded.
She managed to get a job as a "translator" with Borsail. She was hired by someone who impressed the hell out of her by having their npc soldier hold the beaded curtain open for them. (It's the little things.)
She was dressed up in pretty clothing.
She was told don't go into the rinth.
She got lost trying to find the road that runs past the merchant estates and ended up on a street that leads into a bad part of town. She was attacked by a dirty man and ran, ran, ran. She saw a nice elf, and begged him for help.
Beep!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Kurac seem to have a habit of scooping up lost newbies....not in my case.

My first was a Tuluki Ranger/Linguist. Her parents had been in secret cohorts with a magicker, who had left with them a book and an apparent curse on her pregnant mother (with her). The result of 'magick' was her one green eye and one blue eye (or so they thought). By the time in her life I started playing her, both parents were dead and she walked around clutching this virtual book.

My friend who introduced me told me "Whatever you do, don't go outside of the gates." So I wandered around bored, confused and lost until I found the Kuraci divebar. There I started to make some friends. I met a Kuraci (?) who gave me some newb nudges on how to get jobs with Merchant Houses and who to speak to (I'd read ALL the documentation before apping).

I found myself finally in contact with a Kuraci Agent who I practically BEGGED for a job with Kurac. After telling him I could ride and speak three different languages he didn't give me a proper job. Instead he hired me to give him Allundean lessons at 25 'sid per lesson (ouch).

Then I made a new friend, a ranger and he decided to take me gurth hunting with him. So out we went. We found a gurth and chased it around a while until we were both knackered but it had stopped (no mounts). Then we unleashed upon it!

Then a raptor ran in, my ranger friend fled and mt character swiftly died.

I've only had one other Tuluki character after that, and that was recently. I'm not really hooked on Tuluk, but even from my boring first character I was hooked on Arm. It was the experience that hooked me - but the possibilities.

My only really memorable character is still too recent to mention.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

April 22-August 13, 2006: Landra, of House Salarr.

Hired the day I first logged in. Merchant/hunter I think, or maybe ranger/armorcrafter. Something that would let me explore the world -or- stay in the city. The intention was to explore, but also be hireable and have a craft I could make money with in case the exploring gig didn't work out.

Got hired as an Assistant to an agent. The agent then promptly took the wagon and headed to Allanak, leaving Landra in Tuluk. The agent's player and I didn't usually log in at the same time, so it was rare to ever get in touch with him. There were occasional new-hires she'd meet up with, who never lasted long. And she was instructed not to leave the city, that she was too valueable to risk going out hunting by herself. And since I didn't know anything about anything outside of "help map tuluk" I heeded the instructions. And spent the next 3+ RL months being bored and frustrated out of my ass. An animated senior agent NPC took pity on poor Landra and gave her a couple of tasks that immediately sucked me into the game. And then the IMM who animated that NPC was transferred to a different clan, leaving Landra once more with no one to report to. No one to hire, no one to pay her, no authorization or method to buy or sell anything to or from anyone. Then her boss came back, and was promptly executed in the Sanctuary for being a mindbender.  I had thought oh hey, freedom finally - I'll grab some of his loot while moving his corpse back to the estate, and make a bee-line to Allanak after I buy a set of armor with my shop discount. Except, just at the moment the agent died, the game crashed. When it came back up, his body - and everything on it - was gone.

An NPC Senior instructed Landra that she'd have to transfer down to Allanak to work for this OTHER character whose player *never* logged in at the same time as me, and rather than have a repeat of the last three months in a different setting, I said fuck it and stored Landra.

It's gotten a *lot* better since then though :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Late 2004/first half of 2005 was the life of Reneli.

Like countless other female players my first PC wound up being an aide and having way too much mudsex. I think it's some kind of peculiar initiation ritual for this game. :P She was snatched up by Elyziah, an Atrium hostess, and made an Atrium student. (I only much later realised Elyziah was an NPC and not a player, haha.) Reneli eventually mudsexed her way into being a Borsail aide for Aequin and Ysta, two awesome nobles for a new player to learn from. She kept on mudsexing and ended up with a nice apartment, lots and lots of silks, a good deal of money, and some pretty decent skills as a pickpocket. More mudsex later she was promoted to Advisor (senior aide), working for Shareyn, Veralius and Ilpalazzo Borsail, with some junior aides under her. Back at the time I thought this was super hot shit.

Reneli wanted to be promoted to Administrator, which was the highest a commoner servant could get in Borsail, but the NPCs told her she had had too much mudsex and had a dirty reputation. Solution: become a concubine to a noble, have more mudsex, and bear the House a bastard noble. She did this, which of course led to endless drama after telling half the city she wouldn't sleep with them anymore. :P

So Reneli became a concubine to Veralius Borsail (I love you EvilRoeSlade, wherever you are) and got caught up in his hilariously badly planned plot to kill an NPC senior noble. Unsurprisingly the plot was found out, and as Vedralius' punishment, Reneli, his concubine, was sentenced to bear a mul for the House (mul mommies don't survive the birth.) At the time I thought this was soooooooooooo unfair. Now, looking back, I think it's soooooooooooo Zalanthan and awesome and not a very bad way to die.

I guess the initiation ritual worked.

Quote from: ale six on July 04, 2008, 09:05:56 PM
as Vedralius' punishment, Reneli, his concubine, was sentenced to bear a mul for the House (mul mommies don't survive the birth.) At the time I thought this was soooooooooooo unfair. Now, looking back, I think it's soooooooooooo Zalanthan and awesome and not a very bad way to die.

Most amazing story in this thread.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

My first pc was a human ranger that was picked up in Allanak by Khann and hired on as a guard/scout. Khann took him on a trip to Tuluk and while there he was sparring with some other guards in a pit when a soldier happened by and charged into the room attacking. He fled through the streets of Tuluk until he was cornered and killed by the soldiers.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

My first two PC's were extremely short-lived.  Yzbella was my third and got me terribly hooked on the game. 

She started out being a street performer and put on juggling/acrobatic shows outside the Barrel or Trader's.  I'd had dreams of her getting employment with House Fale and was terribly disappointed to learn that Fale didn't actually exist.  She managed to avoid the usual aide route for quite a long time though, between landing some lucrative gigs with various wealthy merchants and making a friend who used to take her out to the salt flats to greb for salt.  At some point she did get an offer of employment from Lady Nailah Borsail which she really didn't want because she was terrified of being around nobles and so, while not outright turning down the offer, managed to evade the Lady.

Fate, in the form of a blood-sucking templar, pushed her into having an interview with Pearl and being taken on as a student in the Atrium. The templar had been terrorizing her for over an IG year by then, taking her into locked tenement rooms, slicing her arm open and drinking her blood.  At the Atrium she caught the eye of Lord Prian Borsail. Somehow Pearl got wind of the torture by the templar, took pity on Yzbella and expedited her placement as a servant in Borsail.

She moved through the ranks in Borsail -- from junior aide to Lord Prian to senior aide supervising other servants to, finally,  Second Administrator to the Lord Commander.  All in all, it was a pretty heady experience for a newb to get to play with the fantastic RP'ers in Borsail like the players of Lord Prian, Lord Quaelus, and Lady Kavinny. And many fabulously played templars.  And, of course, Pearl.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Aww, wish I could share my stories, but my first character is still alive :)

Maybe next year.

Lots of good stories by the way.  Why is it everyone seems to meet such untimely deaths with their first characters?
Food for thought:
Every time someone uses the phrase 'food for thought' a penguin turns to cannibalism (two if used in a pun about actual food)

Quote from: Karo on July 05, 2008, 02:14:52 PM
Aww, wish I could share my stories, but my first character is still alive :)

Maybe next year.

Lots of good stories by the way.  Why is it everyone seems to meet such untimely deaths with their first characters?

Every character in Arm meets an untimely death. :D
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

My first character was, of course, Dalmeth.  He was a Tuluki hunter who managed to attain the rank of Sergeant in hardened, gritty group of mercenaries... numbering four.  The head of the group was Captain, the other guy who joined on with him was Lieutenant, and the last I never got to see, sadly.  They taught me the basics, like how to use the craft command, and I ran around Tuluk while those folks were doing all their business until they took me to Red Storm.  We actually robbed this one guy who was sleeping on the Salt Flats and fought off a raider elf.  Everything was going well until a group of five tarantulas attacked, and I was split from the group along with my mount.  In my newbishness, I'd also packed all my water onto my mount.  So, the poor fella started to dehydrate, leaving him too week to run away when a tarantula tracked him down and ate him.  It was great!  Probably lasted two months, at most.

Gosh darn, I miss those days. ;D
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Cant really remember much of my first characters, as most of them dropped like flies.

One of the first that got me hooked on the game, or at least resulted in a memorable experience was one of my Byn characters.

Back in the days when whatever character of Byn character of ShaLeah's would dance on the Gaj bartop. There was some dual-sword wielding elf. And an incident in the latrines with a shit-monster (I think it was a rat).

First one I remember by name was my character Bjergar, which got de-sylallablized down to just "Gar". Don't remember much of his life, just that when he got out of the Byn he had made a few contacts, and died somehow :(
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Ah, the good old days of total newbishness!

My first PC was Lyndra, the plaited, emerald-eyed woman. She was a warrior/mercenary. My husband is a long time Armer, and the one who got me started playing in the first place..and he recommended that combo, and joining the byn. So, being the dutiful wife that I am (haha) I promptly joined up with the byn. Akasha was the Sergeant at that time, and she took poor, dumb Lyndra under her wing, and I slowly learned the game, and really started to have a blast. I think Lyndra almost died to Gith the very first time she ever went out on a mission...my husband was in the room yelling "You have to FLEE!" I kinda didn't get the whole watching your HP during combat spam thing. Somehow she managed not to die of my stupidity for a while, and she made it to the Sergeant level in the Byn. Then, on basically her first mission with an Allanaki Templar, she was eaten by a big group of spiders when we went out on a spider hunt. I think it looked something like:

A big assed tarantula falls in from above.

A big assed tarantula starts fighting you.

A big assed tarantula joins a big assed tarantulas fight!

BEEP! Welcome to Armageddon!
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

This was the character who first hooked me into Arm, though there was a merchant city elf before him who REALLY REALLY wanted to learn to be like the desert elves.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

My first character was a Byn trooper called Yraen, who also got trained by Akasha. Along with Lyndra and Pendeh and Croyd and probably a bunch of other folk who went on to become more famous than he did.

I odn't remember much except for how he died - fighting a bunch of gith, bravely stupidly standing in front of a tent full of wounded guys. We'd been jumped by gith on a contract, and after chasing them off had been trying to keep this almost dead halfbreed called Vargr alive through the night. We were all pretty fucked up, so boy were we glad when Lt Akasha showed up to bail us out. Unfortunately, dawn broke to reveal: all the gith regrouped just over the next dune.

The funniest part was that the very first volley of spears killed the unconscious guy, who Akasha had just that second dragged out of the tent (I suspect she used him as a shield). Then things got hectic, and Akasha and Lyndra had to bug out... Leaving all the gith to switch focus to my dude. He lasted about... two rounds.

The last thing he saw was, "The lanky, yellow-grey gith starts destroying a small, desert-camouflaged tent." Whoops.

Believe I have Lyndra's death logged :)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Grey Area on July 06, 2008, 04:16:18 AM
My first character was a Byn trooper called Yraen, who also got trained by Akasha. Along with Lyndra and Pendeh and Croyd and probably a bunch of other folk who went on to become more famous than he did.

I odn't remember much except for how he died - fighting a bunch of gith, bravely stupidly standing in front of a tent full of wounded guys. We'd been jumped by gith on a contract, and after chasing them off had been trying to keep this almost dead halfbreed called Vargr alive through the night. We were all pretty fucked up, so boy were we glad when Lt Akasha showed up to bail us out. Unfortunately, dawn broke to reveal: all the gith regrouped just over the next dune.

The funniest part was that the very first volley of spears killed the unconscious guy, who Akasha had just that second dragged out of the tent (I suspect she used him as a shield). Then things got hectic, and Akasha and Lyndra had to bug out... Leaving all the gith to switch focus to my dude. He lasted about... two rounds.

The last thing he saw was, "The lanky, yellow-grey gith starts destroying a small, desert-camouflaged tent." Whoops.

Aha, that was my firstest mission evah. Oh yah, we'll run up to Tuluk and back, no problem. HA! NOOB! I think at one point, when I went back and looked at my long, there were five spears being throw into our room at one PC, that poor half-elf guy, who didn't make it through the night. I was like...Oh shit, time to run. And I think we made it about three rooms before it was night and we couldn't see anything. At that point, Lyndra was furiouslyl contacting Akasha for help. Of course, then the shit hit the fan again in the morning, and even Akasha had to run away. I think, out of that whole group who went out for that trip, only three made it back. I thought it was awesome, and was hooked on this game (though it wasn't the first time that something wild had happened to that group of Bynners, and I was sucked in), but I felt terrible that I was such a NOOB, and I'd taken a group out that got massacred. I think it was about three RL weeks later (or perhaps even sooner) That she was eaten by spiders. And I was hopelessly hooked.

Armaddict: I'd love to see that log.
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."