Encumbrance & Fighting

Started by Morgenes, July 02, 2008, 11:32:20 AM

Ok, hold on, I think this deserves a poll.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Furious George on July 08, 2008, 04:18:27 PM
Why not have the person giving something heavy over,

A little post-command delay for give?  That would help PCs out.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

July 08, 2008, 04:23:06 PM #127 Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:26:11 PM by Furious George
Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 08, 2008, 04:21:22 PM
Quote from: Furious George on July 08, 2008, 04:18:27 PM
Why not have the person giving something heavy over,

A little post-command delay for give?  That would help PCs out.

Thing is, you don't want a delay for -everything- you're giving over in just any setting...buying armor, giving coins, whatever.  Though, it probably wouldn't matter all that much.

As for nogive...I can imagine the sneaky bastards who enjoy the plant function will rise up and begin throwing things.

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 08, 2008, 02:39:00 PM
Qzzrbl, I believe you're correct, but a direct 'accepting/not accepting items' toggle would have unrealistic behaviour with regard to plant.

Yeah, so long as nogive leaves plant alone, I'd be cool with it.

I'd be pissed if I tried to plant some spice on someone outside of the 'Nakki gates so I can run off with their expensive mount, and got shut down because of nogive.  >:(

Just got my account approved, and feel the need to chime in.

I study SCA combat, and have for almost a decade.  While I do live in California, we have three hours practices all the time, and eight hour fighting events in 60-100 pounds of gear.  I've fought in Florida in the summer, and Arizona in the spring as well, and while you wanted to wear less at times due to heat, if you stayed hydrated, you could suck up the discomfort and fight all day.

In terms of code, I'd like to see fitted armor be considered to weigh some fraction of its weight when worn.  Its easier for me to wear my gear off the field and hike to the truck than to carry it around in rucksacks. 

Both SCA fighting and in the other style I train in, the ability to stop a full speed, full power blow is expected of most students.  This allows training without armor in one form, and allows novices to train without masters without injury.  Its mostly a matter of learning how to end the blow at the skin rather than one, three or six inches past the point of contact.  The development of the skill is a stepping stone towards other edge control and attack skill concepts that are necessary.

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

Quote from: Halcyon on July 08, 2008, 08:58:48 PM

I study SCA combat, and have for almost a decade.  While I do live in California, we have three hours practices all the time, and eight hour fighting events in 60-100 pounds of gear.  I've fought in Florida in the summer, and Arizona in the spring as well, and while you wanted to wear less at times due to heat, if you stayed hydrated, you could suck up the discomfort and fight all day.

In terms of code, I'd like to see fitted armor be considered to weigh some fraction of its weight when worn.  Its easier for me to wear my gear off the field and hike to the truck than to carry it around in rucksacks. 

Welcome aboard.  You will find that what you expect is so.  Armor that is worn encumbers you a fraction of what it would in your inventory.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Derail approaching!

Quote from: Halcyon on July 08, 2008, 08:58:48 PM

Both SCA fighting and in the other style I train in, the ability to stop a full speed, full power blow is expected of most students.  This allows training without armor in one form, and allows novices to train without masters without injury.  Its mostly a matter of learning how to end the blow at the skin rather than one, three or six inches past the point of contact.  The development of the skill is a stepping stone towards other edge control and attack skill concepts that are necessary.

I had never heard of SCA combat... so I looked it up. Thank you YouTube. So it's kinda like LARPing? But more... intense or realistic or something?

Quote from: Winterless on July 08, 2008, 09:56:23 PM
I had never heard of SCA combat... so I looked it up. Thank you YouTube. So it's kinda like LARPing? But more... intense or realistic or something?

It looks like the same spirit as civil war reenactment (except focused on medieval wars) mixed with competitive sport.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on July 08, 2008, 10:40:54 PM
Quote from: Winterless on July 08, 2008, 09:56:23 PM

It looks like the same spirit as civil war reenactment (except focused on medieval wars) mixed with competitive sport.

Bingo.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Oh shit. Did the mud crash, did it crash?

Ooo, is the change going in now? Ooo.

Dammit.

Heh heh he.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Weekly Maintenance happened today.

This code change is LIVE.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Yeah, so I've been kinda catching up on the board occasionally lately, so I'm coming into this discussion late...

Earlier in this discussion, either X D or 7DV said that someone else's experience with armor protecting his/her character enough is anecdotal... well, sorry to say, guys, but your experience is too.  Just because you don't see a 'armor piece X blocks the blow!" doesn't mean that it didn't absorb damage.  That message only comes when it absorbs the ENTIRE hit instead of just part of it.  You can't use the quantity of those messages as an indicator.

'Notake' or 'nogive' or 'nosave give' is mandatory, in my eyes... well, unless we can be reassured that any death to such twinky behavior as some fear will result in a resurrection.  I doubt this would be the case, though.  I've heard a few people bitching about how someone did something totally twinky in order to kill their character... and they didn't get a resurrection.  I don't think any of us care nearly as much if someone else gets punished for performing a twinky kill on our characters... we care about getting our characters back that died to someone being a real jerk on an OOC level.  The reason the characters are not resurrected?  Because it wasn't a bug.  Well, this won't be a bug either.  It'll be a 'code feature.'  We've had other coded fixes to prevent twinking, so why not this one?

Don't get me wrong, I think that encumbrance should affect combat.  I thought it did.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.