6 months
1 year
more than 1 year
set up
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 28, 2008, 09:13:27 PM
I don't understand the question.

I am assuming, The question is what is the preference for a characters life in RL time. How long do you prefer your favorite characters to live, before a few times happen. Either they die or you get bored... Supposing...?  8)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I went with a year as a general rule of thumb, though I've had a few I would have loved to have played much longer.

Between 6 months and a year is good for me. It's long enough I can really dig into the plotlines in the vicinity of my character, and short enough I can still feel things are "fresh" and look forward to a new PC without frustration of the old one. After a year, even when I enjoy the character, I start wondering when I'll be able to try something new.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Oh.

I don't think it's character's longevity that contributes to me getting bored with them.

This poll doesn't apply to me, because I've never had a character for over two months. Hell one month is pushing it.

That's not due to preference, either. I usually get tired of my character and suicide/retire, Or they die.

I guess you could say my preference is for short lived characters, but I -really- want a long lived one.

Edit: P.S. There is a typo in the poll options.

The poll is entirely about your preference, not your prior success / failure with keeping a character alive.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

I don't think I could 'prefer' to do something I've never done before.

I can want to do something I've never done, but that doesn't mean I prefer it over something I have.

At about the six month or 20-25 days played mark I notice myself becoming bored and getting stuck doing the same things over and over again.  So if I can't find something fresh at that time I normally begin to wish for something to happen and start planning another character.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2008, 09:28:07 PM
This poll doesn't apply to me, because I've never had a character for over two months. Hell one month is pushing it.

That's not due to preference, either. I usually get tired of my character and suicide/retire, Or they die.

I guess you could say my preference is for short lived characters, but I -really- want a long lived one.

Edit: P.S. There is a typo in the poll options.

RGS and I could possibly be the same person. Shit.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I usually get tired/too connected to a character after 6 months to continue playing. I start acting like them IRL, or I just stop logging into Arm because at that point as it is too boring when everyone avoids me for 2 months.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

The longer I play a character, the more attached to them I become.  I've had instances where the character has become really boring for awhile, and normally I can just chug on through and grow to appreciate it more.

I tend to invest a lot of time, emotion, and effort into my PCs so it will usually keep them fresh for me as long as I keep playing them.  So I don't really have a preference on the max amount of time I want to play a PC.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

The longer I have a character, the longer I can explore them and the more in-depth their story becomes.

The occasional break is inevitable with such a long-lived PC, but I've always come back feeling fresh.

Quote from: Ender on June 28, 2008, 10:02:35 PM
The longer I play a character, the more attached to them I become.  I've had instances where the character has become really boring for awhile, and normally I can just chug on through and grow to appreciate it more.

I tend to invest a lot of time, emotion, and effort into my PCs so it will usually keep them fresh for me as long as I keep playing them.  So I don't really have a preference on the max amount of time I want to play a PC.

seconded
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I enjoy a long lived character over a shortlived one, but on the flip side, when that long lived character dies it makes creating a new one all that much more of a pain in the ass for me.

Sort of like: The further along I get in the game, the less and less I want to start over, if that makes sense.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I've loved all my long characters, and I'll echo everyone else..

Quote from: Bogre on June 28, 2008, 10:48:24 PM

seconded

Thirded?.....  ???

seconded

Quote from: musashi on June 28, 2008, 11:18:38 PM

I enjoy a long lived character over a shortlived one, but on the flip side, when that long lived character dies it makes creating a new one all that much more of a pain in the ass for me.

Sort of like: The further along I get in the game, the less and less I want to start over, if that makes sense.

QFT
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I feel shamed.. Pale Horse did not add me in the quoting part of seconds and thirds!  :'(

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on June 28, 2008, 11:29:17 PM
I've loved all my long characters, and I'll echo everyone else..

seconded

Thirded?.....  ???

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on June 28, 2008, 11:54:35 PM
I feel shamed.. Pale Horse did not add me in the quoting part of seconds and thirds!  :'(

Fourthed :P
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I prefer characters on slow burn, that last over a year.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I've had roughly up to 11 to 12 characters, within the past year and a half - So I guess I haven't really gotten a preference for "Character Longevity", yet.

The amount of time I want to put into a character really depends on how much fun I get out of it. I spend less amount of time on the more boring characters, so they tend to live longer then my active, "Yay, this rocks" characters.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Currently playing my first long-lived character, I can say that it is fun, but can get rather boring sometimes. What is fun is having that rich backstory that you have seen develop as you play that character. The plots that are formed and end within your life. Being able to look back, as your character, at past events and be able to comment on them IC. Yes, it can get boring however. You oftentimes find that your character grows flat. Oftentimes I sometimes notice that many of my characters words are my own, or that their personality has shifted to my own. I find it is hard to play a very different character who has a different personality than my own, for great amounts of time.

MY best experience by far was with a long lived character (nearly 2 years RL and 60ish days played). I don't think it is the longevity that made it fun, but the fun that made it last. I still miss that character now, even though I'm well into another one and would quite happily drop any role to have it back. I could probably have played her quite happily until the end of Arm, and was more than ready to.

Thus my answer is 1year + for sure. Because if I have character that lasts that long - it means I'm really enjoying it. If I'm bored I usually do dumb things and die.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

The thing about this question to me anyway is we all have the tools to make our chars go away.  Retirement, for instance.  But part of the fun for me is trying to maintain them as long as I can.  And this might be against other people trying to kill them or taking risky chances.