Sun, moon and stars

Started by Ammut, June 25, 2008, 07:06:24 PM

I recently was out and checked the weather, then tried to "look jihae," and "look lirathu."  I ended up checking the helpfiles for an idea of what they look like, then started wondering about constellations and stars.  Are there any stars in the sky which code-wise rotate around the planet? Is there a command I'm missing that allows me to stargaze to the heavens or is this to be done all ICly?

Personally, while I have nothing against roleplaying it all out accordingly, it would be nice to be able to have many people seeing the same thing at once when you look at the sky.  A flying comet, meteor showers, the progression of the equinoxes, and so on. 

There are no stars in Zalanthas, unless I' m mistaken.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on June 25, 2008, 07:45:56 PM

Only when an Imm is visible... they show up as various cosmic bodies.

The definitive, staff-sponsored answer.

Generally, you don't see much because there is too much dust in the atmosphere.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Winterless on June 25, 2008, 07:52:55 PM

Your PCs don't see them, though–those are out-of-character elements. Don't refer to the Constellation of Nessalin or whatever in-game.

There are stars in the Zalanthan sky, but they're not visible from most locations due to atmospheric conditions. They are visible from some places, but a city dweller might not have ever seen them; a starry sky over Allanak is something exceptionally rare indeed.

Quote from: jstorrie on June 25, 2008, 09:37:55 PM

Your PCs don't see them, though–those are out-of-character elements. Don't refer to the Constellation of Nessalin or whatever in-game.

There are stars in the Zalanthan sky, but they're not visible from most locations due to atmospheric conditions. They are visible from some places, but a city dweller might not have ever seen them; a starry sky over Allanak is something exceptionally rare indeed.

And yet, in an odd way I think it would be cool to reference an imm in game ... like smiling right before a raid, because the good fortunes of Sanvean are shining down upon you and your tribal brothers.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

None of the character know who Sanvean is. I get your point, of course. But yeah. The Staff are not gods in Arm. Just staff.

All we have is Muk, and Tek.

QuoteJihae  (Cultural) 
The moon Jihae is the darker of the two moons and appears as a flawless, ruddy sphere against the night sky. While marginally smaller in apparent size than its twin, Jihae's cultural impact outweighs Lirathu's fairly regularly. Often looked upon as the War Moon, or the Moon of Bad Omen, celestial events involving Jihae are feared by the superstitious and always recalled, even by the level-headed, after any disaster.

Some travelers are threatened by a prominent Jihae and will elect not to travel under its glare. Other groups, usually sidelined or outcast, take a prominent Jihae as a stimulating event, and opt to commit dire acts beneath it.

QuoteLirathu  (Cultural) 
Lirathu is the paler of Zalanthas' two moons, its surface victim to the greying of deep ridges and craters. Several cultures on Zalanthas make superstitious associations between Lirathu and prosperity or peace, and celestial events involving Lirathu are often regarded as omens of good luck.

Manifestations of this superstition include the following: some thieves only prefer a moonless night to a night under Lirathu's glow, and many travelers will opt to travel when Lirathu dominates the night sky; similarly, spice hunters look upon a night under Lirathu as a sign of good sifting tomorrow.

Honestly, those two helpfiles gives me enough to base an entire roleplaying personality quirk off of - A PC who's really paranoid, etc. So, stars or no stars, the moons are enough to be hardcore, in their own way.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: musashi on June 26, 2008, 07:55:33 AM

And yet, in an odd way I think it would be cool to reference an imm in game ... like smiling right before a raid, because the good fortunes of Sanvean are shining down upon you and your tribal brothers.

I'd kill your PC for that.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Well you might try.  ::)

Anyway, was just saying it's a mildly amusing notion given how the admin names show up in the game. Not that it's something anyone should act on.

Quote from: Mood on June 26, 2008, 10:10:52 PM

I would kill you in the name of Nessalin.

Quote from: Rhyden on June 26, 2008, 10:39:26 PM

Are you sure Nessalin needs the help?
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Rhyden on June 26, 2008, 10:39:26 PM

That made me lol.