how do you roleplay at the bar?

Started by Xarnia, June 12, 2008, 08:04:00 AM

Yeah. I always imagined the Sanc. as having a curved bar sticking out of the north wall, with a curved ramp leading up to the common room, and a slight overhang over the ramp maybe five feet up that has tables on it. Dunno, just me.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

QuoteIf we are like 6 o 7 people at the bar all in line. How is possible to talk to all of them?

The same way you do in a real bar?  Ever been to one?

Quotefurther more, how can I look at the person who sits 6 stools away from me and be able to check whether he/she has a tattoo or a magickers gem?

Positioning code could certainly assist with determining visibility... It could be assumed that seats always start at the north end and work around clockwise, and seating position is determined by the number of the seat your are in.

QuoteAlso, 6 stools away is really not that far. If the stools are centered 30 inches apart, then someone 6 stools away from you is only 15 feet away. That's certainly close enough to see a lot of details on a person.

Having two feet between stools in a bar is pretty uncommon.  Most of the bars around here have stools that practically touch one another.  That would put someone six stools down the bar from you about nine feet away, assuming each stool is a foot and a half in diameter.,,, Which is huge, really.

Anyhow, I think you're probably pretty close to people at the bar with you... Close enough to speak to them... You might have to raise your voice, but you -can- converse at a bar (IRL, that is).

QuoteWell...you have 10 seats on each side...so let's assume we're just worried about one side at a time.

I have rarely seen tables this large in game, and feel that they should only be used for feasts or in certain dining halls of clans.  A table that seats twenty people or more seems pretty absurd to have in a tavern.  It would take up a huge amount of space and likely force patrons to sit together when they would prefer their own table.

I think tables that seat 4-6 are (and/or should be) much more common, and really, how hard is it to pay attention to one person at each side of a table, or even three in a line on opposing sides?

Anyhow, I think most of the information needed is contained in the descriptions, and if a simple "rule" were enacted that stated that seat numbering started at the northernmost seat and worked around clockwise the seating positions would be easily determined by both players and code.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I drew out a rough sketch of the Sanctuary at my perspective a few days ago.

The layout. (Why it's shaped like a Tetris piece, I don't know.)

Theives may blend within the black, / Yet don't fear, for fear they lack. / No no, son, there's more to hide from, / Among the cracks where fear resides, son.

That really captures how I imagined it!
Mindbender!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Haha I can't believe you posted that before I finished it.

Well, to be fair, it has been like ten years since I've worked on it.