Open pack: You feel too relaxed.

Started by Qzzrbl, May 31, 2008, 04:00:25 PM

Ugh, Mood. I get it dude. I get the point. But, ugh, that picture is fucking disturbing.

If it helps, I've known you where a dude for a long time.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Actually I was checking Rest out.

If your standing it says:

You sit down, and rest your tired bones.

-BUT- if your already sitting...it says:

You rest your tired bones.

Which I take to mean you sit down, then you lie back and rest your tired bones.

So actually from that I take it to mean you lay back, maybe just on his elbows or something but your laying back from what I can tell from the code.

Take from that tidbit, what you will.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

What it doesn't say is:

You lie back and rest your tired bones.

Or

You lean back and rest your tired bones.

Or

You lean back on your elbows and rest your tired bones.

Or

You sit down, then lie back and rest your tired bones.

My opinion on resting is that it can be interpreted however the player wants to interpret it. Resting can be done in a lot of ways. But I generally see it being possible in numerous different positions, so long as the person is relaxing their body. For example: You've just done a long run, bending over with your hands on your knees would be rest, leaning against a wall stood up woud be rest and help you recuperate. Sitting down and leaning against a wall would be rest. Sitting down and flopping forward would be rest. Lying back on your elbows would be rest. Curling up on a bed would be rest.

Why do we have to be so anal and try and dictate to players how -their- characters should rest? Take out the 'You sit down' part of the echo, slam in some command emotes and make packs openable. Let people rest however they see fit.

Edit:

Is that a dead horse...or a donkey...or a Mood?

Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Horse, As in beating a dead one.

Right, what do I win?
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on June 08, 2008, 02:30:17 AM
Horse, As in beating a dead one.

Right, what do I win?

Another gruesome picture of you're gonna get antsy about it. >:D

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on June 06, 2008, 11:42:53 AM

Actually I was checking Rest out.

If your standing it says:

You sit down, and rest your tired bones.

-BUT- if your already sitting...it says:

You rest your tired bones.

Which I take to mean you sit down, then you lie back and rest your tired bones.

So actually from that I take it to mean you lay back, maybe just on his elbows or something but your laying back from what I can tell from the code.

Take from that tidbit, what you will.

Quote from: Mood on June 02, 2008, 11:24:45 AM
Cognitive dissonance sure is funny.

FWIW, I agree with Maso.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Maso on June 07, 2008, 07:03:55 AM
Why do we have to be so anal and try and dictate to players how -their- characters should rest?

Answer :

Resting can be done in a lot of ways.

The truth is, resting as it stands or literally doesn't is a little too vague.  I'd certainly be open for allowing folks to open items in their inventory, but I'd restrict it there.  Resting should remain a position of incapacitation.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on June 08, 2008, 12:21:34 PM
Why do we have to be so anal and try and dictate to players how -their- characters should rest?

Answer :

Resting can be done in a lot of ways.

The truth is, resting as it stands or literally doesn't is a little too vague.  I'd certainly be open for allowing folks to open items in their inventory, but I'd restrict it there.  Resting should remain a position of incapacitation.

Absolutely. You shouldn't be able to craft and rest (maybe very basic things with a severe penalty, a starving, dying ranger may try to make a travel cake while half passed out in a cave with a gauge in his leg, but he should really struggle), you shouldn't be able to fight and rest, pick locks and rest or anything else taxing for that matter. The whole point is you are *resting*. But eating, drinking, talking, holding, reading, opening your bag etc - aka non physically straining tasks should be possible.

All I was really saying was: I don't want to be dictated to how my character is positioned when resting, I'm quite happy to accept that they are supposed to be resting. So saying that no - you shouldn't be able to open a pack because when resting you are lying down (because that's how I just imagine it to be for everyone always) just seems silly to me.

I imagine that it's possible that not being able to open a pack when resting is not something that the staff has made a conscious decision about but rather that something that is dictated by old code and is too difficult to change with the current architecture of the code. But we won't know that for sure unless a staff comments or it changes in Arm 2.0.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game