Sexism and Whoring in Zalanthas

Started by Taven, May 28, 2008, 12:56:27 PM

Part of the sexual freedom of Zalanthas is accepting that long-lasting exclusive relationships also happen.  It's not freedom if monogamists are discriminated against, it'd just be restrictive in the opposite way modern culture is.

Monogamy and polygamy are both equally acceptable.

Quote from: Tisiphone on June 11, 2008, 02:11:54 PM
I could also see 'whore' used as an insult, not so much because you're a prostitute, but because the word implies that you're a low class prostitute. You're not a courtesan or a concubine, you're a streetwalker.

I could see this used as an insult mostly in one specific case: against a courtesan, or concubine.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I'd like to go back to my earlier point about objectification if I may.

It has been argued that prostitution is one of the oldest professions and that, supposedly, in more ancient times was considered as worthy a profession as any other.  It was accepted as a regular course.

However, I still think even in those times there must've been some measure of negative emotions connoted with a prostitution.  Again, I'll use an example of comparing an every day craftsman, such as a cobbler, to the craft of prostitution.  I'm not "using" the cobbler in the same sense that I am a prostitute when I rent her services.  The differences are going to psychologically enter into the picture.  It's just that in those days one's emotions weren't regarded in the humane context they are today.  Nobody stopped (or more importantly, cared) to think that caning a child for getting a question wrong in school might leave serious long term scars to him psychologically.  But just because these things weren't openly discussed doesn't mean they didn't exist.  Just because all throughout history most marriages were pre-arranged and not done out of love doesn't mean people didn't fantasize about the idea of love or a life long lover.  Just because children's emotions weren't considered doesn't mean they didn't have emotions.

So, arguably, yes the idea of looking at prostitution as bad or wrong wouldn't be part of Zalanthas's culture.  Fair enough.  But that doesn't mean that certain emotions won't exist, both from the buyer and seller.  The seller (i.e., the prostitute) is bound to have some feelings, however well-hidden, of being used, treated as an object.  The buyer on the other hand might just look upon the prostitute in question as a rag you toss in the laundry (rubbish?) bin when you're finished.

Just something interesting...about our world concerning prostitution.
This is sorta like how Zalanthas should be...parts of it...about italy and venice and such.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=30919

This is basically safe for work...except maybe that it talks about prostitution.  But no real nudity in this.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I have to say it really bothers me when I see basic commoner PC's getting up in arms and offended about the harsh realities of Zalanthas.

Prostitution - As common place, if not more so, than cooks, crafters, carpenters.

There are people starving to death in the streets so often in this world that we have a corpse pile that never depletes. Slavery is the backbone of the economy, sexual slavery being a major factor in its self. Get over being offended about prostitution, its silly. Especially if you are an average commoner. This is Zalanthas, not the United States.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

That's right! And start looting those bodies for boots!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

And start adding corpses to the pile!  Minus boots!
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Desertman on June 20, 2008, 03:03:38 PM
I have to say it really bothers me when I see basic commoner PC's getting up in arms and offended about the harsh realities of Zalanthas.

Prostitution - As common place, if not more so, than cooks, crafters, carpenters.

There are people starving to death in the streets so often in this world that we have a corpse pile that never depletes. Slavery is the backbone of the economy, sexual slavery being a major factor in its self. Get over being offended about prostitution, its silly. Especially if you are an average commoner. This is Zalanthas, not the United States.

I apologize for repeating myself, but I wanted to reiterate that I think if your pc is unaware that their reality is shitty, then it defeats the point. If everyone is perfectly comfortable with the levels of desperation and despair, then no one is going to be desperate or despairing. I think that's a mistake.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Despair is fine.

What I dont like to see is...."I am so appalled by the notion that someone would ever sell their body and I am a commoner who has seen it probably every day of thier life since they were a child"

You can be like..."Man, this fuckin sucks having to suck Byn dick for spice money"

But..."This is morally wrong on so many levels due to these feelings I was born with despite my environment growing up my whole life"

I see what you're saying. I feel the same way about begging. I think that whoring and begging should be about equal in status. Sucks to be them. But I don't think preachers should come out of the walls to preach against it. I think the correct response to these professions should be closer to mild pity than outright horror. It's not horrifying, it's just a bit sad. And I think both beggar and whore are legitimate insults, for the same reasons.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 21, 2008, 11:23:50 AM
I see what you're saying. I feel the same way about begging. I think that whoring and begging should be about equal in status. Sucks to be them. But I don't think preachers should come out of the walls to preach against it. I think the correct response to these professions should be closer to mild pity than outright horror. It's not horrifying, it's just a bit sad. And I think both beggar and whore are legitimate insults, for the same reasons.

I agree.

I dont think people should be happy about having to sell cunt for a living lol...I was just saying we shouldnt have a ton of PC's acting appalled by the mere sight of a whore. They see them constantly technically.

Or my favorite:

Slaves are treated so poorly.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.