The 'rinth

Started by Silent J, April 23, 2008, 04:41:49 PM

I'm on my third character right now, an elf. All I knew (emote checks his watch) one RL hour ago was that the Labyrinth is commonly called the "'rinth", and the eastside is the safest place for elves. Since then, I've been mugged, fled, disguised myself in castoff rags, found a hidden bar, avoided another mugging, witnessed an attempted murder, found an elven safehouse and slept in an abandoned building.

My pulse is going triple-time, and I'm never leaving the 'rinth again.

God bless Allanak. :)

I agree. It's wicked fun.

P.S. You shouldn't describe In Character events that happen within roughly a year.

Alright, I won't do it again.

Consider yourself told!!

::)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Even though you're on your third character, sometimes it takes that many or a couple more to really get into the excitement that ARM offers. I'm glad you have. Welcome to Crackageddon!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

By the way, I don't mean to double post, but is it possible to hold a conversation with an npc besides just listing with traders?

Absolutely. People might think you're crazy, and the conversation might be very one sided. But you never know when a Staff member will animate that NPC and start talking back.

emo ~RandomNPC talks to @
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

No one listens to me in my other replies...The Rinth is the best part of this game...hands down.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

April 24, 2008, 01:18:20 PM #10 Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:24:10 PM by slipshod
Quote from: Silent J on April 23, 2008, 07:48:46 PM
By the way, I don't mean to double post, but is it possible to hold a conversation with an npc besides just listing with traders?

Many NPCs have talk scripts on them.  Try 'talk <npc-keyword> name' or 'talk <npc-keyword> topics' or 'talk <npc keyword> rumors'.

Some of them will just say a word or two, some will say more and give you hints as to what other 'talks' you can use to extend the conversation, and some will have no talk script on them at all, and you'll get some error message like 'But you're not sitting at a table' or something.  Of course, you can also just solo RP a one-sided conversation with any NPC.  Just don't make too many assumptions about what the NPC would say to you if you don't know the NPC.  They are all 'real' people with backgrounds and ambitions too.

Editted to add:  Some of the traders will talk about their products, as well.  So you could try 'talk <merchant keyword> <item keyword>'
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: slipshod on April 24, 2008, 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: Silent J on April 23, 2008, 07:48:46 PM

Many NPCs have talk scripts on them.  Try 'talk <npc-keyword> name' or 'talk <npc-keyword> topics' or 'talk <npc keyword> rumors'.

Some of them will just say a word or two, some will say more and give you hints as to what other 'talks' you can use to extend the conversation, and some will have no talk script on them at all, and you'll get some error message like 'But you're not sitting at a table' or something.  Of course, you can also just solo RP a one-sided conversation with any NPC.  Just don't make too many assumptions about what the NPC would say to you if you don't know the NPC.  They are all 'real' people with backgrounds and ambitions too.

Editted to add:  Some of the traders will talk about their products, as well.  So you could try 'talk <merchant keyword> <item keyword>'

....really? I've been playing...years...and have never heard anything about that.

Thanks for sharing, slipshod. Definitely using that.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Talking to NPCs is something which is specific to your pc, it's race and guild.

I tend to get into my role each time I create a new PC, and then figure out how he/she deals with NPCs around him/her in whatever area my PC decides to play in.

For example, a merchant pc of mine might speak to some beggars and even given them coin now and then, asking them for gossip.

A noble's aide might speak with some militia npcs, asking about news around town.

A rinther might speak with other rinthers, enquiring about rich "marks" who've passed by recently.

The possibilities are endless, you just gotta figure out what your PC might like to do, and stick with that role.

You might be surprised, some Staff member might just animate one of the NPCs your PC usually interracts with, and give you some news/info/or just random fun RP.

PS: If you're enquiring specifically about talking to NPCs who might reply back, thats a different story, which depends on code. If I was you, I wouldnt really look forward to meeting a whole lotta them.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

May 05, 2008, 11:53:36 AM #14 Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:03:20 AM by musashi
My PC talks to his mount more than any other characters I think ... and staff have quite often popped in to animate back responses  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I interact with NPC's quite a lot. Well, depending on where I am playing area wise as I more comfortable with this in particular places where I know the NPC's better. I love it when the staff jump in and brighten up my experience a bit!

I have a problem with the talk command for chatting to coded NPC's though. The problem is: If they aren't coded to talk back then you end up saying silly things.

>sit bar
You sit a long wooden bar.
>talk drunk-man name
At your seat, you say in sirihish:
    "name"
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'm on my first and am EXTREMELY bored..

I'm tempted to retire her  ;D

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 23, 2008, 04:43:41 PM
I agree. It's wicked fun.

And with that, RGS tells the board he is from the frigid Northeastern United States.

Also, to krath with the 'rinth. I have never been able to get used to that place at -all-. one way streets, mazes, everyone wanting my shiny new boots. Uh uh.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm from Phoenix Arizona. Could be classified as the exact opposite of 'frigid', and 'north-east'. ::)

I can almost -promise- you that nobody uses "wicked" as an a qualifier for an adjective unless they're from NH.

Though, I'm trying to bring it back, but whenever I do, people call me Canadian.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Untrue.  We used "wicked" in the midwest like it was going out of style (and it probably was)...

Lately though, I only hear it when we are making fun of the kids from Ithica, NY.  And then it's like this:

"Wicket awe-sum, wicket awe-sum, man!"

Wicket.  Hah!
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

RGS, from Phoenix or lives in phoenix?

And yes...its as far from frigid as you can get. What are we hitting, ninety something tomorrow? Sighs.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

From Prescott, Live in Phoenix. And I mean Phoenix, not Peoria, or Mesa, or Chandler or anything like that.

Cool, In phoenix myself right down here on southern...course I could walk to tempe in about 10 minutes....Makes like 4 arm players total I know of that live here.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Heh, what's your nearest street/avenue?

I'm on 19th Avenue and vineyard, Southern is a stones throw away.

36th st and southern...so yup, your close.
Course this should probly be PM...cept the thread is dead anyway.
Lizzie:

Lurkers abound.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot