Re: The pending changes to Two-Handed use

Started by RogueGunslinger, April 01, 2008, 12:22:59 AM

April 01, 2008, 11:36:49 PM #25 Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:15:29 AM by brytta.leofa
Quote from: Fathi on April 01, 2008, 10:25:33 PM
  • etwo baby: A baby object, when equipped using the etwo command, will function as a shield. Please note, this may not last for very long, as babies have a tendency toward fragility.

<both hands> a tousle-headed infant

...moments later...

<both hands> a new tousle-headed infant

...moments later...

<both hands> a used tousle-headed infant

...moments later...

<both hands> a cracked tousle-headed infant
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

and then you could eat your shield.

a partially eaten cracked tousle-headed infant is here, crying.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

You can only eat Blue eyed infants.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

i
a packet of bitter blue dye
a cracked tousle-headed infant

craft dye infant into blue-eyed, tousle-headed infant
You begin crafting.

You put liberal drops of dye into each of the infant's eyes, dying them blue. You monster.

eat infant
You eat part of your cracked blue-eyed, tousle-headed infant

i
a partially eaten cracked blue-eyed tousle-headed infant
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Ah, I suppose that explains why the parry branching thing was never done in the past.  Thanks for trying for us, though, Morg :)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Also, note that this was not an April Fool's joke. Rock on.

Just gotta say that this code change makes me very happy.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

I just wish it would have come a day sooner, Ender ;)
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Does 2h, get parry anymore, I noticed that originally that he said if we got parry from dual wield, we would eventually get parry from 2h.  Then he made a post saying it doesnt work right now, is this fixed, or did he just edit the original statement to say only if you get it from dual wield?
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Quote from: Kill4Free on July 05, 2008, 07:17:14 PM
Does 2h, get parry anymore, I noticed that originally that he said if we got parry from dual wield, we would eventually get parry from 2h.  Then he made a post saying it doesnt work right now, is this fixed, or did he just edit the original statement to say only if you get it from dual wield?

If you feel you should branch parry from two-handed (you have trained two-handed enough to get it branched), you can submit a request and we will review your skills.  Unfortunately Arm 1 won't allow us to let you branch parry from both/either skills.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Gonna be a while before that happens, but thanks for answering my post quickly.

On a note of how you might fix it, couldnt you make a new skill that does the same thing as parry, and uses the same code parry does with just a different name, that 2h could branch into.  Im not sure how the code is designed, but its an idea.

Quote from: Kill4Free on July 05, 2008, 09:31:06 PM
Gonna be a while before that happens, but thanks for answering my post quickly.

On a note of how you might fix it, couldnt you make a new skill that does the same thing as parry, and uses the same code parry does with just a different name, that 2h could branch into.  Im not sure how the code is designed, but its an idea.

That would do it, but it would be quite a bit of a kludge, and then we'd have to kludge choosing between the two, or somehow keeping them in sync.  For Arm 1, I think this will have to do.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Morg, why not branch parry off of the defense skill instead, so that anyone with the proper level could get it? I think that would be a better option all the way around.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 05, 2008, 09:35:19 PM
Morg, why not branch parry off of the defense skill instead, so that anyone with the proper level could get it? I think that would be a better option all the way around.

This may sound weird, but in Arm 1's code, defense isn't a skill like every other skill.  It is handled differently, and can't branch anything.  And, if we'd wanted it to branch from defense, we probably would have worked it so it would.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

July 05, 2008, 09:48:17 PM #39 Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:19:47 PM by Is Friday
Can you have a hidden skill that mirrors the higher level of either two_handed or dual_wielding and in turn branches parry?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Morgenes on July 05, 2008, 09:43:33 PM
This may sound weird, but in Arm 1's code, defense isn't a skill like every other skill.  It is handled differently, and can't branch anything.  And, if we'd wanted it to branch from defense, we probably would have worked it so it would.
Err, alright. It was just an idea, boss. Nothing more. Not being critical or anything.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 05, 2008, 10:04:24 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on July 05, 2008, 09:43:33 PM
Err, alright. It was just an idea, boss. Nothing more. Not being critical or anything.
No offense, no worries, just explaining.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Hey Morg, sorry if you've answered this before, but I didn't see anything in the staff blog:

Are you coders tinkering with a way so that different skills can branch the same thing? i.e. two-handed and dual wield both branching parry, depending on which is your focus?

From what you guys hinted at earlier, it sounds like that'd be a hassle, but I didn't know if you were reworking a lot of the new code for 2.0.

Thanks.

Quote from: Lakota on July 05, 2008, 10:31:50 PM
Hey Morg, sorry if you've answered this before, but I didn't see anything in the staff blog:

Are you coders tinkering with a way so that different skills can branch the same thing? i.e. two-handed and dual wield both branching parry, depending on which is your focus?

From what you guys hinted at earlier, it sounds like that'd be a hassle, but I didn't know if you were reworking a lot of the new code for 2.0.

Thanks.

Yep, a much richer skill branching specification is in the works for Arm 2.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

While you are explaining all this, any advice on how we can tell when our skill is high enough to make it worth asking a staff for the extra skill?

On a sidenote on my char I somehow got stuck with the subguild acrobat, when I chose armorcrafting, not sure what happened there, but it really didnt fit with my character's background, story, or even race.  I did put a request up quite a few days ago, right after I made my char, as I didnt want to suicide him or anything to restart.  And there hasnt been a reply, now, I dont mind waiting, but if a mistake like that isnt approved to be fixed, then would it be likely that parry would be given?

Quote from: Morgenes on July 05, 2008, 10:33:42 PM
Quote from: Lakota on July 05, 2008, 10:31:50 PM

Thanks.

Yep, a much richer skill branching specification is in the works for Arm 2.

Awesome, thanks!