Who should -not- join the Byn

Started by Lizzie, March 13, 2008, 06:14:29 PM

Quote from: Mr.B on March 16, 2008, 06:00:22 AMGet past coded skillset thinking, give your character some personality and you'll have fun no matter what.

I firmly believe that this statement applies anywhere in the game.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I view the Byn as the newbie-help guild. I don't know why but that's always been the place, when trying to get someone addicted to ARM, to 'guide' a new player to.

Hell, my first PC was a Bynner.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Straight up, the Byn is great for anyone just getting into the game. Chances are, if you have never played Arm, and you roll a Noble's Aide or something... you might be a little lost. If, however, you decide on a Warrior because the helpfile for warrior even says "Warriors are the easiest persons to employ" which might be enticing.

Fact is, I -still- join the Byn with combat-oriented classes, only now I try to get some experience -first- so I can lord it over all the other recruits.

I'm going to say this: Some of my MOST fun experiences in Armageddon to date, have been on missions out with the Byn, and interacting with the Sarges. Don't knock the Byn down, its my love!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The fact that the Byn is a great way to get n00bs into the game, IMO, has absolutely nothing to do with the way the clan is set up, the schedules, or any of these things.  What makes the Byn a great clan for n00bs (and everyone really) is that it generally has a very large player base.  That is pretty much it.  The Byn has a large and consistent player base, and so it is generally pretty safe to shove n00bs in that direction.  Nothing kills it for a n00b worse than joining a clan for life and having that clan be inactive.  You got lost, have no direction, and are stuck with a shitty job all by yourself that you can't leave without getting pwn3d for deserting.

What makes a good n00b clan is lots of interaction.  Lots of interaction keep people interest and insures that things "happen" to them.  I know that my first "good" character that made me love this game was indeed a Byner.  The combat had absolutely nothing to do with it.  In fact, I found the combat generally dull.  What made me love the game was that the Byn was stuffed full of people and there was constant internal conflict.  There were always personality clashes, we were always getting into trouble, and in general "stuff" was always happening. 

Before that, I tried to join House Borsail.  My experience from House almost made me dump the game.  As a total n00b I managed to finder a leader, join, and then had no clue what the hell to do after that.  I didn't interact with many people, and didn't know what the hell to do in my off time (this was before bars actually had bars... if you can believe it).

I would feel safe recommending any active clan, the problem is that the Byn is the most active.  Not to divert too far off a tangent, but my biggest fear with 2.arm and all this babbling about independents is that we lose clans like the Byn that are always active and that player density thins.

March 21, 2008, 12:36:26 AM #54 Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:38:26 AM by alger
I recently tried to get into the Byn and got rejected!  Staff said it was not for me... well I'm twisting words but yeah... it happened!

On a more serious note, I tried joining the Byn when I was much newer than I am now and well to be honest I didn't like it very much.  Not to say that it sucked completely, like the beatings I got from fellow recruits like Tarq and all was enjoyable to a certain extent.  Problem was, the amount of interaction was actually quite little (off peaker) and somewhat substandard to a certain extent.  Not that I'm dissing anybody else's roleplay, it's just that I found that if I was stuck with a majority of players who were also trying to learn the game I didn't learn as much as I wanted.  It is actually somewhat odd because after that, I made a 'rinthi and I found that I learned so much more there.  Mainly because I had much more space to satisfy my curiosities and was surrounded by a lot more experienced players which made me realize how deep characters can become.

Of course, I'm not saying that the Byn sucks.  Usually all places have its up and downs and finding an enjoyable experience in a place can, to a certain extent, fall onto chance.  As a place for newbies, it wasn't for me and I would expect it would be the same for some other people.

Actually, IMHO, I think the reason the Byn is so good for new-ish players is that it teaches emotes. If you have an active Sergeant or Troopers, they'll usually help you out with your "chores" that you have to do, which involves a lot of emoting, so it kind of gets you in the habit.

Or at least, it did for me, but I'll be damned if I ever remember the difference between ^ and %
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Rindan on March 21, 2008, 12:21:22 AMNot to divert too far off a tangent, but my biggest fear with 2.arm and all this babbling about independents is that we lose clans like the Byn that are always active and that player density thins.

I believe after a short while something resembling the Byn will be formed by PCs in Arm2.  There was a time with no Byn in arm1, and players did create the Byn.  Perhaps having all the options in their hands, players will tend to go for independent adventures more often than they would seek fun in a clan, that might make Arm2 Byn a little less fun.  But I think we will not know until we see the original game.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: Rindan on March 21, 2008, 12:21:22 AM
Not to divert too far off a tangent, but my biggest fear with 2.arm and all this babbling about independents is that we lose clans like the Byn that are always active and that player density thins.

My greatest fear as well, I especially fear it will kill clan play for off-peakers. My guess would be that during off peak, close to all active PCs will do independant stuff and rarely be seen, and that only during peak hours some clan play happens.

Quote from: Ghost on March 21, 2008, 02:18:38 AM

I believe after a short while something resembling the Byn will be formed by PCs in Arm2.  There was a time with no Byn in arm1, and players did create the Byn.

There is validity to this statement however, I wonder if we have different expectations for Arm.2 than we would if we were playing a game that was starting from scratch. When Arm.1 was starting it didn't have 15 years of culture and fifteen years of developed standards for a newbie to confront.

I have only been playing for six  years, so I'm not an authority. For the older players, before the Byn, was Arm more accessible to newbies? Maybe the Byn developed (in this capacity as a ccatch place for new players, not as a mercenary group per se) with the need for a newbie immersive clan. Will Arm.2 open with that need?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on March 21, 2008, 10:22:00 AMI have only been playing for six  years, so I'm not an authority. For the older players, before the Byn, was Arm more accessible to newbies? Maybe the Byn developed (in this capacity as a ccatch place for new players, not as a mercenary group per se) with the need for a newbie immersive clan.

Somewhere, Krrx is devising a real nasty way to kill your hapless character.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I remember not trying the Byn out for a long while because I considered it the 'Mud School' of Armageddon.

Krrx was certainly no slouch, though... And when I did give the Byn a chance it was certainly worthwhile.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on March 21, 2008, 12:39:35 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on March 21, 2008, 10:22:00 AMI have only been playing for six  years, so I'm not an authority. For the older players, before the Byn, was Arm more accessible to newbies? Maybe the Byn developed (in this capacity as a ccatch place for new players, not as a mercenary group per se) with the need for a newbie immersive clan.

Somewhere, Krrx is devising a real nasty way to kill your hapless character.

I'll stay off the shield wall.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."