Combat Damage

Started by Spud, March 07, 2008, 12:10:08 PM

This must have been brought up before, because I'm not that smart and things tend to come up a few times before any changes are made. Or, maybe it's already this way and I'm unaware.

I was thinking about the damage you can do using different attack styles and remembered that I'm stronger when I use both hands instead of one. So, I thought having a weapon in both hands should do more damage than having a weapon in either hand. Now, the help files do state that two-handing a weapon will cause you to inflict more damage but I thought maybe the damage scale for a two handed weapon should be different from a single handed weapon.

For example:
The burly man viciously slashes your neck. - sword in one hand
The burly man viciously slashes your neck. - sword in one hand
vs
The burly man viciously slashes your neck. - sword in both hands

Obviously, both are viciously slashing your neck, but dual wield would do more damage in this case since it does it twice. I thought perhaps the damage scale for a two handed weapon should be upped, so that a vicious from a two handed weapon equals more than a vicious from a one handed weapon.

I could be completely off track here and this might be confusing to some, completely unecessary, or already in place. Thoughts?
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

March 07, 2008, 12:23:20 PM #1 Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:27:50 PM by some guy
I think that two-handed weapons, or the etwo function, should simply give a greater damage boost than it currently does. In fact, I barely notice any damage advantage when using a two-handed weapon over simply wielding an equivalent weapon in one hand, and it's pretty obvious that dual-wielding is in most cases plain better with the current code. Very few characters use a two-handed weapon as their primary style, and I believe this has as much to do with the fact that it kinda sucks as the issue with certain guilds more or less having to use dual-wield.

I've tried etwo'ing normal weapons, I've tried using actual two-handed weapons, and I've never seen any kind of advantage. I believe the only benefit of using a two-handed weapon occurs early in a character's life where dual-wielding is pretty crappy due to low skill, whereas etwo'ing is decent. This quickly evens out, and dual-wield ends up far surpassing it in terms of damage output, and using a shield is a gigantic defensive boost, so etwo becomes the worst style short of using one single-handed weapon and nothing else.

I believe that certain types of two-handed weapons may start to shine in the hands of a particular guild once it has branched something unmentionable, but that's too exclusive for most.

Actually.

ETWO, like most skills does not  seem to do much simply because you do not have the skills improved enough.

Dual wielding gives you the most attacks at the lowest accuracy, lower accuracy means fewer head/neck shots, and we all know that is where the damage is. But it gives you a better chance to parry.

ETWO gives you the next highest number of attacks and the best accuracy with the second best parry. At high skill levels...hhhhmmm.

Single hand  1 weapon is the middle ground between the two.

(All this can be found in the help files BTW, I just happen to have enough experiance with them IG to tell you that the help files are in fact correct...again)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Wow, X-D, that was extremely helpful. And will be for my next PC, I now feel inspired to play a combat based role.  8)