Separating sdesc and item referral symbols

Started by some guy, March 06, 2008, 04:42:56 PM

Like, ~ for characters, * (or something else) for items. What ya think?

Yes, please.

>tell amos (grabbing at the edge of ~duster as it flaps in the wind) What a fuckin' storm, eh?

Grabbing at the edge of the figure in the camouflaged duster as it flaps in the wind, the dusty, amosette says to the figure in the camouflaged duster, in southern accented sirihish:
What a fuckin' storm, eh?

Can't tell you how many times something like that has happened... would love to be able to not have to check for keywords for every single thing. To be able to go...

>tell amos (grabbing at the edge of *duster as it flaps in the wind) What a fuckin' storm, eh?

Grabbing at the edge of her desert camouflaged duster as it flaps in the wind, the dusty, amosette says to the figure in the camouflaged duster, in southern accented sirihish:
What a fuckin' storm, eh?

This can be avoided using the keyword command in advance, but that only works if you like notice ahead of time there might be a mix up. I'm kind of torn between the added level of complexity in emoting versus cutting down the mis-targets. I'll have to ponder this one some more.
Amor Fati

alias k keyword
the lines are drawn
the orders are in
the dance commander's
ready to sin
radio message from hq
dance commander
we love you

The emoting symbols are complicated enough IMO. I don't think we need to have a seperate command for items and PCs.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I can see a couple of drawbacks with this idea.  They are:

That almost all of the symbols are already used by other things.
and
That I am lazy and don't want to learn new symbols when it took me a month and more to learn the OLD ones.

The first one is the more problematic of the two I think.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I play in another mud that does this, but I think arm has spearheaded the problem more effectively with the keyword command.

Now, I'm not certain about this... But when I have a problem with item vs player keywords, it's almost always -myself- that I'm targeting... If items you are wearing or carrying were put before players and/or the only way to target -yourself- was with "me" or "self" it might make targeting certain wearables more intuitive...
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Yeah, I like the idea of having a command like * target keywords just like ~ but only target item keywords not pc. How could that be a bad thing? I can only see advantages to having the ability to more easily define objects in your emotes.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

March 08, 2008, 03:48:03 PM #9 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:52:45 PM by psionic fungus
Well...  I do use the other emote symbols when referencing items, as well.

For example:

>emote deftly rotates ~dagger in ^me hand and slips !dagger under ~cloak.

The tall, muscular man deftly rotates his obsidian dagger in his hand and slips it under his dark, hooded cloak.

Of course, it's easier to type "it" and such, but... If there is the ability for characters to turn themselves into objects introduced into 2.Arm, there could be issues with the character-object seeing "it" instead of "you".

Okay... You're right.  That's probably never going to happen.

Still, if objects were only referenced with a single symbol (*) then this would be functionally impossible.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!