Capital Punishment Overused

Started by Sholdyn, March 02, 2008, 09:26:33 PM

Quote from: Taven on November 27, 2008, 11:52:36 AM
I would really, REALLY like one of my PCs to be tortured to death.

No, really. If the PC is GOING to die, I'd rather have a scene like that then a BLARGH-INSTA-KILL thing. Give me the hope that my pitaful pleas will be heard, and mercy will be granted. Take that hope and SQUASH it infront of me when the PC realizes that they aren't going to live... AND they aren't going to die fast.

Also, PLEASE don't be one of those people who goes "me too tough to scream, me is BRAVE" because that's lame. Part of the reason I want to have a PC tortured to death is just so I can have someone being tortured act right for ONCE.

Ahem. I'm not a sadist. Really. >.>

And I'm not a masochist.  Really.  <.<

For the record, I think you would be surprised at how many people do act realistically in torture.  We do still see a lot of "My name is Bruce (Willis)" personae in torture situations, but a lot of people do break and crumble, which is just what we like to see.  Realism in torture is terrific!
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: FightClub on November 28, 2008, 03:07:56 PM
I'd like to pipe up and say, for once, most of the templarate I've met in game currently, are pretty cool, and are all about expanding rp.  Kudos to those of you I've played with.

Indeed.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I have a good log of me being publically tortured to death by a templar.
It is over a year that I have been meaning to edit and submit it...
I should get on that.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on November 28, 2008, 03:18:14 PM
Quote from: Taven on November 27, 2008, 11:52:36 AM
I would really, REALLY like one of my PCs to be tortured to death.

No, really. If the PC is GOING to die, I'd rather have a scene like that then a BLARGH-INSTA-KILL thing. Give me the hope that my pitaful pleas will be heard, and mercy will be granted. Take that hope and SQUASH it infront of me when the PC realizes that they aren't going to live... AND they aren't going to die fast.

Also, PLEASE don't be one of those people who goes "me too tough to scream, me is BRAVE" because that's lame. Part of the reason I want to have a PC tortured to death is just so I can have someone being tortured act right for ONCE.

Ahem. I'm not a sadist. Really. >.>

And I'm not a masochist.  Really.  <.<

For the record, I think you would be surprised at how many people do act realistically in torture.  We do still see a lot of "My name is Bruce (Willis)" personae in torture situations, but a lot of people do break and crumble, which is just what we like to see.  Realism in torture is terrific!

Man, when we meet IC, it's going to be EPIC. Not that I want any of my PCs to die. Really.

I have yet to see a well-played out torture-- Oh, wait, there was one. It was an imm, though, so I don't think it counts. No offense, it's just we KNOW you guys can do stuff well, isn't that why you're imms? (Please note that telling me you're only imms because the Highlord declared you so, and so you can brutally torture us would CLEARLY be a spreading of IC information. xD)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I tend to not torture people because I've been bitched out OOC one or two times.

Torture, even with consent, is a sticky area. I don't want to overly offend players so I tend to not eviscerate them and then play with their bowels.

Quote from: Yam on November 28, 2008, 07:28:01 PM
I tend to not torture people because I've been bitched out OOC one or two times.

Torture, even with consent, is a sticky area. I don't want to overly offend players so I tend to not eviscerate them and then play with their bowels.

Wait a minute... Wait a minute...

THAT'S why it's sex and power, and not sex, power, and EVISERCATING PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH BOWELS.

The world makes so much more sense now. ;)

I'm surprised to see so many people actually -want- to be tortured on the GDB. I haven't seen much of that in game. Usually the two attitudes are "I'm completely totally innocent, don't torture me, set me free! This isn't fair!", or "Okay, I'm guilty, you caught me, just kill me quick, please?"

I suppose, if faced between a well-roleplayed torture scene or getting a character killed, I'd go for torture myself. In faced between a poor torture scene, i.e. "emote slices off your arm with one slice of her sword.", and death, I might just go for death. Lots of times people end up killing the people they torture anyway, so the torture is insult to injury.

From a torturer's perspective, I don't get much out of it. The Templar Torture Toys in Allanak can be fun (If Tuluk has anything like them I've never been unlucky enough to see), but to me, it's just boring to stand there in a cell and emote inflicting pain on somebody for 20 minutes. Unless there's a compelling RP scene in the works, I think it's better to just skip the nonsense and kill the guy, or not.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Well when you're making someone a double amputee for looking at you on accident, I can see why.  But if it's warranted, lashings, beatings, maybe some fingers, an eye, or tongue.  I can handle it.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: Southie on November 28, 2008, 08:01:32 PM
From a torturer's perspective, I don't get much out of it.

Don't you enjoy nibbling their toes?  Just a little?  Nom nom nom.

Also, for me personally, I'd want a happy medium ... not instant death but not something too ridiculously long.  You know, try to combine the horror of seeing my own spleen with the harsh reality of a boot to my temple making it all go *beep*.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: FightClub on November 28, 2008, 08:01:39 PM

Well when you're making someone a double amputee for looking at you on accident, I can see why.  But if it's warranted, lashings, beatings, maybe some fingers, an eye, or tongue.  I can handle it.

Some people don't like to see beloved characters hurt by outside things. I can understand.

Quote from: Southie on November 28, 2008, 08:01:32 PM
I'm surprised to see so many people actually -want- to be tortured on the GDB. I haven't seen much of that in game. Usually the two attitudes are "I'm completely totally innocent, don't torture me, set me free! This isn't fair!", or "Okay, I'm guilty, you caught me, just kill me quick, please?"

Well, ICly my PC doesn't want to die slowly, or something they percieve is "wrongfully". They're bound to beg for a quick death.

Maybe if I'd been tortured or done torturing ICly endless times I'd be bored of it. Death has always been instant for me, and anytime I've observed torture it has been poorly played out on the part of the victim. I don't care if you'd rather NOT give consent, but PLEASE don't play it out in a lame way.

But, yeah, I can see where from a torture's perspective it could get old, or from the torturee's perspective. I just haven't ever experianced it enough to get tired of it. Right now, it's something more interesting then INSTA DIE BLARGH. I think it's a shame that Way is so threatening that keeping your victim alive longer is just too dangerous, or stupid, because you'll get caught on to. YES, there are ways around that, but still.

My two 'sid.

If I'm going to spend time on torturing someone, I'm going to want them to live through it and eventually have an excuse to let them go.  Unfortunately, out of the several torture scenes I've been involved in, the torturee is usually too Chunk Norris or too 'why not just kill me now?!' for me to have a good excuse to allow them to live.  Really.

I've never been tortured, but I'd also love the experience.  There are worse ways to die, even if it comes down to that.  Death by gortok is definitely one  ;)
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I've never really been involved in a torture, but I'd expect it to have a lot of introducing poison, or acid into the person's body, taking a hammer and crushing the bones in their hands, stuff like that.

Torture, IMO, shouldn't be as much about digging a knife into their gut and pulling out intestines. More physical harm, things that would last forever, making the person both glad to be alive, and wish they were dead.

Loss of a hand, having to walk around with a leg brace, being lashed so much that falling down might actually kill you. These are things torture should produce.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 30, 2008, 06:36:21 PM
I've never really been involved in a torture, but I'd expect it to have a lot of introducing poison, or acid into the person's body, taking a hammer and crushing the bones in their hands, stuff like that.

Torture, IMO, shouldn't be as much about digging a knife into their gut and pulling out intestines. More physical harm, things that would last forever, making the person both glad to be alive, and wish they were dead.

Loss of a hand, having to walk around with a leg brace, being lashed so much that falling down might actually kill you. These are things torture should produce.

What's torture without the hubris?

...This is a rhetorical question. Don't answer it.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

As far as torture is concerned, I love the idea. Though I'd want to stay away from too much maiming. Crushing both hands with a hammer might impair someone from doing whatever I'd want them to do if I let them live. I'd rather do things like drive a knife through their tongue. Or cut off a toe, starting with the smallest toes. Or drive thorns/tiny knives through just their skin, piercing it in some of the more sensitive parts of the body. Things that might scar them up some, but leave them able to heal and be productive for my benefit afterwards.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I once had someone withhold information after taking a flaming torch to their -eyes-. So I killed them.

Or maybe they were just innocent....

Everyone acts like I have an IV full of truth serum hooked up to them during torture.

Seriously people, lie a little. It could save your life.

Also, I think the whole torture over killing thing would go over a lot better if you could permanently fuck somebodies PC. Removing an arm or both eyes or things like that tends to make people talk. Really quickly. The only downside to our system now is if I want to put both of your eyes out or take an arm off you as a player have to be okay with it.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on December 03, 2008, 06:22:55 PM
The only downside to our system now is if I want to put both of your eyes out or take an arm off you as a player have to be okay with it.

AFAIK: Consent means that you can beg out of a graphic scene; it doesn't mean that you can pick and choose the results of (non-sexual) torture.  Blinding or amputation would require staff intervention, but probably not consent.

Consent means not having to watch it happen.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

December 03, 2008, 07:18:03 PM #118 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:19:43 PM by fourTwenty
Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 03, 2008, 07:11:15 PM
Quote from: fourTwenty on December 03, 2008, 06:22:55 PM
The only downside to our system now is if I want to put both of your eyes out or take an arm off you as a player have to be okay with it.

AFAIK: Consent means that you can beg out of a graphic scene; it doesn't mean that you can pick and choose the results of (non-sexual) torture.  Blinding or amputation would require staff intervention, but probably not consent.

Consent means not having to watch it happen.

I know what consent means. However,  unless I've been misled, I still can't chop your arm off unless your okay with walking around with one arm. Definitely requires staff intervention but I was told we can't actually go around fucking up peoples PC's.

Aside from that, you people just aren't smart enough with your torture. Physical pain not gonna make'em talk, way <name censored here> for all your information extracting needs.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 03, 2008, 10:48:41 AM
I once had someone withhold information after taking a flaming torch to their -eyes-. So I killed them.

Or maybe they were just innocent....

Everyone acts like I have an IV full of truth serum hooked up to them during torture.

Seriously people, lie a little. It could save your life.

Actually, if I remember correctly it was a staff-assisted kill.  Only the second I've seen and rather rad at that...

But yes, I do felt it was unbelievable how much the tortu-ee didn't break.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Aren't whips actually coded so that you can lash someone so much they lose max hp?  Or is that something only templars can do?

*Buggers off to buy a whip*
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 03, 2008, 11:06:40 PM
Aren't whips actually coded so that you can lash someone so much they lose max hp?  Or is that something only templars can do?

*Buggers off to buy a whip*

I think everyone can flog other people with a whip, but you'd have to wish up for the max HP loss.

Something like that.

As per certain clan documentation, there is a specific amount of whip usage that must be used before the staff will consider an endurance drop or an HP drop to simulate the PC being crippled from it.

I don't know if this is a general rule or just for the clan in question, however.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on December 03, 2008, 11:44:47 PM
As per certain clan documentation, there is a specific amount of whip usage that must be used before the staff will consider an endurance drop or an HP drop to simulate the PC being crippled from it.

I don't know if this is a general rule or just for the clan in question, however.

You should also refrain from whipping a subdued person in front of an agro NPC Mul... Unless of course you just like the excitement.

So then, is the consensus that Capital Punishment by way of death is actually overused? Or is it just in the eyes of a certain few?

Perhaps its something thats happened lately?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.