Foot pads

Started by touringCompl3t3, February 10, 2008, 09:40:04 PM

I like I said, I never knew footpads were explicitly meant for sneaking until you guys pointed it out here on the forum.

Meh, if they were supposed to be slippers, they would be called slippers.  If my character is a street wise city character, he will pretty much assume that anyone wearing footpads is at least somewhat sketchy and deserves a watching.  People in crummy 'rinth cloaks also deserve watching.  This isn't mean you go running to the militia screaming that "OMG a thief is after me!", but there is not a thing in the world wrong with watching someone who looks, if not like a thief, then at least someone of ill repute.  For better or for worse, people associate footpads with criminals.  Don't like it?  Don't wear footpads.

I mean hell, try walking around with a hooded sweatshirt with your hood up in a store.  You will be watched.  Does a hood make a criminal?  No.  Are most people with their hoods up criminals?  No.  Are you going to be watched by store security anyways?  You betch-ya.

Footpads are ninja shoes.

They are also for ninjas.

Conversely: wearing ninja shoes is a very good way to let savvy people know that you provide ninja services.

February 13, 2008, 09:15:00 PM #29 Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:19:36 PM by Angela Christine
Quote from: touringCompl3t3 on February 10, 2008, 09:40:04 PM

Footpads are not something that someone would casually wear.  Given that they are essentially slippers, they are not resistant to wear and tear and so therefore are not appropriate walking gear. 

I think this is a better reason to keep your footpads out of sight than the possibility of "OMG he's a criminal!" responses. 

You can get footpads that are basically a pair of crappy padded shoes out of rags that will work for helping you walk quietly, but if you wear them all the time they are going to get raggedy, and filth, sand and stones are going to become embedded in them, making them less effective when you really need them for sneaking.  A smart burglar is going to keep his 'pads in the best repair he can manage, because you don't want a stone lodged in the sole scraping on the floor and giving you away, or a loose bit of raggedy cloth catching and tearing at an inopportune moment. 

You can get better quality leather footpads that seem to be professionally made, but these are expensive.  Finely tailored leather footpads are less likely to pick up noisy debris than cheap ones, but since they are so expensive you'd be a fool to risk damaging them on the public streets.  Fine tools are an investment.  You don't wear your "good" footpads into the Gaj, and you don't let your half-giant sidekick use your best pick on his teeth.  If you can afford a good pair of footpads, you can certainly afford a pair of boots to wear around town.

Then again, I think people mostly wear these things around town because they haven't thought about it, or they have simply forgotten what they are wearing.  Who hasn't found themselves wielding weapons or sparring weapons all day long for no good reason?   ;D  Or wearing ridiculous gloves or full helmets to the tavern, when they would obviously make eating and drinking awkward, or at least uncomfortable.  Getting drunk while wearing your anakore claw gloves is just asking for trouble.  It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. 
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

February 13, 2008, 09:29:29 PM #30 Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:31:50 PM by Rhyden
That gave me an idea, AC.

Wouldn't it be cool if foodpads came into a greater state of disrepair the more one used them? Like armor, but instead of from being hit so much, footpads would become more worn the more one walked in them? Footpads would go through the states like 'new', 'used', etcetera just as armor did. Walking, running and sneaking could also have effects.

In fact, that would be neat to have for all footwear.

Edit: And the states of disrepair would happen depending how well the boots were made and how far they've been walked/ran/snuck in. It would happen very gradually as well, I wouldn't want to get one's boots fixed up every few weeks.

Footwear degrading over time.. why has this idea never came up until now. That's fucking awesome.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Rhyden on February 13, 2008, 09:29:29 PM
That gave me an idea, AC.

Wouldn't it be cool if foodpads came into a greater state of disrepair the more one used them? Like armor, but instead of from being hit so much, footpads would become more worn the more one walked in them? Footpads would go through the states like 'new', 'used', etcetera just as armor did. Walking, running and sneaking could also have effects.

In fact, that would be neat to have for all footwear.

Edit: And the states of disrepair would happen depending how well the boots were made and how far they've been walked/ran/snuck in. It would happen very gradually as well, I wouldn't want to get one's boots fixed up every few weeks.

I like this idea....

February 16, 2008, 09:17:48 PM #33 Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 09:25:28 PM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Yam on February 13, 2008, 07:44:28 PM
Footpads are ninja shoes.

They are also for ninjas.

If footpads are all ninja shoes..  Does that mean every NPC in a certain City-State, is a Ninja?
I've seen over 7-8 NPCs -today- with footpads on..

EDIT: Ok.. It was more like 5 NPCs, but still.. If footpads are all ninja, awesome gear.. Why do commoners got'em? Was being dramatic about the amount, haha.

So does this mean we are all ninjas? No wonder, I love this city-state more!! w00t!
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I used to love people that classify others because of footpads. I had a ranger that wore footpads because they were comfortable and he saw no use for wearing boots in the city. That lead to more then one accusation and eventually one PC dying because they were so sure I was some thief lol.

Quote from: Indy on February 17, 2008, 12:56:59 AM
I used to love people that classify others because of footpads. I had a ranger that wore footpads because they were comfortable and he saw no use for wearing boots in the city. That lead to more then one accusation and eventually one PC dying because they were so sure I was some thief lol.

Shit happens.  I bet if a man dresses up girls clothing because it is comfortable and goes to a gay bar because the drinks are cheap he will be hit on because people there will assume he is gay.  It might not be a true assumption, but it is the one that people will make.  The same goes for footpads.  Yeah, not every person wearing footpads is a thief... but that isn't going to stop anyone from making that assumption.

Quote from: Rindan on February 19, 2008, 10:36:54 PM

Shit happens.  I bet if a man dresses up girls clothing because it is comfortable and goes to a gay bar because the drinks are cheap he will be hit on because people there will assume he is gay.  It might not be a true assumption, but it is the one that people will make.  The same goes for footpads.  Yeah, not every person wearing footpads is a thief... but that isn't going to stop anyone from making that assumption.

QFT!

Quote from: Rindan on February 19, 2008, 10:36:54 PM

Except that not -everyone- ICly should know what the fuck footpads are. That's using OOC knowledge to color the perceptions of your pcs ICly. If all genders are equal and noone thinks a second about someone's sexuality, then how someone dresses shouldn't create assumptions about that either.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D