Longest Time Played in a Single Sitting

Started by LittleLostThief, February 03, 2008, 02:08:08 AM

Saw this in ask the staff, and really wanted to move it here as I have a little experience with this subject.

I'll start by saying that the longest time that I played in one sitting was 34 1/2 hours.  That was active, awake, at the keyboard play with only a few stops for the bathroom and such.  There were some slow parts of course, especially during the late night... but there was always SOMETHING for me to be doing.

I was very proud of myself for this accomplishment and I asked the staff what the longest stint any character had in the game...

It's a little skewed, because oldschool there were apparently people that would draw their metal swords and leave their character while going to sleep themselves.  This allowed them to accumulate days of playing time during each log in session, and I'm sure that it would be highly frowned upon now.

I'm still curious as to see how long other players have devoted to the game in one sitting.

Please don't send me off to the crazy house... again.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

I've probably done about eighteen hours, but that's debatable. I need sleep.

I, however, Haven't missed a day of play in the past three months that I've been playing, except for when I was out of town for a week. And then I still managed to play for six out of seven of those days.

I think I did like 14 hours once and was totally horrified when I looked at my login time.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I feel like I'm at such a disadvantage.  My arthritis starts to kill me after I've been awake for about thirty hours, making any game session longer than about sixteen hours downright unbearable.  That being said, my hat is off to anyone who can Arm it for more than thirty hours.

Im working on mine right now I guess, might have been longer way back in the day but that was too many years ago to remember.

For recent time I logged on at 11:00am this morning central time, and its 2:32am. I havn't had enough free time to log off, stuff is happening nonstop.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Thirty-four and a half hours?  Jesus, man...jesus.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I think I went overboard once and was actually playing Arm for about 8 hours.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Yeah, I clocked six hours or so once. I felt dirty.

Quote from: manonfire on February 03, 2008, 10:04:25 AM
Yeah, I clocked six hours or so once. I felt dirty.

Lightweight.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I think I've managed 12-14 hours logged in, back when I was on night shift. However, when I play at work, it's usually "play for 45 minutes to an hour, idle for half an hour while you get a phonecall/visitor/fax/have crap to do, rinse, repeat" so I'm not sure how long my actual 'longest time actually PLAYING without interruption' would be.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I managed to play an unhealthy chunk of time during the Copper Wars. Other than that, I can't play for much more than four five hours without a break.

One day.... I'm gonna stock up on eats, grab a bedpan, and play for 48 hours with no breaks....

You would...  That is if you can keep the character alive ;)
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Just gotta steer clear of Gortoks.... >_>;;

At about hour 5 or 6 of login time I realize my playing starts to get dingy and I need to recharge my 'batteries'.  That being said I've done 8+ multiple times. 

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

My longest ever was probably 10 hours or so. I manage to get in 8 once in a while.

I do want to say that I was specifically trying to break a record with how much time I played that once.

I do probably play too much to be healthy, but 34 and 1/2 hours is not my standard fare.

I've pulled 8 or 9 hour active log in times on a couple of occasions. I don't like to play for long stretches, though. I find my playing declines sharply the longer I've been on. I average about one and a half to three hours a day during the week, and I don't find myself logging in at all during the weekends. (Unfortunately)
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I was always afraid I would die from doing stupid things while sleepy...While I still wanted to play...I would force myself to sleep.

So, with my third character, (it was during the summer when I was in Junior High, so nothing to do for weeks on end), I would wake up at 6:00AM, and play a straight twenty hours until 2:00am, go back to sleep for four hours until my alarm clock went off, get back up, and play for another 20 hours.

I dont know how many hours I had on that character, but I had him for atleast two straight months doing this, then another four after school started, and I still stayed up and only got four hours of sleep even after I was back in class, until this PC died...I never even knew the score command existed until after he was dead.

So, I would say 20 hours straight is my limit...I had the exact time all of my clan members would log on down to a tee....I'm sure they all wondered why I would always contact them almost instantly after they got on..."Want to spar?"...The reason I picked 2am to 6am as my sleeping time is this was generally when Stevith and Kyros would have to log off, and noone else would be online until Thalina got back on at 6am my time...(Yes, even after 8 years I still remember all of thier names lol).

I was going a little crazy during this time, I had got to where I thought I could predict changes in in game weather, and I even swore I would get "strange" feelings when something "bad" was about to happen to our group.

I truly honestly believed and would argue with everyone who told me..."You need to take a break and do some real life stuff"...that Armageddon was its own alternate reality...I would tell them..."Think about it this way, what you consider the real world, I consider the fake world. I spend 20 hours of my life every day in Armageddon, living that life, and only 4 hours a day in this life, who is to say whats real and what is fake? You live your existence, I will live mine"...Yeah, I had some problems back then.

I will say that I lost 45lbs in two months doing this. I was bound and determined to prove everyone wrong who said..."Sitting there is going to be bad for your body like that"...so I constantly worked out next to my desk during the slow times in game.

Wow, I got really off course there....anyways, 20 hours is my limit.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

20-22 hours For me was my best I think.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

That's a very interesting story, Desertman.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

36 hours back in 2003, the summer after graduation.

I've never really played in one sitting for over 12 hours or so, even back when I didn't have a job for one good reason :  I like to enjoy my meals.  So, I tend to take a few hours whenever it comes time to eat and relax a bit or tend to other pressing matters before logging back in.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Desertman on February 04, 2008, 10:25:32 AM
I will say that I lost 45lbs in two months doing this. I was bound and determined to prove everyone wrong who said..."Sitting there is going to be bad for your body like that"...so I constantly worked out next to my desk during the slow times in game.

I think you were actually just on crack or meth and wanted to play the game rather than eat from the sound of it.  Heh. 

You crackhead... or just crackageddon-head maybe...

Twenty-seven hours for me, I believe.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Once school goes out, I'm gonna go for 48 straight hours.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 06, 2008, 11:23:04 AM
Once school goes out, I'm gonna go for 48 straight hours.

Go go go!  You can do it!  Set the bar high!

Everyone should donate sugar and caffeine to your mighty cause.

Hah.

I had some ridiculously long play-times during my junior-high, high-school, and post-high-school days (like, I spent a year after high-school doing little other than getting stoned and playing Arm).  I know that I have logged over 24 hours at a time, and I remember specifically having been playing for about a day and a half at one point when my mom made me go grocery shopping with her.  It was quite surreal, but I don't remember much other than that.

That said, it's really unhealthy.

I think that the more time I spend outdoors with real people, away from Armageddon, the better I feel.

Sunny days are coming, kids...
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Yes, it is sunny outside where I am and albeit 35 degrees, no wind... but thats 70 degrees warmer than it was all last week.

So I popped in the new jack johnson and opened the sun roof. I love it.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

35 hours and 17 minutes. I noted it down at the time in sheer awe and disgust. I will confess, however, that I was dozing at the keyboard for at least part of it and still have the burn scar on my right middle finger where my Lucky Strike lit me on fire in my dreamlike haze.

I will note with further shame that I actually beat my own record last year on WoW when I pulled 41 hours non-stop while becoming the first Warlock to 70 on Steamwheedle Cartel.

Shameful.
Don't forgive and never forget; Do unto others before they do unto you; and third and most importantly, keep your eye on your friends, because your enemies will take care of themselves.   -J.R. Ewing

Quote from: Clegane on February 23, 2008, 01:27:18 PM
35 hours and 17 minutes. I noted it down at the time in sheer awe and disgust. I will confess, however, that I was dozing at the keyboard for at least part of it and still have the burn scar on my right middle finger where my Lucky Strike lit me on fire in my dreamlike haze.

I will note with further shame that I actually beat my own record last year on WoW when I pulled 41 hours non-stop while becoming the first Warlock to 70 on Steamwheedle Cartel.

Shameful.

L.S.M.F.T, bitches.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Desertman got me hooked on this game sometime back ..Damn him in many ways but then again from the day I started and between charaters waiting to come alive I haven't logged out yet. Just joking but I think I ran a good 24 play times back in the day when I was in Kurac. I remember having to call in sick because I noticed the sun was up and I started sometime friday after work and seen it would be monday morning. And to this day I can easy pop a good 15 hour nonstop game on weekends and a 4to 6 on weekdays.
craft pain pills  Dr pepper
You make a idled character

February 25, 2008, 07:42:46 AM #33 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:06:38 PM by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit
I doubt I've ever played longer than 8 hours at a time. Although I have been known to play for five or so, log out, attempt to go to sleep, fail, and then log back on for another six hours of play.
Heh, I wish I could do some of those 20+ hour power sessions, though. It'd be interesting, especially considering that I prefer to play mages. If the rumors are right, with some mild powergaming thrown in, I imagine I could branch a few spells in a 20-hour session. Which means my mage would go from a mewling, scared-out-of-his-mind elementalist to a mage of competent power in less than an IC week.
Which would be hilarious, especially as exhaustion mounts, and you consider the inverse ratio of my character's power and my ability to wield it responsibly.
QuoteHour 1:
Bowing his head, you say, in sirihish:
"Yes, Lord Templar. I will serve the Highlord faithfully."

You place a dull black gem around your neck.

The chubby, bearded templar smiles viciously at you.

QuoteHour 3:
Flicking his wrist, a bit of flame dancing from his fingertips, you say, in sirihish:
"Ah, I see. When I intone 'yuqa', the flames become hotter, but I feel more of my own inner fires siphoning away..."

Nodding sagely, the figure in the hooded red robes says, in sirihish:
"Yes. Precisely."

You say to the figure in the hooded red robes, in sirihish:
"I think I'm beginning to understand the basic concepts behind the words of magick. Thank you, Master."

Nodding again, the figure in the hooded red robes says, in sirihish:
"Of course, my boy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to turn in for the night..."

The figure in the hooded red robes walks east.

You furrow your brow in concentration, a large arc of flame glimmering at your fingertips.

QuoteHour 15:
The figure in the hooded red robes has arrived from the east.

Smiling at you from beneath his hood, but still clearly a bit surprised, the figure in the hooded red robes says, in sirihish:
"Ah... Amos. Still practicing, I see? Well, I must say I certainly respect your discipline..."

Rising from his meditation stance and nodding once, you say, in sirihish:
"Yes, Master. I haven't been able to sleep. I've been trying to puzzle out a new curse... one to melt an opponent's brain from the inside. Lord Templar Malik Fale suggested I give it a try."

Frowning a bit, the figure in the hooded red robes says, in sirihish:
"Funny... I've been working on a similiar spell for months, at the very same templar's request..."

Flippantly, you say, in sirihish:
"Yes, well, I was thinking that some erdlu talons as a material component, combined with an invocation of the sphere of 'morz,' perhaps, might do the trick."

With a condescending chuckle, the figure in the hooded red robes says, in sirihish:
"I doubt that will work, my boy."

You utter an incantation.
The figure in the hooded red robes crumbles to the ground, twitching, his brains leaking through his ears.

Smiling faintly, you say, in sirihish:
"Oh you do, do you?"

QuoteHour 26:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I CAN SEE TIME!!!"

A dull black gem shatters, freeing you.

You melt the chubby, bearded templar's face off with a blistering guitar solo.

You tear a hole in reality. The flaming nothingness of absolute arcane power overwhelms your senses.

Welcome to Armageddon!
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

rofl, 5DMW. 

I usually try not to play longer than five or six hours at a sitting.  Children tend to become loud when they begin to starve.   :o
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Are you reading the GDB from school?  For Shame!
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Hey, it's better than school itself. 
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on February 25, 2008, 02:44:11 PM
Hey, it's better than school itself. 

No doubt. I play arm in some of my classes.

I average six to eight hours, 21 1/2 would be my longest I believe.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Anybody happen to know how to play Armageddon (safely) From an NMCI Computer?

Oh please?

No.. I wouldn't do it even if you could.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on February 25, 2008, 11:17:29 PM
No.. I wouldn't do it even if you could.

You don't have to work the GeeDunk.

Though this is probably a dark and sinister path I'm following.

Max time? Probably 5-6 hours. This is rare and usually only during RPT's and HRPT's.

That's funny, 5-6 hours is my minimum play.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

For certain definitions of safe, an ssh tunnel might do the trick.

Note that this definition may or may not include penal actions under the UCMJ
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Longest I've pulled must be... Roughly 16-18 hours, in one log in. But that's if something -really- crazy is going on.

Typically, I pull maybe 2-4 hours, on the weekdays (unless I have something involving a life come up).

<-- Lightweight ARMer
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Tisiphone on February 27, 2008, 06:33:35 PM
For certain definitions of safe, an ssh tunnel might do the trick.

Note that this definition may or may not include penal actions under the UCMJ

Likely true. I can't think of a way to explain to the skipper why I was playing Arm during working hours :-P

Yeah, I was on duty one night when the officer of the day came roaming around.

So I had to leave my character idle on the North Road while I shot the shit with him for a few minutes.

Came back to sitting at 3 hp with a pack of gortok on me...just enough time to type fl...Welcome to Armageddon!

That character had some brutal stats, too.  Feh.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

In the very distant past, about 8 hours a day, broken up into a few bits. Recently, nowhere near long enough.

The longest session without a break was I think about... 10 hours? I wanted to log off, then decided to wait for something, and then wait a little longer... then bad things, and more bad things happened, and finally it was 4 AM, I felt zombified and brain-dead, and screamed to myself that I should have logged out hours ago.

And all of it was totally Moe's fault, and I didn't even get to mudsex him. *shakes a fist*

Recently, I want to reconsider those old 8 hour Arm days to the exclusion of sleep, work, and uni. My current PC's boss rocks my socks off.  :-*

Quote from: Synthesis on February 27, 2008, 10:43:44 PM
Yeah, I was on duty one night when the officer of the day came roaming around.

So I had to leave my character idle on the North Road while I shot the shit with him for a few minutes.

Came back to sitting at 3 hp with a pack of gortok on me...just enough time to type fl...Welcome to Armageddon!

That character had some brutal stats, too.  Feh.

damn, that's terrible!

well, could be worse, YOU could have died :-P

Man I don't get it...I got like a non-existent real-life, but I hardly spend any of the countless hours I have playing games...or well I split it up between various games...My max time ever for Arm would be around 6.5 hours. Stupid short-attention span!