Hoods and now masks

Started by Salt Merchant, January 26, 2008, 09:28:16 PM

Quote from: Rhyden on January 31, 2008, 04:00:45 PM
Otherwise, if you can't beat'em, join'em.

Or kill them.

Seriously though, this is a good example of that "be the change" tripe that sometimes gets thrown around.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

You want to be anonymous, and yet you go to a bar to put yourself on display.

Good luck drinking and eating through your mask there too.

Why are you in a bar again? Is it to make contact with other thugs? Except that it seems mostly you'll just find a hunter, aide or crafter under that other mask.

Hardly "cool" at all.
Lunch makes me happy.

But please do remember that in certain places, there are actual established rules about having one's hood covered. In one place, it is considered customary and no one should feel singled out if they show up wearing one. In another, it is acceptable practice for the local law enforcement to ask you to lower your hood when inside a certain building. In still others, it might not make any difference at all. So if a soldier in one place asks you to lower your hood, your character shouldn't be all that surprised, or act belligerant, because he would likely have virtually observed a VNPC soldier asking the same of a VNPC hooded figure over the course of a game-day.

But to assume that it's perfectly fine, game-wide, is an untrue and unfair assumption.

Quote from: Rhyden on January 31, 2008, 04:00:45 PM
I agree with psionic fungus. I don't find masks/hoods to be that big of a deal.

Some characters want to be anonymous, some want to look cool. Others may have a facial rash.  :P

Sure it's a bit more difficult to interact with others when ten people are hooded, veiled and masked up in a tavern, but that's the point! The keyword command is dead useful in these situations. And if your good friend Amos is sitting beside you amidst ten other hoods, simply use your good buddy's keyword.

The only time hoods and masks are a big deal to me is when it's necessary IG for them to be off. Like Lord Templar McHardy Nose questioning an elf. Or Sergeant McOneEye is interviewing a new Runner.

Otherwise, if you can't beat'em, join'em.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

QuoteYou want to be anonymous, and yet you go to a bar to put yourself on display.

Being anonymous and not being seen are not the same things...  Say I want to sell spice illegally.  If you only know that you bought your dust off some elf in a black cloak and a mask there's not much anyone can do except search every elf in a black cloak and mask (a disguise that can be changed on a regular basis). However, if you know that it was a green-eyed elf with missing front teeth, spiky hair, and a tattoo of a coin on his cheek there is a good chance that this elf can be identified.

People who don't want other people to know their face need a place to do business too.

QuoteGood luck drinking and eating through your mask there too.

Like I said before, I've seen it IRL.  Doesn't look like it is very comfortable, but it functions... Drinking is easier (I've certainly seen a number of anarchists drinking and smoking while wearing bandanas over their faces =P)

QuoteWhy are you in a bar again? Is it to make contact with other thugs? Except that it seems mostly you'll just find a hunter, aide or crafter under that other mask.

What's with the hostility?  Have you actually taken the time to interact with and get to know any of these characters?  Maybe you would find out why they're wearing masks at the bar.  Shit, I don't know, I've never seen it to be a problem whatsoever.

QuoteHardly "cool" at all.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything.  Are hoods and masks supposed to be cool?  Are they fashion statements?  Besides, we all know that the only way to be cool on Zalanthas is to wear dark-lensed sunslits... And they take up the face wear location, so you can't wear a mask with them anyhow.

Nyah.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

January 31, 2008, 06:54:11 PM #79 Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:32:30 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: psionic fungus on January 31, 2008, 06:39:35 PM
Nyah.

You dare?

*sees red*

So go ahead, wear your masks and let's play keyword musical chairs then. Maybe I'll create a dwarf with the focus of wearing a bag over his head. With two eye-holes cut out. It's a worthy focus because he'd have to become a master crafter before it could become possible. Then he can start making ultracool head bags and everyone can wear those and not recognize each other in the coolest way imaginable.

;)
Lunch makes me happy.

I've been reading this thread and here is my changed view:

If you OOCly dislike hoods/facewraps/masks, I am with you, however, them wearing it adds a level of conflict to the game, however small that level is. By them doing it, it gives you something to interact with. Many times I have only talked to people and "RP'ed" with them because I was telling them to lower their hood, laughing at, taunting, or harassing them, just because of what they were wearing. On the other hand, My pc used to have a friend with a pretty cool cloak, well, one day I see a figure wearing that cloak sit next to me, and I started talking to him like he was the friend I knew, but I looked closer and that rat bastard was a gemmer that bought the same cloak. That added a lot to the RP.

Sure, it is an OOC nuisance, but an IC RP tool that I enjoy. Even if I hate it OOCly.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Wearing a hood in the Gaj: Normal.
Wearing a facewrap in the Gaj: Maybe normal. Wouldn't get too many weird looks.
Wearing a mask of solid obsidian in the Gaj: People will think you're a retard.

Wearing a hood, facewrap, or mask in the Trader's: People will give you funny looks. The bouncer might not let you in.

Wearing a hood, facewrap, or mask in Luir's/Redstorm/Cenyr/Blackwing Outpost: Totally normal. Except that full obsidian mask. People might still think you're a retard.

Wearing a hood, facewrap, or mask in the Sanctuary: Weird.

Wearing a hood/facewrap in other Tuluki Bars: Not weird.

On that note, as I mentioned in the enforcing fashion thread, I think the Sanctuary needs a NPC bouncer.

Bloody, filthy savages should be turned away at the door.

;)
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: Yam on January 31, 2008, 07:10:34 PM
Wearing a hood in the Gaj: Normal.
Wearing a facewrap in the Gaj: Maybe normal. Wouldn't get too many weird looks.
Wearing a mask of solid obsidian in the Gaj: People will think you're a retard.

Wearing a hood, facewrap, or mask in the Trader's: People will give you funny looks. The bouncer might not let you in.

Wearing a hood, facewrap, or mask in Luir's/Redstorm/Cenyr/Blackwing Outpost: Totally normal. Except that full obsidian mask. People might still think you're a retard.

Wearing a hood, facewrap, or mask in the Sanctuary: Weird.

Wearing a hood/facewrap in other Tuluki Bars: Not weird.

Beating the crap out of someone for telling you to remove your hood/facewrap:  Priceless.

Watching someone get beat for not removing it.

Just as priceless.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

January 31, 2008, 11:59:13 PM #85 Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:02:08 AM by Rhyden
In the end, my characters are going to wear masks, raise their hoods, and wrap their faces when and wherever I find it appropriate. If there's repercussions, I'll deal with them IC. If you don't think my character is cool for wearing a facewrap over his obsidian mask under his raised hood, go right ahead.  :)

Edit: Though I would love it if there was a chance to spill water/food over yourself if you tried consuming it with a mask/wrap on. ;D

Quote from: X-D on January 31, 2008, 09:53:09 PM
Watching someone get beat for not removing it.

Just as priceless.

Motion to lock the thread.

The entertaining  part about that tour is the thread had pretty much died till you posted again.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job