Hoods and now masks

Started by Salt Merchant, January 26, 2008, 09:28:16 PM

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on January 27, 2008, 06:22:57 PM
I don't know why anybody likes to talk to figures. Do you really know that is your buddy? He might have gotten killed and all his stuff is being worn by the guy sent to kill you.
I know I avoid figures. They're too shady for me. They are probably magickers also. Trying to not let us see what they're magicking up. Probably going to eat my heart. Yeah.
They are probably scared to look into my eyes, also. Only magickers keep their hood up all the time.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 28, 2008, 01:01:53 PM
The hooded figure enters your location.
> shout HELP! GARDS! BANZAI!
> subdue hooded
> l hooded
> tell hooded (clearing ^me throat) Oh. Yeh. Sorry, Lady Borsail.

it looks more like an excuse for a fantasy to me than a problem
some of my posts are serious stuff

I kind of look at wearing a mask to the Gaj like me wearing a balaclava to the local pub IRL.  The whole point is to be anonymous but in actual fact you're attracting a great deal of attention to yourself.  It just so happens that in a coded world where masks block descs it doesn't matter how much attention you draw to yourself, you remain anonymous because the code prevents anyone from getting past it.  I don't think it makes much sense and I think masked people make crowds nervous.

Branches to "stare daggers."
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on January 28, 2008, 07:01:02 PM
Branches to "stare daggers."

Also branches from 'throw', 'peek', 'watch', and 'bribe templar'

Most convenience stores have common rules that disallow wearing a mask inside, especially during Halloween.

Common sense to help avoid being robbed. I could see it applying in Zalanthas.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

My previous PC humiliated some random zoro ranger in luirs for wearing a mask for no apparent reason, it got a laugh from a few pc's and the mask ended up coming off pretty quick. Your pc doesn't like amos wearing a mask, voice your opinion ig, laugh at fella for being silly and go on about your day. About a year ago I remember watching people get harassed for having even a hood or facewrap on in a tavern, why not return to that way of dealing with it eh?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Personally I just think wearing a mask around looks stupid, unless your PC is: a) a raider, b) a thief or c) going to a costume party.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Quote from: Southie on January 29, 2008, 08:41:14 AM
Personally I just think wearing a mask around looks stupid, unless your PC is: a) a raider, b) a thief or c) going to a costume party.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on January 29, 2008, 03:17:35 PM

Lest it fits their personality, or they are out in the wild.

Or just really ugly.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 29, 2008, 10:05:36 PM

Or just really ugly.

Or trying to evade an even worse social stigma than being stared at because of a hood.  :P

The beautiful three-eared, green-haired mutant lowers the hood of his cloak.

QuoteMost convenience stores have common rules that disallow wearing a mask inside, especially during Halloween.

I think this is a very eurocentric (or americentric) position to take on the issue.  There are places in the world where face coverings are incredibly common, and no-one is at all surprised or shocked that they cannot see a large portion of the population's face. Zalanthas isn't a place where people are open and honest with each other, and I see no reason why we should seek out cultural norms that emulate a society that -is- open and honest.  Concealed weapons are not against the law, why would obscuring your face be?

I think this is very much a cultural issue, and should be handled in characterly.  It would make sense to me if different areas in the game responded differently to facial obfuscation, and I really would like to see something like this integrated into 2.Arm (perhaps Tyleki residence only show their faces to trusted companions, and are almost always masked in public).
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: psionic fungus on January 30, 2008, 06:32:48 PM
QuoteMost convenience stores have common rules that disallow wearing a mask inside, especially during Halloween.

I think this is a very eurocentric (or americentric) position to take on the issue.  There are places in the world where face coverings are incredibly common, and no-one is at all surprised or shocked that they cannot see a large portion of the population's face. Zalanthas isn't a place where people are open and honest with each other, and I see no reason why we should seek out cultural norms that emulate a society that -is- open and honest.  Concealed weapons are not against the law, why would obscuring your face be?

I think this is very much a cultural issue, and should be handled in characterly.  It would make sense to me if different areas in the game responded differently to facial obfuscation, and I really would like to see something like this integrated into 2.Arm (perhaps Tyleki residence only show their faces to trusted companions, and are almost always masked in public).

I agree with the fun guy. I would think facewraps would be incredibly common, even in cities. Perhaps not these big obsidian facades. I always found those a bit stupid to wear into the Gaj. But a sandcloth facewrap? No. It wouldn't be far fetched to wear it around in a city and even into a bar. Go ahead and watch Lawrence of Arabia.

I don't see what the big deal is, and psionic fungus is right:  Zalanthas != America.  Cultural norms and practices regarding clothing, etc. are completely different.

Until the staff post a document stating "wearing masks and hoods is culturally unacceptable," I will carry on not giving a damn about it.

p.s. I reserve the right to be annoyed with the situation when there are several persons wearing identical cloaks/wraps/etc. in the same room.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

January 30, 2008, 09:10:49 PM #67 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:26:39 PM by Sokotra
Yeah... uhm... I think people are comparing their real life suburban life way too much with the harsh world of Zalanthas.  In my opinion, there are several other VNPC's hanging around any given tavern (some more than others) wearing hoods/masks/wraps or whatever at any given time.  I've been some places in real life where I wondered why someone was wearing a hood or facewrap in a certain situation but it was obvious for a few different reasons why they would want their identity to remain hidden.  So there are these places in and out of the gameworld and some may be more appropriate than others. 

Still, I tend to be more on the "fantasy-realm" side of this discussion and I like to see a small portion of the populous with hoods up whether they are indoors or out.  It fits the game... and there are probably reasons... whether that person just wants to be left alone or draw attention to themselves or whatever it may be - there could be numerous reasons.  Heck, maybe they just think it makes them look cool and they want to be sexxy, lolz.  Or maybe they are gangsta thugz that just want to live the hip-hop 'rinthi lifestyle and... yeah.. you know... it's a lifestyle and a state of mind... not just a type of music.  Heh.  Anyway...  I understand that there are certain circumstances when/why someone's PC may want to harass another for wearing a hood indoors, but then again I think it is OOC and creates a ridiculous scene that just doesn't fit the gameworld in a lot of situations.  That can be annoying as well.   ;)

Facewraps should be worn outdoors ... in any tavern or such, facewraps would not be common at all. In the market or such, sure, since you will be stepping back out in a bit.

Hoods should be fine anywhere, unless somebody with the power to do so tells you that they are not.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

January 31, 2008, 02:24:16 PM #69 Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:38:42 PM by psionic fungus
I don't know... Why not cover your face if you don't want people to see it?

I have served Arab men in a mid-western city cappuccino at a cafe where they would sit around sipping and shooting the shit while wearing hood-like head wrappings (and once, some dudes tried to smoke hash from a hookah, right at the mall!)... Apparently, it is not impossible to enjoy a conversation with your friend and have a drink while your face is covered. While it is a lot less common to see in public, I've witnessed Arab women doing just that (and it does look like a chore).

I imagine these are much more common sights in Mid-Eastern countries than in the American Mid-West.  Just because coverings aren't common in America doesn't mean that is true elsewhere.  You just don't go to a ski-lodge and get shocked that people are wearing scarves and balaclavas...

Showing your face is something that is just not done in public in some cultures.  I see no reason why this couldn't be true on Zalanthas... In fact, I think it could be quite interesting.

At the very least, don't let your RL preconceptions about this take over...

Quote from: Salt Merchant on January 26, 2008, 09:28:16 PM
Once upon a time, you could actually see sdescs.

Now the trend has reached the point where nearly everyone is a hooded figure.

To top it off, a new trend has started toward wearing masks too.

What is next, invisibility potions for all? Are people afraid of being recognized and talked to?

I think you're way, way, way behind the times. ;)

The trend to stack shit to hide your description has been going on for a few years at least. Hoods, deep cowls, full masks, wraps, etc are the rage because they offer some semblance of anonymity.

But seriously, is there anything wrong with that?

I found your statement about potions hilarious too, for obvious reasons.  ;D

The urge and reason to hide hair and ears (cause the face won't be covered) must be very strong if a PC wastes valuable body liquid because of sweating more with a hood up, despite not needing protection from the burning sun. *shrug*

Agreed with Akaramu. But also, Zalanthas isn't America, but it -also- isn't any of the United Arab Emirates either. In some cultures in real life, women never show their faces because their religious law forbids it. In some cultures, some men keep much of their heads covered for the same reasons; because their religious laws require it. Zalanthas doesn't have religious laws and with very few exceptions, a hooded figure -inside- is considered suspect until proven otherwise. That doesn't mean hooded figures are required to be unhooded. It also doesn't mean the hooded figure has to be cajoled or yelled at. But it does mean that the hooded figure is NOT blending in, and is NOT inconspicuous, and is actually -very- conspicuous and -very- noticeable. So if you want to be "just one of the crowd" in a place such as the Gaj, for example, you would probably -not- want to forget to take your hood off after sitting down at the bar to relax for a game-hour. There is definitely at least one place in Zalanthas where it's just the opposite, but really this isn't a game-wide thing. It depends on which bar you're in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

As far as I can tell, there is really no documentation on hoods and their cultural uses or acceptability on Zalanthas.  There is no reason a cultural aversion to showing your face needs be religions.  Any information gleaned from NPCs is conjecture, and PC culture tends to change from months to month...

I just don't think it's a big deal...

And I think it would be cool if different cultures in 2.Arm -did- have different documented feelings on facial obfuscation.

Peace.

I agree with psionic fungus. I don't find masks/hoods to be that big of a deal.

Some characters want to be anonymous, some want to look cool. Others may have a facial rash.  :P

Sure it's a bit more difficult to interact with others when ten people are hooded, veiled and masked up in a tavern, but that's the point! The keyword command is dead useful in these situations. And if your good friend Amos is sitting beside you amidst ten other hoods, simply use your good buddy's keyword.

The only time hoods and masks are a big deal to me is when it's necessary IG for them to be off. Like Lord Templar McHardy Nose questioning an elf. Or Sergeant McOneEye is interviewing a new Runner.

Otherwise, if you can't beat'em, join'em.