Weight/Age

Started by Bebop, January 14, 2008, 10:24:08 AM

Quote from: John on January 15, 2008, 08:14:17 PM
Quote from: Bebop on January 14, 2008, 11:42:45 AM
Quote from: mansa on January 14, 2008, 11:31:33 AM
I wish there was more range in weight for humans.

I don't see why we can't just use pounds.

A  human could be 90-210 pounds for instance.

Then you just enter in 148 or 99 or whatever.
I don't see why we can't just use kilograms. A human could be 40-95 kg.

Pounds are confusing  :-\

I know. Let's use hundredgrains.

Quote from: John on January 15, 2008, 08:14:17 PM
Pounds are confusing  :-\

What the hell are you talking about.  Imperial units make perfect sense.

It goes like this:

14 pounds to a stone.

16 onces to a pound.

16 drachm to an ounce

7000 grains to a pound.

Finally, my favorite, 112 pounds to a hundredweight.

Another good one (though admittedly a unit of area) is the ever popular acre, which is 1 furling X 1 rod.

Speaking as a chemical engineer who had to do work in both imperial and metric units, let me be the first to say that imperial units are so fucked up I can't even put words to it.  Pity the poor bastard who has to start mixing units of force, mass, heat, and distance.  Nothing like a unit of 1 (btu)(lbm)/(lbf).  That is pound-force and pound-mass for the curious.  The real unit you are using when you measure yourself in pounds is actually pounds-mass which is very different from pounds-force.

I wish we could just use lbs for weight.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on January 16, 2008, 01:59:11 AM
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Hell no. I barely even know what lbs are. At least stones and ten-stones make a certain kind of sense.

I wish we could use slugs for mass.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I don't care if we use puppies as our units of weight measurement. I just want the range to more accurately reflect realistic weight/height ratio.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 16, 2008, 10:06:40 AM
I wish we could use slugs for mass.

What is the acceleration due to gravity on Zalanthas?

9.81 height of the Shield Wall/second squared.  :'(

January 16, 2008, 08:13:05 PM #34 Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:18:46 PM by Qzzrbl
I like it as it is. If you keep in mind that one ten-stone=around 22lbs, you should be fine.

::Edit:: Though there definitely needs to be more range. If my current character looks like he weighs at least 12 ten-stone easy.

Right, 22 pounds is a huge varience. Stone rather than ten-stone would be perfect.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I wouldn't mind picking my weight in stones, or a not-whole number of ten-stones, as long as there's some kind of legend on-hand during character creation for players to make the connection between pounds, kilos, and stones.

There is. Google.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

True, and I use that too, but I'm just saying it would be handy for new players and such. Something like how 'help time' is set up, since weight is only documented in the general information.

Quote from: a strange shadow on January 15, 2008, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: Mood on January 15, 2008, 11:30:05 AM
Personally, I'd like to see the penalties to stats for age disappear, or, at the very least, get toned down. I know I'm probably the minority, but I'd like to be able to play a younger character without getting boned in the stat department.

Especially when you play that character into maturity and never see an improvement, which has happened to me twice now.

Agreed!

Quote from: Barzalene on January 17, 2008, 07:35:38 AM
There is. Google.

Google How many pounds in a ten-stone?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

QuoteEspecially when you play that character into maturity and never see an improvement, which has happened to me twice now.

Sadly, currently you have to be logged in AT the time of the birthday when changing age ranks to see any change. Something I've managed to do exactly ONE time even though I've had MANY PCs long enough to change  age ranks.

Though, normaly, if you mail/request on the subject staff is happy to do it if you missed it.

Thats actually something I think should just be done the next time you log in automaticly though.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 20, 2008, 09:56:58 AM
QuoteEspecially when you play that character into maturity and never see an improvement, which has happened to me twice now.

Sadly, currently you have to be logged in AT the time of the birthday when changing age ranks to see any change. Something I've managed to do exactly ONE time even though I've had MANY PCs long enough to change  age ranks.

Though, normaly, if you mail/request on the subject staff is happy to do it if you missed it.

Thats actually something I think should just be done the next time you log in automaticly though.

That's been changed. It does it automatically now.