Realism in Food

Started by Kalden, January 13, 2008, 11:32:28 PM

Quote from: Troicha on January 14, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
Rindan, please find out IC.

No.

I really don't know the answer, but lets assume that a pile of gemmed are making food non-stop to make up for the fact that half of Allanaks grain is gone.  People would notice 1) that they no longer get grain, but for some reason they still get kank steaks (which is even more fishy seeing as how all the kanks are dead, and 2) whoever is the distribution guy is, is going to talk.  You can't keep large movements of food secret.  My point is that you shouldn't have to "find out IC".  My Amos commoner doesn't give two shits so long as the food keeps coming.  It is the sort of thing that I would be really skeptical you could keep a secret and it should be a common knowledge or at least "rumor".  If the gemmed of Allanak are making food for all, it should probably at least be a rumor if not know as fact.  If the good is coming out of stores from the Templar quarters, then that also probably can't be hidden and should be rumored.  If nothing is making up for food not coming out of Red Storm East, then people should be starving and that too should be known.  Amos commoner isn't going to play sluth and figure out the mysteries of food production.  Amos commoner is far more likely to hear rumors because it so the sort of secret that is near impossible to hide.

If nothing else, there should be a rumor of "OMFG, why are not starving, that is so wierd".  Otherwise, I tend to just chalk it up to oversight by the staff.  This is same sort of things where if there is supposed to be a magiker plague, just tell me, otherwise I just chalk it up not to IC action, but just to everyone and their dog playing a magiker before the game ends.  You need to tell people what is happening, even if you tell them nothing perceptible is happening.

Quote from: staggerlee on January 14, 2008, 08:10:02 PM
Quote from: Troicha on January 14, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
Rindan, please find out IC.

Or make something up.
Either way tell everyone in the Gaj.  And the problem is (somewhat) solved. ;) 

To elaborate on my previous answer, I've noticed a strong tendency for people to come to the forum and complain rather than looking into things ic. Not saying you haven't looked into this ic, but it seems like people in general assume the worst and make noise ooc instead of making the noise ic.

I have this suspicion that if you dedicated some time to asking these questions ic, sooner or later you would get answers.  I've been totally shocked a few times to find things out ic had explanations, where I'd assumed they were just an oversight or sometime.

Sometimes, sure, things have been overlooked in the game that could've been addressed but more often than not it seems like people just make ooc noise when ic noise would be far more appropriate.  In summary, don't assume the worst, there are answers to most questions if you look. In the meantime, ask questions or start rumors that'll get other people asking questions.  If nothing else, if it was overlooked, it won't be for long if you start making noise in game as I'd imagine the Staff do pay attention to what's going on in the game world.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I haven't played in Allanak for a few months now, but realistically wouldn't there be some sort of effect on the surrounding animal life? With grain becoming rare, the demand for meat rises. This forces two options: raising livestock or hunting, although likely a combination of both. Hunting most likely is going to result in overhunting in the surrounding area due to the enormous demand. From there, hunters will be forced to travel farther and put more work into gathering meats, making it even more expensive. Long story short, the ecosystem around Allanak is going to get out of whack, prices will rise even higher for meats, and the famine will grow worse than before.