Send More Kudos!

Started by Troicha, December 16, 2007, 02:11:46 AM

I always send kudos to character that I played a lot with and that have died. I'm thinking that I might send some to those still living.

July 20, 2008, 11:46:20 PM #76 Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:47:52 PM by Qetesh
Just a staff perspective on these, as some of us Staff were talking about Kudos.

First, they are awesome, yes you should send them in. Nothing makes other players feel more special.

But, we have been getting a lot of quick one liner Kudos that don't really say much and take a up a good deal of staff time to resolve. So please if you are going to send someone a Kudos, have the following:

At minimum, one full sentence on why the player deserves the Kudos. Either for consistent RP, for being a responsible player, for being a part of a really awesome scene... Ect...

The one line "You rocked that scene last night, thanks!" is not a good Kudos. Or the "I liked your character, good job." also, not    the best use of staff time. Try to be detailed as to why you are giving the compliment and make it meaningful to the recipient.

Second, please put in the SHORT DESC of the Character you are sending the Kudos to, and a name if you have one. It is -Super- hard for us to find out who you are writing in about on just a name, (pssst... it might not be the right name) so a name and short desc will certainly ensure that your praise gets to the right source, quickly and effectively.

Lastly, Bundle Kudos! Send in a few at a time. We don't mind! You can put a few Kudos on one request. No need to send in five seperate ones. We will make sure they all get to where they are going as long as you have the right info for each so we can find the players.

So, with that said, we have gotten A LOT of kudos in the past week, which is great. So well done thread! You are keeping your staffers busy.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Quote from: Zoan on July 11, 2008, 06:42:51 PM
I totally was sending kudos before seeing this thread, posers.  :o

I was totally sending kudos before there were kudos.   :P

As a total noob, the day I receive my first kudo will be a day of sunshine and butterflies. :)

My first kudo was given to me because I RP'd correctly while getting wtfpwned by a 'gicker. The second one was a mis-target =\
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

All the kudos I have gotten were about various death scenes. ;D, wonder why?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Qetesh on July 20, 2008, 11:46:20 PM
Just a staff perspective on these, as some of us Staff were talking about Kudos.

First, they are awesome, yes you should send them in. Nothing makes other players feel more special.

But, we have been getting a lot of quick one liner Kudos that don't really say much and take a up a good deal of staff time to resolve. So please if you are going to send someone a Kudos, have the following:

At minimum, one full sentence on why the player deserves the Kudos. Either for consistent RP, for being a responsible player, for being a part of a really awesome scene... Ect...

The one line "You rocked that scene last night, thanks!" is not a good Kudos. Or the "I liked your character, good job." also, not    the best use of staff time. Try to be detailed as to why you are giving the compliment and make it meaningful to the recipient.

Second, please put in the SHORT DESC of the Character you are sending the Kudos to, and a name if you have one. It is -Super- hard for us to find out who you are writing in about on just a name, (pssst... it might not be the right name) so a name and short desc will certainly ensure that your praise gets to the right source, quickly and effectively.

Lastly, Bundle Kudos! Send in a few at a time. We don't mind! You can put a few Kudos on one request. No need to send in five seperate ones. We will make sure they all get to where they are going as long as you have the right info for each so we can find the players.

So, with that said, we have gotten A LOT of kudos in the past week, which is great. So well done thread! You are keeping your staffers busy.

Could this advice be added to the text displayed for "Request Type: Game Related -- Player Kudos" please?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: tarsier on July 21, 2008, 12:35:56 AM
As a total noob, the day I receive my first kudo will be a day of sunshine and butterflies. :)

I recieved my first kudo July 8, 2008.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Don't worry to much about it.  I've still yet to get one.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

So, kudos are now handled via in game message client and not sent to the player's email address anymore? Sorry if there is announcement about this somewhere, missed it.

Quote from: Qetesh on July 20, 2008, 11:46:20 PM

I was told in an email a few weeks ago not to bundle my kudos or the kudos request might get rejected....

Quote from: spicemustflow on July 22, 2008, 07:35:44 PM
So, kudos are now handled via in game message client and not sent to the player's email address anymore? Sorry if there is announcement about this somewhere, missed it.

Yeah, I got a kudos via mudmail recently.  I kind of liked having them in my email inbox to hoard and read over when I need some love.  What gives?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I'm not sure why some kudos are getting sent by mudmail. Staff often comment people in game and give them kudos that way, but that is staff kudos, not player kudos.  Check again, it could be that you got kudos from a staff member?

I'd like to support what Qetesh mentioned earlier about sending kudos. We have set up a way for you to send kudos to each other and we definitely want you to use it. I don't want to discourage anyone from sending it, or place arbitrary restrictions but I do ask that when you send the kudos you feel it is merited, rather than just to fulfil a quota of feel-good-ness.

Believe me, I'm all for everyone feeling good but before you send that kudos take the time (as Qetesh said) to write more than one line, don't send it just to send it and include as much information about the pc as possible - keywords, name, clan etc.

While we like to send kudos they are one of the most time consuming requests, requiring staff to locate the account (not always easy!), send an email to the player and make notes on accounts.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on July 23, 2008, 01:40:07 AM
I'm not sure why some kudos are getting sent by mudmail. Staff often comment people in game and give them kudos that way, but that is staff kudos, not player kudos.  Check again, it could be that you got kudos from a staff member?

The message was from a staff member, but he was just notifying me that I got kudos from a player and then included the player's message. Just like a normal player kudos, only by mudmail. Didn't even know mudmail existed anyway.

Quote from: spicemustflow on July 23, 2008, 04:55:21 AM
Quote from: Adhira on July 23, 2008, 01:40:07 AM

The message was from a staff member, but he was just notifying me that I got kudos from a player and then included the player's message. Just like a normal player kudos, only by mudmail. Didn't even know mudmail existed anyway.

Mine also appeared to have been forwarded from an 'Anonymous Player.'  Awesome, nonetheless.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

The same happened to me.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: FuSoYa on July 21, 2008, 03:17:13 PM
Don't worry to much about it.  I've still yet to get one.

Brandon

I sent one awhile ago about you. Sowry you not get it :(
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I got one mudmail in the first couple weeks I think of playing, from an IMM saying he liked a scene he saw, or something like that.

Everything else I've gotten via e-mail.

I know of a staffer or two that does things via in-game mail.
I prefer to send via my account, and usually I do about 10-20 at a time.

A reminder:  please include at least a short description of someone.  If you cannot provide a name or short description, it's very likely we cannot find them.
In cases where there is not a name or short description, I will usually do some research to find the player to deliver the kudos to.
If it starts taking too long I'll just keep it and pat myself on the back for being a good Nyr.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

In general, it seems to me like people are mostly sending kudos to the characters that their PCs like, and not to the PCs theirs hate.  Why not send them to your PC's nemesis?  If somebody works their butts off to make your PC's life a hell and succeeds, why not send them kudos for that?  If your PC gets killed in a way that makes you go, "Wow!" send kudos for it.  If that raider scared the piss out of your PC and left you standing in the wastes in your skivvies, send kudos.  Dig?
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

I'll send a kudos to the first person who doesn't make me go, "Fuck this game!" after they PK my character  ;)

Maybe I'm also the only one who doesn't like to receive a kudos after someone kills me, it makes me feel like that player is telling, "Hah! I win, you lose, but great job for trying, anyway."

Malken, QQ'ing teh internets since 1993.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Niamh on July 30, 2008, 06:23:48 PM
In general, it seems to me like people are mostly sending kudos to the characters that their PCs like, and not to the PCs theirs hate.  Why not send them to your PC's nemesis?  If somebody works their butts off to make your PC's life a hell and succeeds, why not send them kudos for that?  If your PC gets killed in a way that makes you go, "Wow!" send kudos for it.  If that raider scared the piss out of your PC and left you standing in the wastes in your skivvies, send kudos.  Dig?

Usually, my character's nemesi are some secret hidden shadowed masked buggers who I can't get a name or sdesc on.  SHSMBs... thank you.  :(  I never thought about how hard it must be to not get credit for your work because of that.

Someone whispers to you, "... Psst.  Name's Amos.  Tell yer friends."

Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Niamh on July 30, 2008, 06:23:48 PM

I think the problem with this is that generally, relationships that are antagonistic in nature don't tend to develop much.

A lot of people have decided my characters are their characters' enemies over the years. Interactions with the vast majority of them consisted of "PC X stands at the bar and glares at you when you're around." Or perhaps, "PC Y talks shit on you to a bunch of random people when you aren't there." There's no real interaction going on between the two 'enemies' or my PC might not even be aware of it at all.

If somebody decides they hate my character or my character's clan and they run around and PK a bunch of my clannies, they've succeeded in making my character's life hell... but if they haven't bothered to develop the antagonistic relationship or interact with me very much, I wouldn't really consider sending them kudos for it.

Unfortunately, I'd say 90% of the "enemies" my characters have ever had have been of this variety.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I agree with Fathi.  It just doesn't happen that much, at least not on the commoner level.  We are all too busy trying to survive.  The closet thing I have had to a "rival" PC was a little over a year ago.  During peak hours, this dwarf PC and I would both be waiting at the west gate of Nak to go sid mining, and we both had tents.  We got ill at each other for a while  and both blamed the other for over mining.  After about a RL week of this, we started making a game of it.  We would both go out and whoeveer had the most sid by dusk was the winner.  The catch was we had to be back inside the wall before the gates closed.  it was fun. I miss him :)  Ah happy thoughts.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

And then there's the anonymous enemy...

You have absolutely no idea who it was, because you were blinded/unconsious/otherwise incapacitated and incapable of seeing and/or hearing a thing at the time.

So you can't even say "kudos to the guy who killed me" because you don't know if it was an awesome player, or a twink, or just some run of the mill unimpressive but not-twinky PK.