Room is full?

Started by gfair, April 13, 2003, 12:54:49 AM

Have you had unrealistic problems with the "there is no room here" code?

Yes, I have.
7 (18.9%)
No, I haven't.
30 (81.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: April 20, 2003, 12:54:49 AM

Are all these items to be removed from the room going to be put in some mega-room somewhere in the game and available on a first-come, first serve basis?  :lol:

The revisions have made a noticeable difference.  I think much of this issue comes down to how we all perceive space and room size, what with whether or not we can tuck things in a small nook in a cot, though it lists to players as "on the floor", and whatnot.  Since rooms are 3D, there's a remarkable amount of space available in a square room if you're smart about it, so at first I thought the change was a bit extreme, seeing as how my own survey of several rooms revealed plenty of open space, but a full room.  Glad to see the feedback has been incorporated.

One last question though - initially, I found out that the quota was based on cumulative weight. Did that exempt the weight of the containers and whatnot?  And if so, does it still?  Why? Just curious to know, thanks.

Quote from: "gfair"One last question though - initially, I found out that the quota was based on cumulative weight. Did that exempt the weight of the containers and whatnot?  And if so, does it still?  Why? Just curious to know, thanks.

I had trouble following the wording of this question, but I will try to answer what I think is reasonable to share. Previously, if you had a chest, the weight of the chest and contents would be counted, and the room would be checked before you could add weight to the chest. If it was over the limit, you couldn't add anything to the chest. This is what cased the effect where you could remove something from a chest and then not have enough room to put it back.

Based on feedback, code was added to change this. Chests and other containers now count against the room according to the amount they can hold. However, anything put in the chest does not count. So if you have a chest that can hold 50 stones, even empty it will take up 50 stones in weight in the room. Full, it still takes up only 50 stones in weight in the room.

The numerous virtual spots in the room to put things are.. well.. virtual. You can look at the weight limit as virtual too. A 500 stone limit in a room doesn't necessarily mean in the middle of the floor.

As for hard and soft flags for containers, that was briefly considered and set aside. Adding the code would be cumbersome and just add to the complexity of object structures without any real significant gain. We aren't going to be able to please everyone, but this is what was felt as the best possible compromise of efficiency and realism, so far.

Cerebus

Quote from: "Cerebus"
Quote from: "gfair"We aren't going to be able to please everyone, but this is what was felt as the best possible compromise of efficiency and realism, so far.

I think it's an acceptable compromise to keep, though the side-effects may be interesting, or annoying, if they work out as one could guess.