The Rinth Wants You!

Started by morrigan, November 30, 2007, 10:38:03 AM

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 29, 2009, 08:47:36 PM
Quote from: number13 on August 29, 2009, 08:41:49 PM
Plenty of people make rinthi characters....

...then make a rush to see who can defect to southside the fastest. It's been that way for as long as I've played the game.

Yeah. People who do this and are reading this post.....

Stop doing that.

Hypocrite much?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yes, rinthers really should stop renting apartments southside and keeping their money in the bank. I've seen a lot of that, it annoys me.

August 30, 2009, 07:09:52 AM #327 Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:11:25 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Synthesis on August 30, 2009, 02:56:06 AM

...then make a rush to see who can defect to southside the fastest. It's been that way for as long as I've played the game.

Stop doing that.

Hypocrite much?

I actually had a specific reason for that though.

There is much for you to find out IC my friend.  ;)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 30, 2009, 07:09:52 AM

Stop doing that.

Hypocrite much?

I think so do the majority of rinthers who flock southside. You southsiders just need to make it more difficult for rinthis to stay southside for any long period of time. If it is safer in the alleys, then people will stay. As it stands, you get better profit, are safer, get to be a part of civilized society, and likely get more interaction from going southside. All legitimate reason I say to move southside.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Semper on August 30, 2009, 11:22:49 AM
I think so do the majority of rinthers who flock southside. You southsiders just need to make it more difficult for rinthis to stay southside for any long period of time. If it is safer in the alleys, then people will stay. As it stands, you get better profit, are safer, get to be a part of civilized society, and likely get more interaction from going southside. All legitimate reason I say to move southside.

I'll admit it's been awhile sense creating my last 'rinither, but it seems rather hard to make life difficult for anyone -- what with connections and politics and all. 

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on August 30, 2009, 11:50:32 AM
Quote from: Semper on August 30, 2009, 11:22:49 AM

I'll admit it's been awhile sense creating my last 'rinither, but it seems rather hard to make life difficult for anyone -- what with connections and politics and all.  

I'm not talking an independent allanak citizen making it difficult for them, but the powers that be. After all, what made rinther's go to the rinth in the first place? Cause they couldn't pay taxes or their debts and had to find some other place. The current way things run in Allanak takes nothing like that into consideration, so when rinthers decide they want to go back to Allanak proper, they have nothing to worry about when returning, except some good old 'nakki hate for them.

I'm not making any statement or anything, just saying there's a lot of interaction to be had with rinthers if even one or two people with influence wanted to do so.

And of course it is a bit different for a rinther with his/her own connections returning to the southside. Usually there's been enough preparation beforehand to ensure the goals are met during the visit... at least in theory.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Stop doing that.

Hypocrite much?

Maybe everyone else has a specific reason for it, too.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 30, 2009, 01:52:23 PM

Stop doing that.

Hypocrite much?

Maybe everyone else has a specific reason for it, too.

Possible.

But other than, "Oh shit, I keep getting jumped for this 1000 'sid piece of fancy gear I bought southside." it's doubtful. But still possible.

I guess.

I would like to see more 'Rinthi hate in Allanak though. From the citizens, more specifically.

I've noticed people are entirely too quick to befriend rats.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 30, 2009, 07:07:27 PM
I would like to see more 'Rinthi hate in Allanak though. From the citizens, more specifically.

But you're just so gosh-darned wuvable! *gushes*
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

It's up to the rats (and the dwellers of UT) to take advantage, and prove why that's a bad idea.

Quote from: number13 on August 30, 2009, 11:38:18 PM

It's up to the rats (and the dwellers of UT) to take advantage, and prove why that's a bad idea.

This is an excellent point.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on August 31, 2009, 03:06:15 AM

Perhaps we could get crackin' on this if people roll up more 'Rinthers.

Total derail, but Qzzrbl, I love your avatar. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy and makes me want to watch the fish stroking for hours.

Back on subject and in response to:

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 31, 2009, 11:12:12 AM
Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on August 31, 2009, 03:06:15 AM

This happens already though I'm not entirely sure how widespread the rinthi-loving culture is. The same argument could be made for any section of the game (like people trusting elves). I haven't actually experienced a lot of rinthi love in all my years of playing, being that a lot of clans would flat out refuse to hire rinthis, or perhaps the leaders in said clans just made it a policy.

I know when I played a leader in Nak, I wouldn't hire a rinthi on the basis that they were from a diseased hive of scum and villainy. Though outside of that I mostly ignored them unless they somehow came to my characters' attention, or somehow not ignoring them proved beneficial in some way.

It does make me sad when 'Rinthers flock south for more than a brief outing here and there, however. But on the flip side of the coin, having played in the Rinth, it can be difficult to play in or find the wherewithal to want to play there if you are a social player and the Rinth is mostly or seems mostly empty. And sure there might be 3 people sneaky sneaky shadowing you around, but if they're doing nothing to interact with you, there might as well be no one else there.

And while the environment is supposed to be rather bleak, grim, filthy and depressing, it also seems a little empty with some people (especially those totally unfamiliar with the area) having to go south just to acquire the necessities for life. And I don't mean 1000sid silk cloaks. Just food and water and perhaps scrape up a few coins here and there.

But still, if you are looking for a bleak, miserable and very gritty place to roll up a character, and a bit of a challenge, come to Red St- I mean the Rinth. I do have to agree with Fathi on the hit or miss thing, when it misses it's miserable, but boy, when it hits, is it a barrel of spiced-up monkeys.

Should make it more realistic for the slums of Ivory and Black then, limit the amount of coin they get to -maybe- 100 at start up, and run with it.
FORCE them to be sneaky and shady and beggars.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

August 31, 2009, 03:46:50 PM #339 Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:51:12 PM by number13
Quote from: shadeoux on August 31, 2009, 02:52:26 PM
Should make it more realistic for the slums of Ivory and Black then, limit the amount of coin they get to -maybe- 100 at start up, and run with it.
FORCE them to be sneaky and shady and beggars.

I'd support this for UT, given a few minor skill bumps as compensation, as surviving with zero coins is possible for a knowledgeable/clever player. I'd also support merchants in lawful areas refusing to deal with lawless characters (and certain sellers in lawless areas refusing to deal with someone who isn't from the neighborhood.)

The problem in the Rinth is that you can't feed/water yourself as a starting pickpocket. Off-peak, you probably couldn't survive as a beggar either.

Quote from: number13 on August 31, 2009, 03:46:50 PM
The problem in the Rinth is that you can't feed/water yourself as a starting pickpocket. Off-peak, you probably couldn't survive as a beggar either.

Sure you could. I played a 'rinthi who survived off of no skills at all. Anyone and everyone can "get" and "offer."

But, the reasons 'rinthis go southside, or Undertulukis go topside, don't have much to do with starting coin. It's much, much more about the desire for social interaction and plot involvement. And after that, probably it's about using the protection of the crime code to hide out and heal from injuries sustained in lawless areas.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I think a beg skill would be cool... I had a character on another MUD once who lived almost exclusively off of it, and it was probably my favorite feature of said MUD.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

So the main problems of UT and 'Rinth are underpopulation.

How do we fix this folks?

Make more characters there.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 31, 2009, 04:14:06 PM
So the main problems of UT and 'Rinth are underpopulation.

How do we fix this folks?

It really comes and goes, like any area of the game; even Tuluk and Allanak can feel underpopulated at times. What helps to populate an area is strong leaders who are making plots happen; or, the direct involvement of imms to change coded stuff in an area (players think "ooh shiny!" and show up to check it out). Of course, it doesn't help that we are still an average of 50 unique players per week down from this same period in 2006. All areas feel less-populated as a result.

back on point...

Everyone come play in the Rinth! It's the new Tuluk, but without the red Bruce Lees and the frigid White Ladies.... and the thieves and assassins don't pretend to be bards.... we do have our own UnderRinth, though. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 31, 2009, 03:57:16 PM
Quote from: number13 on August 31, 2009, 03:46:50 PM
But, the reasons 'rinthis go southside, or Undertulukis go topside, don't have much to do with starting coin. It's much, much more about the desire for social interaction and plot involvement. And after that, probably it's about using the protection of the crime code to hide out and heal from injuries sustained in lawless areas.

I think it makes a lot of sense for rinthis to go southside and Undertulukis to go topside, if only to exploit the richer area of town.

But remember, for every 'successful' rinthi you see southside, there's probably ten others who've died trying to make it big.

Quote from: Rhyden on August 31, 2009, 04:39:19 PM
I think it makes a lot of sense for rinthis to go southside and Undertulukis to go topside, if only to exploit the richer area of town.

I agree with you there. It just doesn't make sense for them to stay there--i.e. to sleep there, rent an apartment there, eat there, otherwise conduct their lives there. IMO, 'rinthis and Undertulukis should see the 'rinth/UT as home, and southside/topside as the place to which one commutes for work.

I think 'rinthers should feel about going southside like some desert-elf tribes think about going into cities. You duck in, do business, and get back out. You don't stick around long enough for people to realize you're there, because sticking around is likely to either get you caught by the authorities, blamed for someone else's crime, or basically caught up in other people's business. Rinthers should have a -purpose- going Southside, because they should have everything they need to survive in the Labyrinth.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

"The Rinth - Come to help me move something real quick; stay because you've got no boots to walk out of here in."
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 31, 2009, 04:14:06 PM

Just rolled my 'Rinthi character. Having a blast so far.