The Rinth Wants You!

Started by morrigan, November 30, 2007, 10:38:03 AM

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 27, 2010, 08:25:48 AM
Quote from: AClockworkMelon on March 27, 2010, 04:15:39 AM
I would play in the Labyrinth but the day wait for making a character kills me and I know I'd likely die my first day there and be at the back of the line all over again.  :P

Try it, it's a good time for being a rinther. It could be a good experience. It's not more dangerous than being a ranger for example.

Lol.  ;D I barely started playing. Getting water into my waterskin took me a fair few minutes. I doubt the 'Rinth is as unforgiving.

Maybe when I'm a badass veteran like you fellas I'll take a stab (har har) at it.  ::)

Come on, man, dive in. Your next x characters will die anyway, here your death won't be in vain, you'll feed many hungry mouths.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'm scared.  :-[

But OK, that picture can't be argued with. My next character will be, for good or bad, a 'Rinther. Gotta wait for them to get around to storing my current though (no, I'm not trying to store it as a result of this thread).

I've read a lot of the stuff linked to in this article and others (What you know; Why I hate the 'rinth; etc), any other tips for me? I really do having a sinking feeling that I'm going to die in the first few hours of gameplay and I'll have to wait an whole 'nother day to play.  :'(

Advice I would give anyone before going into the bad part of town at night(anytime in the rinth):

YOU ARE ALONE! (unless a member of one of the two coded clans in the Rinth or an unaffiliated gang of PCs)
Being alone is a bad thing, unless you plan on going completely unnoticed, so finding a gang to run with would be a good thing.
The law avoids places that dangerous, so don't expect them to come help you.
Don't pick a fight unless you know you can win it.
Don't wear expensive stuff that will get you mugged.
Unlike the rest of the world, what someone is wearing is NOT a determining factor of how badass they are.
Generally speaking, humans gravitate toward the west side, elves the east; everyone else is going to have a rough time either way.
Almost everyone there (PC, NPC, & VNPC) is a member of some faction or another (or they wouldn't still be alive), and they won't like you going around attacking/killing/stealing from their bro's.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

FW's advice is spot on. Follow it and you may live. For you, though, a small fix:

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 27, 2010, 03:03:30 PM
Don't pick a fight unless you know you can win it.

Have fun!

I've read elsewhere that stealthing is basically the only option? Is that the case? My inexperience with the syntax will likely lead to me bumbling that up and I'd rather play a basic character who doesn't have a whole lot of skills to manage until I learn the basics.

Quote from: AClockworkMelon on March 27, 2010, 03:20:12 PM
I've read elsewhere that stealthing is basically the only option? Is that the case? My inexperience with the syntax will likely lead to me bumbling that up and I'd rather play a basic character who doesn't have a whole lot of skills to manage until I learn the basics.

Any class can be fun in the Rinth.  I've played... 10ish PCs there, and only one of them was ever a "sneaky" class.
Grebber - One who grebs.

OK, great. I'll get to work thinking of a character concept. See you all there.

You'll have fun, trust me! The death toll in the Rinth only rose 58%, to a small 99%! It's totally safe!

My first characters were made in the 'rinth as a learning process.
Honestly, it was great.  I enjoyed nobody cutting me any slack and punishing my newbie cutthroat ways.
Was immersive as hell to me.
Sure, you'll most likely be learning the hard way, but that's the best way to get you involved in the game.
Hand-holding ftl.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 27, 2010, 03:44:21 PM
You'll have fun, trust me! The death toll in the Rinth only rose 58%, to a small 99%! It's totally safe!
-applies chloroform-

Quote from: Gobbleneck on March 27, 2010, 04:29:41 PM
My first characters were made in the 'rinth as a learning process.
Honestly, it was great.  I enjoyed nobody cutting me any slack and punishing my newbie cutthroat ways.
Sure, you'll most likely be learning the hard way, but that's the best way to get you involved in the game.
Hand-holding ftl.
I'm just worried that I won't get to play at all, because I'll just be playing for an hour, dying and then waiting a day for a new character, then dying quickly again, rinse, repeat, etc.

Nothing should kill you if you follow FW's guidelines there.

I'll keep all the tips in mind and try to remain optimistic, then.  ;D

I'm the local hand-holder. If for some illbegotten reason we happen to meet up, and I can tell you're clearly a newbie, I'll grab you by the hand, fit a leash on your neck, and take it from there.

You'll be totally safe until a dozen PCs corner us. Then you're the bait xD!

With my first ever PC I started in the 'rinth. Totally clueless as to what RP was even...But! The awesome PCs in there began showing me the ropes and I eventually became part of the Guild. This noob character went on to live 23 days playtime and was part of some seriously awesome shit.

Thankyou Shorty.
Free your hate.

I just spent ten minutes talking and emoting to an NPC.

I thought it was a player.

>.<

Quote from: AClockworkMelon on March 28, 2010, 03:11:33 AM

>.<

That's the spirit!
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Dude, you don't admit that! The staff were probably sitting there watching, like, "Dang, this kid's got some RP skills, so determined to interact with this NPC..." *+karma*
-Kuh

My only rinthi PC ever lived a good long while, and only died because the guild sent her southside.

And because she was a halfbreed, and wanted to impress them.  :P

QuoteMy first characters were made in the 'rinth as a learning process.
Honestly, it was great.  I enjoyed nobody cutting me any slack and punishing my newbie cutthroat ways.

QuoteI'm just worried that I won't get to play at all, because I'll just be playing for an hour, dying and then waiting a day for a new character, then dying quickly again, rinse, repeat, etc.

These two statements remind me of my first, oh... 50 PCs?

Why so many Jack? You ask:
1) I ran my mouth to everyone, and didn't join up with anyone. (I still do, but I've got enough experience to survive it for a while at this point.)
2) I forgot that just because I had a skill, didn't mean I was efficient with it. IE, I would threaten people, banking on the belief that I could just play for 10 hours and max out my backstab, and kill the prick tomorrow.
3) I couldn't gauge combat at all. If you're outnumbered, flee. If they whittle 15 hp off you, and you haven't even knicked them yet - flee. You aren't going to win.
4) I lurved to train on NPCs. Some of these guys are very tough, and many of them have friends if you're unlucky (and don't have scan.)
5) The proper response to "Gimme all a'ya sids, ya feck or I stab ya!" is "Yes, Sir. Would you like my boots as well??"

In short, socialize before you try to test the combat system out. This has led me to burn through dozens upon dozens of characters in the early days.

Otherwise, enjoy. From what I've witnessed, it seems like there's a lot of good folks to play with bumping around, and a good variety too. (Not just an endless sea of "sneaky types" which you sometimes get up there.)
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I should probably eat my words.

Next character is a 'rinthi.

Hopefully this time I won't get backstabbed on hour 2.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: AClockworkMelon on March 28, 2010, 03:11:33 AM

>.<

Dude, talking to NPCs is like the best way to solo r/p. I spent about an hour last night talking to myself and a bartender who couldn't respond, but rather than emote for him I acted like the depressed wreck I was and cut him off because in reality he wouldn't want to know my sob stories and I would be aware of this.

If there's a person to speak to, real or not, you can play off of them (so long as it suits how you want to play).

Also: Think and Feel. Discovered last night that those are brilliant for really getting inside your character's head.

As for the Rinth. Without a doubt I'll be playing there once my current guy goes the way of Jimmy Hoffa (buried in a desert somewhere). Although he's proving to be a tenacious little character at present.
Stop reading people's signatures and get a job, you loafer.

After being on my long vacation from Arm, I will be back and terrorizing the members of the Rinth population with colorful roleplay and the plague......be afraid.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.