The Rinth Wants You!

Started by morrigan, November 30, 2007, 10:38:03 AM

Mwahahahah!!!  :D
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Just need some GMT players to entertain me now!  *waits*
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I'm around GMT times since I work 10pm-7am EST -5 GMT.  We'll see ;)
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

I'll try and make myself more accessable then, and see what happens!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

...I was under the impression Arm was shutting down, so I've only briefly checked the website in the past month or two.  I'll be slinking around the 'rinth again whenever I make a character worth playing :)

December 23, 2007, 11:44:10 PM #30 Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:29:14 AM by Kalden
2. DO NOT QUIT OUT SOUTHSIDE. Allanak proper is not your home if you're a 'Rinth rat. Try not to think of the southside as a "safe" area. Remember, that's where the law resides. A 'Rinther wandering around the Commoner's Quarter can look pretty suspicious. Keeping this concept in mind was one of my favorite aspects of 'Rinth play. The home and familiar places of my first character transformed into an alien place fraught with danger through the eyes of my 'Rinther. I loved it.

This might make sense if the 'rinth had a working economy and was built in a more complex manner. Instead it's like the Twilight Zone or Dead Zone. There are necessities you can't find in the 'rinth. So much could be done to the 'rinth:

1) A very rundown hovel of apartments for rent (easily broken into), and a set of more secure apartments for the real thugs.
2) Full set of shops on both sides, or one shop which does it all on each side.
3) More rooftops to climb.
4) More holes in the ground.
5) Buildings which actually make sense, rather than just being a stock room description everywhere. Buildings should be unique.
6) More NPCs, and more flavor to the NPCs. More than one gang, some more fleshing out of the existing gang. For example, the name of the Bloods appears nowhere in the docs that I know of, but these are the most common NPCs in the 'rinth and should be common knowledge. Where is their home?

That's just a short rant. Sorry. Have fun in the 'rinth.

I agree completely. As someone once put it, the 'rinth is made of cardboard. The area encourages, if not actually enforces the occasional trip to the outside; the most prominent example is how water can only be found for sale in one place, at a high price and in a location that may very well get half of the population killed should they go there. But in the end I find that, usually, the reason 'rinthers go southside is because they're tired of waiting many hours (or days, sometimes) between any interaction.

I love the 'rinth and play there frequently, but I could never do so without occasionally leaving the alleys.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

I think with the correct amount of players, it is very possible to play in the 'rinth without leaving its walls.

I agree with everything said though, and think it could use major fleshing out (AKA...In the new game, I hope the Shallows live up to its name)
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I'd like, in the near future, to develop my little "family" of 'rinithers (not blood, but with a background)   Anyone interested? 

I should mention I've never actually played a 'rinither, but this is just too good of opprotunity.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I'd be interested, but I still hold a pretty active character at the moment.
A staff member sends:

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 02, 2007, 02:48:19 AM
Come play in the 'rinth you say. It's tons of fun with lots of intrigue you say. Okay I think, wonderful idea...

Three hours of walking around, finding no one, and finding no bar's or places where others might hang out in any case, I'm starting to disagree. And yes I mean three hours quite literally.

Glad you found the fun after all  ;D

I have played one rinther so far and even though I never really got involved with other rinthers (stupid halfbreed died trying to impress the Guild), I found it immensely enjoyable. One thing that really helped me was to make a map of the rinth right after I started. Its not an easy place to map, but if you put in the effort you'll have more time after those first 2 or so hours to actually start playing and not get lost constantly.

Every single character, spare the one I play currently, has been in the 'Rinth, and I just may have him stored so I can go back.... Is a shame that there aren't really that many crawling the alleys, at least when I was last there. Had a character last almost a month there, and I only saw four or five characters stick around.

I'd come back now that I'm getting past all the stupid(er) newbie mistakes and not dying so much but.. well, I'm still alive and after my last 'rinther I decided I had to try something else so I had a little variety between characters (and I was pretty bummed about that one dying).  I'd definately go back at some point though..
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.
- John Dee, Preludes & Nocturns

Quote from: Kalden on December 23, 2007, 11:44:10 PM
2. DO NOT QUIT OUT SOUTHSIDE. Allanak proper is not your home if you're a 'Rinth rat. Try not to think of the southside as a "safe" area. Remember, that's where the law resides. A 'Rinther wandering around the Commoner's Quarter can look pretty suspicious. Keeping this concept in mind was one of my favorite aspects of 'Rinth play. The home and familiar places of my first character transformed into an alien place fraught with danger through the eyes of my 'Rinther. I loved it.

This might make sense if the 'rinth had a working economy and was built in a more complex manner. Instead it's like the Twilight Zone or Dead Zone. There are necessities you can't find in the 'rinth. So much could be done to the 'rinth:

1) A very rundown hovel of apartments for rent (easily broken into), and a set of more secure apartments for the real thugs.
2) Full set of shops on both sides, or one shop which does it all on each side.
3) More rooftops to climb.
4) More holes in the ground.
5) Buildings which actually make sense, rather than just being a stock room description everywhere. Buildings should be unique.
6) More NPCs, and more flavor to the NPCs. More than one gang, some more fleshing out of the existing gang. For example, the name of the Bloods appears nowhere in the docs that I know of, but these are the most common NPCs in the 'rinth and should be common knowledge. Where is their home?

That's just a short rant. Sorry. Have fun in the 'rinth.

You serious? There are Bloods in the rinth? Where the fuck are the Crips? Up north?

No, Seriously, I wanna know.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 03, 2008, 09:17:04 PM
You serious? There are Bloods in the rinth? Where the fuck are the Crips? Up north?

No, Seriously, I wanna know.

Find out IC.

No, seriously.

I'm -really- not joking.

....that is funny as hell.

Now I have a reason to hype the game to the homies. Hah.

Seriously.... We need moar players in 'Rinth! It's like a ghost town.  :'(

Seriously. If you've recently lost a character. Create a 'Rinther. It's actually fun when you can get more than two or three people hanging around.

And for fuck's sake, DON'T MOVE ON TO ALLANAK OR TO ANY OTHER TOWN!. Stay in 'Rinth! Please?!

You know what else works? If you have a southie character, then have him interect with the 'rinth on some level. You don't have to live there to make it interesting for the people who do. Hmm... Maybe I'll make a rinthi' again after my current Char dies.

Yeah, that's the only problem I have with the Rinth, it's dead...  so I haven't been there in a long while.  Plus I have other things keeping me busy.
A staff member sends:

If I see 'rinthis crip walking and flashing gang signs and colors, I am leaving this game.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

The gangs in the game already have gang signs and colors. They don't have the walk yet, though, unless you consider that they universally sneak.

It'll be ok.

Quote from: Manhattan on January 06, 2008, 06:02:11 AM
If I see 'rinthis crip walking and flashing gang signs and colors, I am leaving this game.

Hardly any different from Bynners or militia saluting eachother and wearing stripes to show rank.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

The population in 'Rinth seems to be going up.... :D