Making it easier to enter biographies

Started by a strange shadow, September 27, 2007, 05:13:46 PM

I'm all for this, I have it when my bio entries accrue, and then it feels like a giant English term paper than fun.

I definitely want to have a web page where you can do stuff like this at some point.

Also, biographies are optional, so I recommend skipping them when you feel like its too much of a chore.  That may go without saying but just wanted to make sure :)

Biographies were put in because people wanted to be able to add to their backgrounds. They don't have to be essays -- if you want to track when something important happened to your character, you can add a brief line, but even so -- as Rae said, they're optional.

Dakurus noted:

QuoteBiographies are great! Both for you, and for us as staff, and maybe we'll be able to do something historically with them, but, IC actions, emotes, thinks, feels, talking, etc are much better for the environment, because they convey it to those watching, even those you don't realize are watching.

and that is really on the mark, in my opinion.

Quote from: Cerelum on January 22, 2008, 11:08:12 PM
I always get the... Your line is too long, trunicated to ....

Do like this.  Open Notepad, and turn word wrap off (Format -> Word Wrap).  Start your file with a 70-character line; this is to remind you how long your lines ought to be.

_123456789_123456789_123456789_123456789_123456789_123456789_123456789

Then type your text below, pressing "enter" at the end of each line to
manually wrap the lines.  When you're done, go into the bio command and
paste each line separately.  It's still fairly quick to do.

Works well for me.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

.f on a line by itself at the end will also format your entry nicely for you.

Quote from: Sanvean on January 24, 2008, 01:51:02 PM
.f on a line by itself at the end will also format your entry nicely for you.

Nicely, but differently from how I'd 'ave done it. :D Blank lines are anathema to it.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

.f eats blank lines I think.

.i will format the text, eat the blank lines but put an indentation after each one.

I write my stuff up in notepad, past it into the client 2-3 lines at a time, then use .i and all is good.

I typically do the notepad thing, copy and paste. At the end of paragraphs I do the old .i, and then I just push enter in the client to keep the paragraphs seperated. That actually took me a little bit to figure out. I just can't stand seeing a jumble of text in one giant block. I gots t' have my concise paragraphs, man!

And I actually found myself typing a long-ass bio straight into the game late last night, which was a first for me. Wasn't as clunky as I figured it'd be.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples