Just gotta ask....

Started by Twisted Minstrel, September 19, 2007, 08:38:15 PM

What do you do when you're in that "New Character Void", when thinking up a new character after losing your last one to something impossibly stupid?

Kill myself.  Luckily I'm incredibly inept at killing myself, so I survive.  But it does kill a few hours and get my mind off things until I think up a new character concept.

If killing myself seems like too much trouble I may go read a book, practice talking like a pirate, watch TV (ANTM is on tonight!!!!) or play a computer game like Dwarf Fortress.

Or sometimes, when I'm really in the mood to play, I'll quickly roll up a fairly generic character (of a type I enjoy playing) and hope it gets approved in record time.  Then I can continue refine the character once I'm actually in play.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I avoid the void! (Heh, I like the sound of that...)

Anyway, I usually keep some spare character concepts on a text file. Not anything incredibly detailed (usually), but I write a very basic description, guild/subguild, race, sketch background, etc.

Of course, on my past couple characters I just kind of made them up on the spot... At least I'm not left feeling like I need to make up a character right away after my current character bites the dust.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I use a baby name generator and look for a name that I like for about 2 hours. That is how long it takes me to find a name I like, usually. Then I design the character from what I think that name would be.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I pick a personality trait.  Then I decide a rough concept of what basic skeleton of a background could produce this.  I then flesh out my ideas on the personality a bit.  I pick guild/subguild based on all of the proceeding.  Then I flesh out the personality.  Flesh out the background.  Think of how my character should look, first picking a two or three good words to describe the most noticeable features of the character with all of personality/background/guild/subguild in mind.  Then I start writing a full description.

I do this all mentally at first, just kinda thinking, and then I start using the character creation interface like an editor.

Oh, and I do this all, usually, within an hour of character death.  Sometimes, depending on the recently deceased character and circumstances of death, I'll go a few days.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have a million ideas that I want to do...

But I usually just write up some random char and send it off, hoping for the best. Works out well, most of the time.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I think I might actually go out with some friends tonight..... Oh! Wait, nevermind, new character got accepted.  :D