What happened to reel?

Started by Gimfalisette, September 05, 2007, 04:17:21 PM

Quote from: "Morgenes"I'm saying a bug fix that was unrelated to the actual workings of reel indirectly broke reel.  I'm fixing the original problem properly so that reel will function as it did before.

That said, I am looking at making some minor changes to it, mainly taking into account hit location.

THANK YOU!

I lost a favorite character due to being constantly under the effect of reel from a mob that walked in and instantly attacked at the same time.  I got hit on my foot of all places!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I think reel was fine as it was just before it stopped working (except for unarmed combat). Locations such as hands and feet required a really hard hit to score a reel, or you had to be within an inch of death already. If I walk up to you and brutally crush your foot with a mace, I bet you're going to reel as well. If you reeled from anything less than "very hard" to the foot, you were either extremely unlucky or already in a pretty bad shape.

Quote from: "Pale Horse"I lost a favorite character due to being constantly under the effect of reel from a mob that walked in and instantly attacked at the same time.  I got hit on my foot of all places!

That was always the real danger of the reel code.  It wasn't the mekillots and bahamets that were the great threat, but the tweaked NPCs that had erratic attack patterns.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Coat of Arms"I think reel was fine as it was just before it stopped working (except for unarmed combat). Locations such as hands and feet required a really hard hit to score a reel, or you had to be within an inch of death already. If I walk up to you and brutally crush your foot with a mace, I bet you're going to reel as well. If you reeled from anything less than "very hard" to the foot, you were either extremely unlucky or already in a pretty bad shape.

Since I've not seen the code, of course, I could be completely wrong, but my biggest issue with reel is that there seems to be no difference between getting reeled by a horrendous damage to the wrist or to the head, which I think is a bit silly.

I don't mind getting reeled by massively hard hits, but I think there should be some variance in the severity of the reel effects when location is taken into account. My PC would still be dazed by getting an arm practically chopped off, but not NEARLY so much as if it had happened to his head.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Maybe it is the weapon I use, but I make things reel all the time.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I still hate reel...from both sides, matters not to me if I'm the one doing it or the other way around, its pointless cheese IMO. I was happy with it broke...but am thankful that at least Morgenes is nice enough to warn us that the cheese is back.

Thanks.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job