Confused, Need ideas.

Started by YouKnowWho, September 01, 2007, 05:06:55 PM

Hey everyone, I never really post or anything, I started playing this game a really long time ago maybe like 6 years or something. I always got killed over and over. Really learning the game the hard way. I would get made and quit for awhile come back and have like 2 characters or something, they would die, thus I would quit again.

Anyway I have had like 23 characters or something, through out my time on and off here. I like the game and, it seems like, I always get killed for some reason or another. I have always traveled though like I have been to all corners of the map. I knwo a really good bit about where everything is and has been. I just set up, and go to a part of the map with each character.

I know the games is going to end really soon, how does everyone else play? Do you just sit around a RP mostly are you out and about, are you a loner. I mean in need some examples cause dying over and over after I spend the time fitting my character out and stuff is starting to get me a little down.

I would like to just get how everyone else play so that maybe I can find enjoyment through others you knw "ways". Just need some ideas folks:D
ll we are is all we all are

At first when I started playing the game I was really into exploring too. I died  a hell of alot. After a long time I learned alot about the game world and got more interested in not being an indy because playing in a group of people is usually more interesting. The most fun I've ever had was building my own little crime empire at the tip of a sword, or just being a pawn in high regard of a large and powerful organization with a difficult race to play.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

I tend to enjoy characters who can and do participate with other players, but can also go off and do things on their own. I play a lot, though, so I don't like being bound to one spot.

You die a lot when you're blindly exploring the wilderness, but that's true for most everyone. If you find exploring to be fun, then by all means! Keep doing it. You might consider finding a partner, though.

A few tips:

Always look ahead. On a good weather day, you can see several rooms ahead, which often means you avoid death.

If you were wandering around a desert and found something a sane person wouldn't walk into, you probably shouldn't, either.

Read the room descriptions carefully. They can tell you about things which aren't otherwise obvious. They can also help you avoid death. So many times early on, I literally walked off of cliffs because I didn't slow down and read. :)

I guess I play fairly conservatively.  I RP a lot, and tend to play support (and inciting) characters, rather than indy's, or big bad guys!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

When I came to Armageddon after playing PK oriented MUD, I thought that combat characters would suit me best. I have tried four different types of combat characters, all I could think of. Can't say I was completely disappointed, they had their bright moments, but suffice to say I was able to play only one of them to his natural death, two others were stored and one suicided.

Then I thought it was time to change. I have picked two other player's PCs, criminal and social guy, who seemed to enjoy themselves greatly. Copied their environment for my own characters, though altered personalities of course. That was complete success, enjoyed both greatly. One ended up stored again, but it was not his fault. Death of my sixth character was the first loss I was really sad about.

Then something wrong has happened, or I thought it did, and I snaped. I have spent two and a half characters to "prove the point". Excluding satisfaction of "doing job right", I didn't like playing them at all.

Then I finally realised that for me it's best to make background and personality, pick almost random guild, race and starting location and unload it all into the world, without any plan or idea about future, letting my characters to figure it on their own. Doing fine since then. As a side-effect, I have found the more I enjoy my characters, the more others like them, even though I still don't give a flying fuck about their opinion.

Going to take that strategy into Arm 2 when and if it will see the light, excluding the Cendi and other pokemons from playable race list, of course.

Thanks for your opinions guys, I appreciate your time in posting. Hopefully I will try and make this character last. :D
ll we are is all we all are

:lol:   At first I so thought this was CRW.

How many days has your longest lived character lasted, if you don't mind me asking?
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

If you're looking for tips on how to keep a character alive, it's really pretty simple.  There are only three types of death on Arm:

Player Deaths:  Deaths caused by you, the player.  Also known as stupid deaths.  This is what happens when you spam directions while walking along the Shield Wall, or you ask yourself, "Exactly how close to the Sea of Silt can I get?"  The best ways to avoid these deaths are experience, learning what you should and shouldn't do, and by playing a character realistically - one that wants to survive and doesn't take needless risks so that you the player can find out things about the game.

World Deaths:  These are deaths caused by the world.  A pack of gortoks, a gith, dehydration, or staff involvement - Zalanthas is a tough place, and it will kill you if you let it.  Once again, playing realistically will probably prevent these deaths.  As a newbie, don't buy a set of cheap armor, run outside and kill the first thing you see.  Buy some commoner-type clothes, save some money, and try to find a job.  Get a job as a hunter or a guard, and they should provide the combat training and travelling partners that will keep you alive when you finally do step foot out the gates.

Character Deaths:  These are deaths caused by other characters.  Don't do stupid stuff that will open you up to death by other characters.  Primarily, this means don't go into the 'rinth wearing jewelry, and don't leave a city unless you're prepared to deal with raiders and hostile tribes.    If you stay in the cities, you're mostly safe - most likely you won't be assassinated in a city unless you stick your nose where it doesn't belong, and you make some important enemies.

So:  Just play a realistic character with a healthy fear of death, and have a lot of patience on your part.  Simple enough.

Quote from: "YouKnowWho"I know the games is going to end really soon, how does everyone else play? Do you just sit around a RP mostly are you out and about, are you a loner. I mean in need some examples cause dying over and over after I spend the time fitting my character out and stuff is starting to get me a little down.

I am what's known as a "social player" or a "dirty tavern sitter." I find my satisfaction in the game by interacting with other characters, first and foremost. Even when I'm playing a character that makes her living by the sword, I -must- have plenty of social play or I just get real, real bored. Character types I've played have included:

-- A Tuluki bard. Lots of sitting in taverns entertaining people, spying on people, making connections with people all over the world, and adventuring across the world on missions of various kinds.
-- A noble. Political plotting, trying to kill people, giving missions and tasks to my minions, and completing projects for the city.
-- A Bynner. Sparring with clannies, goofing off at chores, barfights, trying to get people in trouble, trying to get in trouble.
-- A 'rinthi scavenger and Guild errand girl. Plenty of tavern sitting, skulking around with shady types, dodging the templarate, spying on people, and trying to organize crime.

I probably tend to do about half the skill-building a lot of other players do, because I "waste" so much time in social play. I also hardly do any exploration, unless I've got a functional need to do so; though I do find it fun to tag along and have people show me cool stuff. I'm just not at all motivated to find those things on my own.

The only way to get involved in the plots that make ARM so awesome is to make connections with other characters. When you have friends, lovers, bosses, allies, and enemies, THEN you will get sucked into plots, and THEN you will find that your characters are more enjoyable than you could have possibly imagined. So, I encourage you to start making those relational connections with your PCs and really find the fun.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Zendri"
So:  Just play a realistic character with a healthy fear of death, and have a lot of patience on your part.  Simple enough.

Translation:  Paranoia is your friend.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"
The only way to get involved in the plots that make ARM so awesome is to make connections with other characters. When you have friends, lovers, bosses, allies, and enemies, THEN you will get sucked into plots, and THEN you will find that your characters are more enjoyable than you could have possibly imagined. So, I encourage you to start making those relational connections with your PCs and really find the fun.

QFT.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I'll voice the dissenting opinion here, so the OP can consider a WIDE variety of options besides Out = die and Tavern = live.

I'm still on my second character in Armageddon, she was approved August 13, of LAST YEAR, and I play regularly. She is neither a tavern sitter nor a big adventurer; instead, I try to blend a balanced combination of both in. She's seen some pretty wild things - experienced deadly danger, sat in taverns bored out of her skull, enjoyed lots of semi-mundane entertaining moments, and explored some of the world - but I'm guessing not even half of it (I wouldn't know since as I said, this is only my 2nd character).

What I'd recommend, if you want a character to live awhile, without being relegated to tavern-sitting for hours on end, is to join either the Tzai Byn, Kurac, Salarr, or Kadius. By being part of an organized group, you have the "safety" in numbers (safety is subjective as you've already learned). You have the opportunity to improve your skills in a controlled sparring situation (as far as I know all of these clans have sparring circles and sparring weapons), you have schedules you are either required to stick with, or recommended (not sure about Kadius's schedule, if they have one or not but they could probably give you one if you wanted), AND the opportunity to get outside city walls and explore at least some of the world. You have a nice mix of tavern-sitting and exploring, usually in a group, with *someone* who's been trusted to act as a leader, who probably at least has some vague clue as to how to keep his group alive.

If you join these groups, you'll have a great chance to improve your skills -before- you set out to travel the world, you'll have tasks, a place to put your stuff, food, water, and in most cases even sids to buy ale. You'll be able to afford your own mount and armor, and if you're lucky your clan will even provide some of that for you (if not all).

If you choose to go this route, here is my *very* strong suggestion when you finally pick your starting city:

Buy the following, in this order:
1) A waterskin that you can either wear around your neck/throat, or as a belt, filled with water.
2) A sack of flour, cooked into travel cakes.
3) Something fairly sturdy but affordable for each of these body parts: head, neck, torso, arms. Out of all of these items, the most important will be your head protection. Go for practicality + affordability combined over looks; once you start earning coin you can play around with a personal style :)
4) One of whatever weapon style you feel your character will focus on first; prior to archery/thrown weapons (remember shooting something at a distance is dependant on the weather - slicing someone's neck with a sword or breaking their arm with a mace is not).
5) A mount.

Learn how to ride, THEN start looking for a job. If you buy these things, and RP your way into a job, and already know how to ride when you find an employer, you'll be doing great, and be able to concentrate on the job and the RP, rather than having to spend all your time looking for gear while your boss is trying to get a task done. Plus if you already know how to ride when you get hired, you won't miss out on group rides. You'll be prepared to get right into the fun!

Good luck.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: "Bebop":lol:   At first I so thought this was CRW.

It's Voldemort!

My first character that I created had a fairly developed background, that could've been expanded and used in some heavy RPing, but after being dumped into the desert world, I realized that I should probably learn the world first before I get too serious. As a result, my first-sane ranger turned into a merchant-sapping, sewer-diving, passer-outer-of-waying and pretty much became a test char, while still maintaining a slim margin of role-playing to stay within the rules.

I suggest that after you get a feel of the world, attempt to view it again under a new character, and know what to do. You would now know that you need to find food and water ASAP, followed by some sort of weapon and supplies like lockpicks or cloth to be made into bandages. There is a triangle of primitive needs that exist for every being, real life and in Arm. First take care of your basic needs like, food or water, followed by social interactions, then by luxuries, then finally free-thought and plot exploration. Of course, some parts can be moved around based on your character.

Hope it helps. :)
Dynnage
Shh! The cow is sleeping!

I've been playing for over a year now and I'm on my second character.  I tend to spend the majority of my time roleplaying in the wilderness so I suppose I would mostly fall into your "loner" category.