Are independents obsolete?

Started by Salt Merchant, August 21, 2007, 10:06:35 PM

Number of people online: 59

Number of people in prominent southern taverns: 0

Same as last night.

Oh well, on to other things for a while, I guess.
Lunch makes me happy.

Annoying isn't it.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Number of people online: 61

Number of people in northern prominent taverns: 0

Same as most nights.

I'm glad to see it's not just shitty Tuluki population these days.

It's really off and on. Sometimes it's just bursting with life and others it will be dead for hours. :\
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

The way to begin to cure the empty tavern issue is to do more than just look in. Sit down, have a drink, wait an IC hour or two and see if anyone else comes along to RP. I have seen plenty of indies around lately, but of course if it's Detal or Ocandra you're likely to see more of particular clans too. And then there are the merchant crews, who wander far and wide.

Patience, it comes and goes.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah, an hour after you posted this I logged on to find six PCs in a single southern tavern.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Just because they aren't sitting in taverns doesn't mean there aren't independent characters.

For all we know, they're out foraging, killing beasties, crafting in their apartments, mudsexing beasties in their apartments, or crafting apartments in their beasties.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

People out roleplaying, getting involved in plots, and struggling in the harsh Zalanthan environment instead of idling in a tavern...

... perish the thought.

I was alone for a long while, as well, but I ended up managing to assemble a great group of players that are now playing in the same clan that I am, and I can say that I'm barely ever leaving my 'clan hall' nowadays.. I might visit the taverns once in a while, but only when I'm really lonely and no one else is around...

Sometimes I feel guilty about it, because I see a few players that are always alone in the tavern, but then, if they don't want to be part of my 'group', there isn't always much I can do about it.. It's always hard when one 'independant' wants my time while four or five 'clan members' are in my mind asking where I am and what I'm doing...

But I feel for you that say that the taverns are often empty when there's 55-65 players on, believe me, after all, I'm a Tuluk fanboi to the core.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Here, enjoy some light verse rather than another wasted reply:

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble on the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves
and the momeraths did outgrabe.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: "Salt Merchant"At one point there were three or four people. Including some characters who took the trouble to emote yawning and twiddling their thumbs.

...By the way, being in a tavern doesn't necessarily mean being idle. Except when it's just you and you're done with solo emoting.

Dunno what to say about this. A lot of people sit in taverns and wait for other people to entertain them. I usually find that a great opportunity to be really rude/obnoxious/funny/loud/nosy etc. and see what kind of a reaction I can get from people.

My last several characters have all been independents, and I actually found it to be a very active community. Granted, I didn't meet most of my colleagues in the taverns of larger cities.

The encounters took place as I was out and about, or in somewhat smaller locales (Luir's, Red Storm, etc).

That said, with the end of the game drawing closer, I think people might be condensing more into clans. Get the most out of your role-play time, likelier connections to the closing events, so on.

Yes, Its usally like that for me.

I've seen 40ish people on, and ONE other PC in the south. I was like.. Ok, Where is the orgy? And why wasn't I invited..

But, If you sit about for awhile usally one or two people show up.. Then you just gotta handle it when they ditch you for their clan xP.

Owell, I've not had to much trouble finding RP ^^
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

My recent dirt-poor nobody seemed to find plenty of interaction in the south, and he just wandered around grebbing for a living.  I was never bored.

Even though the clans all seem to be doing well, which I think is great for the game, playing an independent can still be a blast.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Everybody is hiding in a cave practicing spells. I am.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

On the subject of independents, I don't think their unclanned state is a bad thing as long as they are interacting with the clans, be they gathering wood for Kadius or spying for Salarr - they're still integrating with the mass (when they're not out in the wilds hunting, which is fine because they inevitably return.)

In my present role I have to say I'm rather surprised. I never spend more than 20 minutes tops alone when I go out into public, even during not very peak hours (well, OK, but not super dead hours either). And because I'm in a sort of 'feature' position I feel obliged to put myself where I'm available to as many players as possible rather than tucked away in some compound that very few have access to.

I felt bad last night when I spent an entire hour and a half in my char's estate conversing with only one person :oops:  - I know that adds to the whole 40+players/empty taverns syndrome - but sometimes it's unavoidable. Still, it's something I try not to do. And not for the sake of martyrdom. I just want to interact!

I'm in ur caves, spammin' mah spells.

Greymalkin, not all plots and important things happen within the confines of a clan.  We already have few PCs that are truly common... unimportant... and independents help to fill in that gap, by being slightly more common.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Good to see a new "bitch of the week".

For the longest time, I thought we were gonna stay on the abundance of <guild> in the game.

Quote from: "manonfire"Good to see a new "bitch of the week".

For the longest time, I thought we were gonna stay on the abundance of <guild> in the game.

Too many fucking bards, man.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: "Mood"
Quote from: "manonfire"Good to see a new "bitch of the week".

Too many fucking bards, man.

A few days ago, my friend asked me why she didn't have access to the 'bard' class, and how many karma it was. She said she had seen many in game recently and it looked like a fun class to try.

I thought that was pretty funny.

I was told there was a shortage of bards.... hmmmmmmm!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: "Is Friday"I was told there was a shortage of bards.... hmmmmmmm!

The buildup of bards is in anticipation of "Zalanthas the Musical!" (c) 2007.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Bards are a special case where a portion of the playerbase always thinks "omfg there's too many!" because they hate bards, and where another portion of the playerbase always thinks "there aren't enough bards!" because they love bards.

Basically, don't listen to what anyone says about there being too many or too few bards. If you want to play a bard, just do it. I have played a Tuluki bard at times when there were three or four others active, and at times when there was only one other active. (Or none, even.) If you're good at barding, there's room and demand for you either way.

Theres always too many this and too many that, or this is too powerful or this is not powerful enough.

When will the madness stop?

Its the same thing every year.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Belenos"The buildup of bards is in anticipation of "Zalanthas the Musical!" (c) 2007.

Yesss.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

QuoteI usually find that a great opportunity to be really rude/obnoxious/funny/loud/nosy etc. and see what kind of a reaction I can get from people.

Ah, glad to know that all of your characters are so diverse.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "manonfire"For the longest time, I thought we were gonna stay on the abundance of <guild> in the game.
Quote from: "Gimfalisette"Basically, don't listen to what anyone says about there being too many or too few bards.
I would combine these... there is always a bitch about there being too many of certain guilds that the poster doesn't like.  Play what you want to play.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

To bring this thread back on track:

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 70 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

The only person at the bar was myself sitting alone for a long while.

However its good to see that Arm population is once again increasing to pre arm2 announcement numbers. I guess people who left for whatever reason (like me) are returning once again.

Hello everyone! Come out of your barracks, estates and sekret caves and RP with me Please!

A large RPT has been underway for the past 3 hours, which is where at least 30 to 40 of those characters have been. That'd be why there's no one in taverns in a particular city at the moment.

I'm pretty sure i'm in another particular city where a large RPT in the other particular city that your (mostly likely/probably/maybe) mentioning wouldn't  (or at least shouldn't) have -THAT- much effect on...at least once upon of time. Ahh well...nothing wrong with solo RP from time to time :D

On a side note its suprising that its the off peak times 4-6 am EST, these days where i find the tavern most lively which several people sitting thre and chatting at once as opposed to when there is more people on like it used to be in the past.

Quote from: "Belenos"
Quote from: "Is Friday"I was told there was a shortage of bards.... hmmmmmmm!

The buildup of bards is in anticipation of "Zalanthas the Musical!" (c) 2007.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Rick Astley and Klaus Nomi will be in attendance. So be on your best.

Lightning striking again.

So that my post isn't completely irrelevant...

I think that independants are not obsolete, I see them being used quite a bit by those in clans. Also, if you are striving for real attention and you have chosen to be an independant mayby you should double check the meaning of the word. Join up with someone, set something up yourself, just because Arm 1 is closing soon doesn't mean you will not have some success there.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Dresan"On a side note its suprising that its the off peak times 4-6 am EST, these days where i find the tavern most lively which several people sitting thre and chatting at once as opposed to when there is more people on like it used to be in the past.

Probably because people know that at off peak times, they know that the clan compounds are relatively empty of PC's, and the only normal way to get PC-PC interaction is to loiter around and hope!  Least, as an off peak person myself, its what I do!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

There's nothing wrong with either playing a clanned or an unclanned PC.  However, there are certain advantages, both IC and OOC, to playing in a clan.

There's a lot of interesting plots going on in some clans, so that's probably why there's more clanned PCs now.

However, who's sitting around in a tavern is not really a good measure of whether those people are independent or clanned.

I would suggest, if you're looking for more tavern interaction, you try one of two things (or both).
1) Go to the tavern in the evening/night.  Some clanned people have this time off from their schedules so the place may be more occupied then.
2) Be the change you want to see.  Don't just walk into the tavern, see it empty, and walk back out again.  Have a seat, so the next person who looks inside doesn't walk right back out as well.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!