Survey

Started by Yokunama, July 28, 2007, 01:27:40 PM

A raptor, imo, isn't a large beast you would catch with the survey command.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I honestly don't see why this should work any different from a regular 'look east'. There's no IC/logical explanation why Zalanthans can't see anywhere other than the four cardinal directions, it's not like looking south-west is any different from looking south or west. As long as there are no obstacles in the way, looking in a diagonal direction should be possible and just as easy as looking in any other direction. To place coded limitations, command delays, short-sightedness and other hindrances on this command would be an entirely OOC penalty.

Well as said per another thread, the main reason we can only look/move/shoot/etc. in the cardinal directions because the task of added the other directions to every room ig that needs them is a -large- undertaking. I think by Arm2 we'll have those other directions. I could be sorely mistaken.

Quote from: "Coat of Arms"I honestly don't see why this should work any different from a regular 'look east'. There's no IC/logical explanation why Zalanthans can't see anywhere other than the four cardinal directions, it's not like looking south-west is any different from looking south or west. As long as there are no obstacles in the way, looking in a diagonal direction should be possible and just as easy as looking in any other direction. To place coded limitations, command delays, short-sightedness and other hindrances on this command would be an entirely OOC penalty.

Because to code a truly full field of vision on a MUD base is a pain in the ass, and it usually looks sloppy.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: "Tisiphone"
Quote from: "Coat of Arms"I honestly don't see why this should work any different from a regular 'look east'. There's no IC/logical explanation why Zalanthans can't see anywhere other than the four cardinal directions, it's not like looking south-west is any different from looking south or west. As long as there are no obstacles in the way, looking in a diagonal direction should be possible and just as easy as looking in any other direction. To place coded limitations, command delays, short-sightedness and other hindrances on this command would be an entirely OOC penalty.

Because to code a truly full field of vision on a MUD base is a pain in the ass, and it usually looks sloppy.

DartMUD actually implements a hexagonal system rather than square system for outdoor movement. It has its advantages (and disadvantages).
Lunch makes me happy.

If you want a command that allows for diagonal vision, won't it be necessary to code that function? I don't want to be able to move north-east and south-west and so on, but if there's going to be a command that allows you to see in a non-cardinal direction, I don't want it to be subjected to unrealistic penalties. It should function exactly the same way 'look' currently does.

I thought the purpose of this command was just to detect large entites(beasts wagons and otherwise), obviously in the diagonal direction, but I figured out of the 'normal' range of view, provided the weather would allow. Being able to spot a town that is four rooms off the the east when you've been riding straight south for a long time and have lost your bearings would be really helpful I think.

Quote from: "Dalmeth"
Quote from: "Yokunama"Theres a lot of stalking predators out there. :wink:

Raptors don't stalk.  They chase down at full speed past the point of endurance.  It's ridiculous.

I wasn't talking about raptors in general - Just mentioning that there are stalking predators out there. Raptors can be considered stalkers according to definition. They are not your stealthy type of stalker.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

What if 'look' became more of a broader line of sight rather than completely linear, where appropriate? I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere before.

When the 'look' command is used, the mud checks to see how 'open' the direction is. This could be done by testing exits (if you can walk west, then north, as well as north, then west, without being blocked, the mud considers the northwestern room open to your characters sight). Other things could be factored in.

Once the mud determines the area is open, 'look east' would yield something like this:

To the east, stony barrens stretch out into the distance.
[Near]
North: a nasty gith crouches here, waiting.
South: a nasty gith crouches here, waiting.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Very far]
South: a giant mekillot crouches here, waiting.

representing a line of sight like this:

o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o
o o x x x o o
o x x x x o o
o o x x x o o
o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o

...and I dig the idea of a survey command giving an all-around heads up.

Let's just take this further, and figure that, what if they did implement that; would that mean you would have to be able to shoot arrows diagonally too?

Once someone mentions looking diagonally, people talk about shooting diagonally. In Arm2 it'll probably be possible, for Arm1 don't even bother asking.

I'm hoping that in the new incarnation we'll reconsider ranged combat so that it isn't restricted to things in the cardinal directions. As it is, I think archery can be a real pain because of the OOC issue of trying to line targets up before they run out of your "line" of sight. It is nearly impossible for an archer in the desert to keep fire on something that is moving around him, which is silly. I'd like to see something like a "target" command. Used in combination with survey, or any option used to reveal things in diagonal rooms, "target" would allow your character to fire on a target so long as there is an open "path" for the weapon, and so long as they are in range.

survey
Northeast: a nasty gith crouches here.

target gith northeast
You concentrate on the nasty gith as your target.

shoot target
You steady yourself and take aim.

You fire a sweet arrow at a nasty gith to the northeast, hitting it in the leg.

Now, the gith can run wherever it wants, and so long as it is in range, our hero can keep shooting at it. Once the gith moves out of range or moves somewhere where there isn't line of sight, it can no longer be shot at. Even if the gith is within range, but invisible to normal "looks", it is game for an arrow.

If you find yourself under fire, a quick survey will reveal the shooter, and you can close the gap.