Fads and trends

Started by Greve, July 02, 2007, 03:12:41 AM

Would it be out of line to make a thread with current fads and word-of-the-months? Both for general humor and for those who like to avoid making a character and finding out that there are 5 other PCs in the city who have similar sdsecs.

This month's sdesc keyword seems to be: "argent"

"woman"
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Not a keyword, but silver hair and blue eyes are on a rage!

Bah.. sometimes I feel I should stop making ebon-haired, dark-skinned commoners and apply for a half-giant with pink hair, blue skin and purple eyes.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

"trim" in Tuluk is on its way back

Eh, I'd have to say that this doesn't feel like something that is ok to do.  If you find another PC has the same sdesc as you, I bet the staff would let you change it without even using up one of your two description changes.

A key thing to remember, though, is that just because two people have similar sdescs it doesn't mean that they look similar.

Though, i'll admit it was really funny that one time a character of mine saw an NPC in a somewhat remote location with the exact same sdesc but with "woman" instead of "man".

Oh, I didn't mean to insult anyone.

It's pretty much coincidence that sdescs have similar words (well, not with words like "dark" or "trim" but moreso with words like "argent" and the "gracile" phase of the past).  I just think it's kind of funny.  It's nothing against the players or the characters.  It's just amusing :-)

"lithe" I saw five different PCs with this in the same room recently. Use a thesaurus... sheesh.

"well-hung"

"many-breasted"

these are used too much
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Oh oh!

"figure"
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: "Tarx""well-hung"

"many-breasted"

these are used too much

Seriously--if I meet another "many-breasted, well-hung woman" I'm filing a complaint, dude.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Fathi"
Quote from: "Tarx""well-hung"

"many-breasted"

these are used too much

Seriously--if I meet another "many-breasted, well-hung woman" I'm filing a complaint, dude.

Oh, damn...guess I'll have to resubmit my character application after I change a few things...
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: "Greve"Would it be out of line to make a thread with current fads and word-of-the-months? Both for general humor and for those who like to avoid making a character and finding out that there are 5 other PCs in the city who have similar sdsecs.

Better solutions:

-- Kill other PCs who have any of your sdesc keywords. If your PC is not just a murderous psychopath, obviously you'll need to make up some IC excuse, but I bet "Ah jus' plain dint like tha way he looked" will suffice.

-- Alternately, terrorize PCs who share your sdesc keywords so badly that they're led to move to another city-state and change their sdesc and name.

-- Frame other PCs who share sdesc keywords and get people pissed off at them, in order to eventually eliminate them indirectly. Do things like: Crank-Way people, be really obnoxious, and then when they come after you for it, claim that it was "that other ebon-maned lad."

-- Petition your IG governmental body to outlaw people who are tressed, locked, sinewy, tanned, or whatever is your keyword peeve. You'll need a lot of bribes and political savvy to get this one moving, but imagine the satsifaction when you wake up and find that the Triumvirate has declared open season on them!

-- Live a while, and all the other lithe, silver-orbed, argent-beringletted lasses will probably die to scrabs or gortok.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

The tongue-in-cheeked woman has arrived from Gimfalisette's post, dragging the body of the lithe, silver-orbed, argent-beringletted lass behind her.

A bigger character limit for the sdesc, plz.

kthnx.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

The short desced figure runs in sobbing, "No, not my sister!"

(Edited to please Malken and assorted other people, because I live to spread joy.)

The Chosen

Quote from: "Shiroi Tsuki"Something very upsetting and dear to me - Malken

That's such a cliche, two other RPIs out there allows for more characters in their sdesc and you never see that.

It was intended to be ridiculous.   8)

The Chosen

Quote from: "Shiroi Tsuki"It was intended to be ridiculous.   8)

Oh, I know, but each time this suggestion is made, that sort of answer you've given is always the reason why its being argued back and forth until we just drop it :)

People fear that if we want a few more extra characters, then in two years we'll want even more, until we have three lines long sdesc.

I'm rather certain that ST was responding to Gim's post, rather than yours. 'course, I could be wrong.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I was  :D   I wasn't even thinking about how my mismash of assorted traits could be construed as sdesc criticsm, but then I'm not widely known for thinking.

The Chosen

It's too late, I'm already very upset.

Im freaking furious. This is BS.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

There Malken.  Please accept my post edit as a peace offering, along with this dead bird and the half-eaten mouse my cat delivered to me this morning.

The Chosen

Quote from: "Greve"Would it be out of line to make a thread with current fads and word-of-the-months? Both for general humor and for those who like to avoid making a character and finding out that there are 5 other PCs in the city who have similar sdsecs.

This month's sdesc keyword seems to be: "argent"

*shrugs*

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I for one, tend to be amused and partially glad when I see two separate PC's with the same short desc.  I still get a smile when I think back to a time, several years ago, when I had a PC sitting in the Gaj, enjoying a drink, when all of a sudden, from three separate directions, stepped what looked like the same exact man!  There was literally a pause for three minutes in the flow of commands scrolling across the screen as every single PC in the room stopped to take stock of what had just happened.

My PC eventually decided that there was something more than just ale in the drinks and poured out his mug on the floor then left to get some fresh air.

Having multiple PCs with the same short desc. adds all sorts of opportunities for RP.  You walk into the Sanctuary and find someone who acts and looks almost just like you? Play it out! Coordinate with the other guy and act as if your parent(s) had had a child you never knew about and you just found him/her.  Evil twin kinda thing.  Cliche, I know, but it's still a source of RP that's been dropped in your lap.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.