A faint shape says, in sirihish:

Started by Salt Merchant, June 25, 2007, 04:14:37 AM

If I remember correctly, shouts will indicate whether the person making the noise is male or female.

Why not extend this to:

"Someones" in the dark.
"Someones" who aren't visible for some reason.
"A faint shape" in sandstorms.

And certain other instances in which a phrase is substituted for an sdesc.

For example:

A faint shape says, in a female voice, in sirihish:

It could be the basis for a imitate skill too, where someone might modify his or her voice to sound different.
Lunch makes me happy.

Had the same thought more than once. I actually believe that in complete darkness, you get "a male/female voice". I agree though.

I agree completely...

...though in complete dark, it is indeed a male/female voice.

It's always struck me odd that you suddenly can't tell if someone is male or female if you can catch a faint impression of them through the sand, but without the weather changing, as soon as the sun and moons go down, you can't tell what the person's gender is.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Perhaps the voice is blown due to storm that is why it can not be discerned.

I agree, that we should be able to differentiate the gender difference through the voice.  But the worst case, if it does not get coded we can RP as the wind jumbling the voices.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Ghost... you missed one important piece of what I said.

Weather = faint shape
Darkness = male/female voice
Weather + Darkness = male/female voice

How does this make sense?  The weather is tearing the words away so that you can't make out the voice?  It should do that when it is dark and there is weather too.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Good point.  So either storm should give the gender away as well, or all storm should jumble it.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Exactly.

Amen to the original suggestion.  Even for hooded people, I wonder if the gender should be indicated by the code when they speak.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "flurry"Even for hooded people, I wonder if the gender should be indicated by the code when they speak.
I don't wonder.  It's really annoying, especially in some areas where everyone seems to be wearing the same cloak, to try to sort out who said what sometimes.

While we're at it, what about masks? Hoods don't cover the mouth closely.

Perhaps some masks shouldn't, while others have a flag that replaces the male/female indicator with 'muffled'. So, if someone had a mask and cloak, it would look like this:

The extremely tall and thin figure in a dusty hooded, sandcloth windcloak says, in northern-accented allundean:
"Stupid roundear. What made you go wandering the wastes alone?"

and in the dark:

A muffled voice says, in northern-accented allundean:
"Stupid roundear. What made you go wandering the wastes alone"?

Just a thought.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: "Ghost"Perhaps the voice is blown due to storm that is why it can not be discerned.

I woud expect that the voice would become unintelligible before it would lose gender characteristics.

Think about when people talk in the case where there's background noise enough to not understand them properly. You can still tell if it's a male or female talking, right? You can still even recognize the voice as an individual you know.

Your suggestion isn't a bad one in the sense that maybe storms should make voices unintelligible. So in a raging wind you might see

A faint shape says something, but the wind rips her voice away.

A faint shape shouts, in a female voice, in sirihish:
  "We've got to find shelter!"
Lunch makes me happy.